Are you excited about leading a large engineering team to evolve a world-class game to new heights, while working at a company that values diversity, carefully guards work/life balance, and propels positive social change?
We’re looking for an Engineering Director to join the Destiny 2 Leadership Team. Reporting to Bungie’s Head of Engineering, you’ll lead ~60 engineers, help guide Destiny 2 as a whole, and collaborate on many challenges and opportunities - even beyond engineering. Hopefully you’ll find it’s also a lot of fun!
With the uncertainty and rapidly changing circumstances surrounding COVID-19, most positions at Bungie are expected to onboard and work from home for a significant portion of 2021. In 2022, most Bungie employees will adopt a flexible schedule working from home part time (outside of positions identified as either 100% onsite or fully remote in WA & CA). Currently only a select range of positions are available for full-time remote work in WA & CA (please review location for details). Prospective employees located outside of CA & WA will need to establish WA state residency within 45 days of a start date. Bungie’s work from home, flexible work schedule, and remote policy is subject to change at the company’s discretion.
- Manage and mentor 3-5 engineering group leads
- Develop and evangelize an inspiring engineering vision that supports our creative and business goals
- Incrementally evolve engineering processes and technical culture to ensure high-quality execution and sustainable results
- Architect engineering team reactions to new needs and priority shifts
- Resolve difficult cross-group tradeoffs with diligence and empathy
- Review and guide large-scale tech architecture and delivery plans
- Manage technical risk effectively, striking a balance between pragmatism and idealism
- Strategize to keep the live game running reliably, and help with occasional off-hours live escalations
- Forecast resource needs and allocate resources to groups and teams
- Maintain and evolve the management quality bar for Destiny 2 engineering managers
- Handle difficult management and personnel situations
- Collaborate outside of Destiny - with central tech teams, operations teams, and others – maintaining strong relationships, priority alignment, and technology alignment
- Reinforce and upgrade our culture of inclusivity, positivity, vulnerability, and cooperation - a collaborative culture is very important to us
- Able to operate at multiple abstraction levels, from high level discussions with non-technical customers to understanding and assisting with deep tech challenges
- Experience leading other engineering leads on AAA game engineering teams
- Excellent organizational and process design skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong emotional intelligence
- Experience working on live service games