Are you an experienced Design Director who loves working across multiple disciplines? Do you want to take an exciting vision and turn it into visceral, polished gameplay? Bungie Studios is looking for a Design Director who can guide a large-scale, high-visibility live game in for a perfect landing, meeting the highest expectations for player experience and engagement.
As Gameplay Design Director, you’ll work closely with other teams and discipline leaders. You will create exciting action experiences, visceral weapons and abilities, compelling mastery builds, and fun, challenging AI combatants. You’ll also be leading the team to build up communication methods, refine workflows, drive user research, and maintain high accountability for game quality and deliverables. You will ensure that teams and peers collaborate effectively to advance their craft and ensure their work meets Bungie’s highest bar for quality.
- Aligning with project leadership on goals, features, and quality targets, then breaking them down into actionable, achievable objectives for implementation
- Being the representative leader for the Gameplay team in defining and evaluating success
- Communicating the progress and importance of features upward to Project Leadership and outward to the entire team
- Creating alignment through communication, collaboration, and coordination between the project’s Gameplay team and the rest of the organization
- Evaluating and pushing forward features and updates proposed by your teammates
- Planning future needs and issues for the game with other area discipline leads
- Anticipating live-game updates to balance and tuning in conjunction with product plans
- Managing and mentoring design leads on your team
- Ability to bring order to chaos, drive decision-making and establish robust communication across disciplines
- Expert knowledge of player character, AI and multiplayer combat systems for action games
- Experience successfully leading multiple interdisciplinary teams through several game development cycles
- Highly approachable – able to provide ongoing direction, feedback, and support for your teams and their work in an effective and timely manner
- Knowledge of many types of action games (FPS, 3rd person, melee combat, ARPG, etc.) and online play (cooperative, competitive, shooter, MMO, etc.)
- Ability to interpret and achieve high-level experience goals set by game and studio leadership
- Ability to balance asks for short-term problems alongside long-term goals
- Self-motivated with a demonstrable ability to inspire and motivate your team
- Experience hiring, training, mentoring, and managing peer and junior designers
- In-depth understanding of game engines, technology, and the game development process
- Thorough oral and written communication skills.
This range is determined by an array of factors, including training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs, and market demands. Additionally, it is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
In the journey to make incredible worlds, Bungie employees don't simply do meaningful work - they receive meaningful support. Competitive salaries and discretionary bonus opportunities are just the start. We offer comprehensive healthcare coverage, generous 401(k) matching, flexible time off policies, paid parental leave, social clubs, and so much more. Check out our benefits page: Benefits - Bungie Careers to see all the perks that come with joining Bungie.
- 20 days of accrued time-off in the form of PTO and sabbatical days, depending on the level of the position
- 10 paid Floating Days annually, prorated in the first year of employment based on start date
- 10 paid Bungie-observed holidays annually
- One hour of Paid Sick Time (PST) for every 30 hours worked
International FTE employees receive competitive benefits.