📣 A bit about the role.
At Butternut, we put the food back into dog food. We believe dogs deserve to eat the healthiest, most natural, and tastiest food with none of the nasties. That’s why we make freshly prepared dog food. Cooked like you would at home. Delivered in perfect portions.
We want to change the pet food industry for the better by helping dogs live healthier, happier and longer lives. We have come a long way since our co-founders (Kevin & David) hand-delivered the first Butternut Box.
We are on a mission to provide the best customer experience, feed more dogs and revolutionise an arcane industry using the latest technology. That’s where you come in.
Who we are looking for.
You are a software engineer with 4+ years of commercial experience with Ruby on Rails. You enjoy people management but still want to stay hands-on with the code (we see this role as being 70% hands-on with code and 30% people and process management). You care deeply about the quality of products you and your team build, and are motivated by constantly shipping features and products that directly impact customer's lives. Seeing users benefit from your work is what gets you out of the bed in the morning. You love the web and new technologies (We use React, Redux, and Rails 6 on a daily basis). You work best by collaborating with other engineers, designers, and product managers to make this all happen. Finally, you can't think of anything better than joining a company whose mission is to improve dog's lives.
A bit about the role.
As part of the Growth Product Engineering team, you will work closely with engineers, product managers, designers and stakeholders to help solve our customers' problems and directly impact their (and their dog's) daily lives. Alongside a Product Manager, you will lead one of our Growth teams.
This role is either based out of our London office, or is fully remote. For remote applicants, we will require applicants to be based in GMT +/- 2 hours timezones. For London based candidates, we are continuing to monitor the Government's guidelines in regards to Covid-19 and this role will involve working from home until it is safe to resume working from our office.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Ship customer-facing products constantly.
- Contribute to the architecture and development direction of the team to ensure quality code is written and excellent products are built.
- Work across the stack (Ruby on Rails, React JS, Redux, PostgreSQL) to deliver quality, maintainable code. This role will be more focused on the Rails side of things but a willingness to pick up front end technologies like ReactJS and Redux is required.
- Collaborate and learn with other team members via pair programming, mentoring, code reviews, and technical talks.
- Help your team deliver features on time while considering aspects like maintainability and reliability.
- Help manage members of your team and help them grow and develop at Butternut.
- Learn about and champion best practices in code, architecture & processes.
A bit about you.
- 4+ years commercial experience in a similar role with Ruby and Rails.
- An interest in constantly learning new tools and developing your skills
- A true motivation to ship customer-facing products
- Pro-active, driven, entrepreneurial 'can do’ attitude.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment.
- Passion for startups.
- Obsessed with dogs!
What we can offer.
- The ability to make a huge impact at a VC-backed startup.
- Competitive salary & all the equipment you need.
- 24 days holiday per year.
- A dedicated office in a co-working space in White City if you wish to be based in London.
- Weekly ‘lunch & learns’
- Friday beers, monthly socials, and quarterly off-site events.
- Lots of office dogs to hang out with. (Chambó, Lexie, Bella, Willow & Pugwash to name a few)
We have big plans to grow over the next few years so it is an exciting time to be joining BB. You will have the opportunity to play a crucial role in developing the products that will define the future of Butternut Box. This role is for someone who is hungry for that challenge.
Butternut Box is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity and inclusion. We welcome people of different nationalities, backgrounds, experiences abilities and perspectives.
The requirements listed here are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. We encourage you to apply even if you don't meet the exact criteria listed. There’s no deadline for applications for this role, at Butternut we’ll always wait until we’ve found the perfect person 🐶