Were you a software engineer in a past life who has now chosen a different path? Are you always finding yourself thinking about how to do things more efficiently and in a more cost-effective way? Are you constantly sharing how-to’s, fix-it’s, tips, and hacks with other people? Have you found yourself becoming a translator and peacemaker between creatives and engineers? Are you drawn to game design? Do you seek an opportunity where you can combine your programming experience with your game design talent to solve challenging and interesting problems? If so, we have the job for you! Bungie Studios is looking for a passionate, creative, and hard-working Technical Designer for our Destiny live team.
With the uncertainty and rapidly changing circumstances surrounding COVID-19, most positions at Bungie are expected to onboard and work from home for a significant portion of 2021. In 2022, most Bungie employees will adopt a flexible schedule working from home part time (outside of positions identified as either 100% onsite or fully remote in WA & CA). Currently only a select range of positions are available for full-time remote work in WA & CA (please review location for details). Prospective employees located outside of CA & WA will need to establish WA state residency within 45 days of a start date. Bungie’s work from home, flexible work schedule, and remote policy is subject to change at the company’s discretion.
- Help designers build experiences, gameplay objects, and set pieces, while providing hooks for other teams to sell the visual experience
- Drive collaborations with other disciplines (art, audio, effects, etc.) to achieve top notch gameplay experiences
- Be the primary “go-to” person for implementation of complex content that stretches the capability of existing systems and projects that require heavy design/engineer interactions.
- Willingness to dive into the not-so-well documented spaces between teams to understand the limitations and find creative solutions to align disciplines
- Skillfully revise design specs to meet the limitations of the engine while maintaining the defined experience goals
- This is primarily a game design role, but if needed you must be able to perform the duties of a software engineer. You will spend the vast majority of your time on design, but for specific projects, some of your time may be dedicated to programming
- Good design instincts and an understanding of how core systems effects gameplay
- A willingness to take design direction when it is offered and collaborate with team members from different disciplines
- A relentless desire for solving design problems; you are sociable and an information sharer
- Be a leader within the department for cleanly implementing content with our designer tools and scripting language and solve creative/technical problems with design and engineering
- Be able to define and maintain production pipeline, process, and workflow
- Ability to drive tracking down problems in current systems, predicting problems in developing systems, producing test cases, and implementing fixes in systems and tools
- Multiple programming languages: one of C/C++/C#/Java to a reasonable knowledge required
- Technical Degree (CS, IT, SE, CE, or equivalent work experience) is a plus
- Experience in a non-design development role (artist, animator, audio, engineer, etc.)
- Familiarity with 3D creation tools (Max, Maya)
- Experience managing/leading a team of designers
- Experience working on games as a service