Are you excited by game design, but even more passionate about developing amazing game designers? Do you take as much pride in your coaching and organization management skills as you do your ability to design engaging games? Is hearing a person in your department say, "I’m getting such clear feedback from my manager" music to your ears?
As a Design Manager on Destiny, you will assist the Design Department Manager with mentoring, managing, and building culture within the Destiny design team. You will partner closely with the Destiny directors to make sure the design team is effectively meeting current and anticipated project needs. You will help guide and train new managers, participate extensively in the recruitment process, organize and drive craft development, and assist in the performance review process. You will train managers in the department to give clear and regular feedback, and ensure proper 1-on-1s are occurring. You will work with the studio’s Design Department Manager and Head of Design to help build the most happy, engaged, and ever-learning design organization in the industry. While we value and desire a strong design background, this role is primarily focused on people management and organizational health.
With the uncertainty and rapidly changing circumstances surrounding COVID-19, most positions at Bungie are expected to onboard and work from home for a significant portion of 2021. In 2022, most Bungie employees will adopt a flexible schedule working from home part time (outside of positions identified as either 100% onsite or fully remote in CA, IL, NC, TX, and WA). Currently only a select range of positions are available for full-time remote work in CA, IL, NC, TX, and WA (please review location for details). Prospective employees located outside of CA, IL, NC, TX, and WA will need to establish WA state residency within 45 days of a start date. Bungie’s work from home, flexible work schedule, and remote policy is subject to change at the company’s discretion.
- Build strong relationships with the Destiny directors (creative, design, production, and other disciplines) to ensure franchise needs are being met
- Fine-tune and oversee the recruiting process for Destiny while keeping it aligned with the other departments.
- Manage performance review cycles to ensure proper feedback is given and that promotions are awarded fairly with consistent standards
- Establish a culture of strong management in the department, and ensure that clear feedback is given, accountability is high, and designers feel supported
- Make focused efforts to increase diversity in the department and develop leaders from under-represented communities
- Scour the industry for best practices in craft, culture, and management, developing and leading strategies to mentor and grow our talent
- Work with creative and design directors to improve organization, processes, practices, and communication in the department
- Work with the Head of Design to define department philosophies, strategies, and values
- Relentlessly evangelize and hold people accountable to Bungie design values
- Proven experience managing and/or leading a design organization of 10+ people
- Proven professional experience as a senior designer (or above)
- Exceptional emotional intelligence and communication skills