We are seeking a highly technical, creative, and team-oriented systems designer who is incredibly excited to help build a sandbox game unlike anything we have ever created at Bungie.
As a Staff Systems Designer you may have specialties but you are, at your core, a full-spectrum developer who designs and implements fundamental game systems. One day you will be building and balancing the combinatorics of sandbox atoms, the next day working on social systems like player collaboration, and the day after that working on progression systems and tech trees.
You will touch all relevant systems to implement prototype features. For example, if you're working on the player spawning system, you'll also build the UI widget that allows players to choose their spawn location on the in-game map. There is nothing you're unwilling to learn.
Working as part of a small, tight-knit incubation team you will be able to speak the language of all the other disciplines in order to foster trust and a true spirit of collaboration. You are eager to serve and make your teammates' lives easier. You are candid and expect candor from your team.
Join us and get in at the beginning of our quest to build something incredible that lasts for generations.
Note: It is possible that this role will expand and evolve as the project moves forward.
During these uncertain times and rapidly changing environment surrounding COVID-19, all positions at Bungie are subject to onboarding and working virtually/remotely. Once the studio is fully reopened, most work is expected to be performed in-person at our main headquarters in Bellevue, Washington.
- Work on a new Bungie IP, starting with the concept phase before forging ahead
- Design multiple core systems such as sandbox atoms, progression, or social systems that are highly integrated with each other
- Ensure that those systems are accessible to players and work toward the creative pillars of the project
- Collaborate daily with a cross-discipline team to understand and build what's best for the game
- Be highly flexible in thinking and able to upgrade or discard ideas when new information is discovered
- Perform advanced scripting and tool work
- Vast experience as a systems designer with several shipped products under your belt
- Experience building or evolving sandbox systems, social systems, progression systems, or any other core game system
- Strong Interest for collaboration with many other disciplines to achieve a common goal
- Intuitive understanding of sandbox and action games work and why people play them
- Ability to design exciting sandbox atoms that become recognizable parts of the IP
- Ability to contribute creatively to world building
- Dedication to a positive work environment
- Ability to creatively align with the team and then take initiative
- Excellent communication skills
- Love of playtesting, getting feedback, and giving feedback
- Technical experience writing text-based scripts to manage game systems (scripting in a Lua, Python, or similar language)
- Experience with Unity
- Experience with and love of sandbox, action, or shared world games
- Experience with systems design and/or development of procedural and systemic procedural and systemic content