Bungie is looking to you to help us bring Lighting to the next level in a new unannounced title. When you walk into a corridor, does the mood and tone speak to you? Do you find yourself fascinated by the navigational guidance and points of interest provided by the lighting? Are you excited to immerse players in a captivating world? Whether it’s natural or artificial light sources, color grading, or volumetrics - we know how important a role Lighting plays in the game’s experience.
As a Lighting Artist, your responsibilities will vary from realizing the Art Director's vision for lighting in an environment, to helping achieve frame performance expectations. You will enhance the tone of the world and collaborate with other disciplines to define best practices for visual goals. Utilizing proprietary tools, you’ll embellish the worlds, characters, and narrative content with lighting. Support the team’s goals with reviews for both technical and creative endeavors. Most importantly, you’ll create a breathtaking experience to delight players around the world.
If this is the experience you’re looking for, we are right there with you! It's what drives us every day - give us a shout, we want to hear from you. Be a part of our team and let's create bold new worlds together!
- Develop and maintain lighting in our games in a manner that is consistent with Art Direction
- Drive lighting for game worlds, dynamic/scripted lighting, character, and hard surface object light rigs
- Work with the tools and engine departments to prototype and test new lighting technology
- Work with Design stakeholders to ensure gameplay needs are met
- Stay informed on new developments in rendering, particularly about lighting, atmosphere, and surfaces
- Provide constructive feedback to production artists who are working on lighting-related tasks
- Strong understanding and sense in lighting, shadow, and color to create a visually engaging piece
- Ability to follow and adapt to a wide range of design references to achieve lighting expectations
- Experience in lighting characters and environments, interior & exterior, different times of day, etc. With various lighting techniques and tools
- Understanding of composition and the ability to enhance mood through lighting
- Experience with materials/shaders and an understanding of their relationship with light
- Competent 3d modeling / texturing skills (ie. light fixtures / practical support for light sources)
- Wide understanding of lighting/rendering technologies
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Comfortable working in a collaborative environment, taking direction from Art Director/Leads, and working with others on problem-solving
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4, 5, Unity3D or other modern development toolsets
- Experience with and passion for game
This range is determined by an array of factors, including training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs, and market demands. Additionally, it is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
In the journey to make incredible worlds, Bungie employees don't simply do meaningful work - they receive meaningful support. Competitive salaries and discretionary bonus opportunities are just the start. We offer comprehensive healthcare coverage, generous 401(k) matching, flexible time off policies, paid parental leave, social clubs, and so much more. Check out our benefits page: Benefits - Bungie Careers to see all the perks that come with joining Bungie.
- 20 days of accrued time-off in the form of PTO and sabbatical days, depending on the level of the position
- 10 paid Floating Days annually, prorated in the first year of employment based on start date
- 10 paid Bungie-observed holidays annually
- One hour of Paid Sick Time (PST) for every 30 hours worked
International FTE employees receive competitive benefits.