Are you excited about being on the front line of releasing online games to the world? Do you take pride in building and maintaining with high availability services an online presence used by millions of players? Are you excited to engage with coworkers and partners to gather requirements and feedback, ultimately helping to drive consensus towards the best possible outcome for customers? Would you like to work with top industry talent to build one of the best online game services in the world today?
As a Game Services Engineer at Bungie you will be working closely with other service engineers, systems engineers, operations, and product owners to maintain and iteratively improve Bungie’s online world. You’ll not only know our current services — you’ll help improve them it with the goal of creating a better online experience for our players while helping Bungie deliver on the company’s core purpose: to create worlds that inspire friendship by creating services that bring players from all over the world together. We're a small team without strict lines, so you'll be wearing a lot of hats: architect, developer, performance engineer, devops specialist, play tester...whatever it takes to get the job done.
This position is available for full-time remote work in WA & CA.
With the uncertainty and rapidly changing circumstances surrounding COVID-19, most positions at Bungie are expected to onboard and work from home for a significant portion of 2021. In 2022, most Bungie employees will adopt a flexible schedule working from home part time (outside of positions identified as either 100% onsite or fully remote in WA/CA). Currently only a select range of positions are available for full-time remote work in CA or WA (please review location for details). Prospective employees located outside of CA or WA will need to establish WA state residency within 45 days of a start date. Bungie’s work from home, flexible work schedule, and remote policy is subject to change at the company’s discretion.
- Design, deploy, and maintain multiple internal and external facing environments for both development and the live game
- Design, build, and maintain tools for deployment, automation, and maintenance of datacenter and cloud-based services
- Design, build, test, and maintain new services and tooling that supports live online games
- Maintain, improve, and extend existing online tools and services
- Partner with the Service Operations Center to reduce alert noise, and improve response process and procedures
- Diagnose and fix complex issues with a live game
- Be part of an on call rotation
- Proven professional experience as a software engineer working with a multi-tier server architecture product that supports a high volume of concurrent users
- Experience with high-scale, high-performance service development in C#, C++, Java, or another OO language
- Willingness to be part of a “we” culture where you work well with others to reach common goals—team fit and culture are very important to us
- Experience analyzing systems for performance and implementing performance improvements
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Professional experience with .Net 4.5 or higher
- Experience with both SQL and NoSQL storage technologies
- Experience with message bus and streaming technologies (Kafka, RabbitMQ, etc)
- Familiarity with Linux/Unix
- Game industry experience
- Experience of building and operating cloud-hosted services
- Familiar with agile software development (e.g. scrum, Kanban, etc.)
- Willing to manage 1 – 2 engineers