Built In is a network of online communities that has quickly become the #1 recruitment solution for tech companies and startups in six major tech markets. We are our target market. We are a company of entrepreneurs building the next best recruitment platform for companies like us.
By working at Built In you'll have the chance to work directly with the latest, and fastest-growing, technology companies all around the country. We help other companies solve their biggest pain points-talent and awareness with our Employer Branding & Recruitment solutions. We currently operate six communities: Chicago, Los Angeles, Colorado, Austin, NYC, Boston, and are headquartered in Chicago.
The Staff Accountant has general accounting responsibilities for preparing journal entries, maintaining balance sheet schedules, reconciling point of sale and general ledger account activity, and bank reconciliations. Assists with monthly closings, account analysis, profitability reporting, and supports manager in carrying out the broad responsibilities of the accounting department.
Other highlights of the role include:
- Reconcile and maintain balance sheet accounts.
- General ledger operations including performing account reconciliations.
- Prepare and post journal entries.
- Assist with monthly closings and preparation of financial profitability reports.
- Assist with implementing and maintaining internal financial controls and procedures.
- Assist with preparation and coordination of quarterly compliance and annual audit requests.
- Process employee expense reports.
- Complete administrative related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting, or equivalent experience
- 2 – 4 years accounting experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively interact with all levels of employees, management, and customers to maximize performance, creativity, problem-solving and results.
- Demonstrated knowledge of accounting and finance principles and practices
- Working knowledge of financial reporting.
- Solid technical accounting skills.
- Demonstrated organizational skills with critical attention to detail.
- Demonstrated time management skills with the ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong computer skills with solid experience in Excel.
- Special projects as assigned.
- Exposure to accounting software.
- GL/Accounting Software experience.
- CPA certified or have plans to sit for the CPA in the short term.
- Quickbooks Online and Salesforce experience helpful.
- Public Accounting/Audit experience is a plus.
What We Value
- A+ player - We're looking for a dynamic, high performing account executive with a strong track record of achievement. The ideal candidate has a history of starting something and selling it, loves the thrill of the hunt, and is capable of building and growing a pipeline of business as a result of outbound prospecting and high activity metrics. You should be able to find common ground and gain personal and professional trust.
- Flexible personality – You should thrive on change while remaining highly organized, optimistic, and coachable. High energy and contagious enthusiasm help too.
- Communication - You should have the ability to speak and write clearly, concisely, and compellingly. Honesty, transparency, and thoughtfulness are a must. Your ability to present complex messages to multiple levels of an organization and survey for needs without relying on PowerPoint decks is paramount. You should also be able to correctly read people, political and business situations and develop, adjust and execute an appropriate business strategy.
- Interest in the tech industry – You must be passionate about three things: (1) Startups (2) Building innovative tech products and services; and (3) Helping others. This is what we do.
- Willingness to work around the clock, or sort of – The job involves working some evenings and weekends, and responding to customers outside of work hours. If you are passionate about the company and what you are creating, this will not appear as a job but yet a combination of life and work.
Culture fit – You will need to get along with our team (which isn’t too hard, we think!) as well as all the members vital to the community in which you are building. Humility, selflessness and strong work ethic are requirements.
Education - We value intelligence, personality and overall fit over a degree.
Benefits and Perks
- Competitive compensation, 401(k), stock options and benefits.
- We pay a really nice chunk of the cost of premiums for medical, dental, vision, and disability.
- Casual dress and flexible work hours. Come in your sweatshirt, jeans, college jersey. We don't care.
- Free food. We keep our kitchen stocked with free healthy snack foods. We also have cold brew coffee on tap and provide catered lunch (Monday - Thursday).
- Fun work environment. We operate as a flat organization where everyone is responsible to self-manage and take ownership of their work. We are humble, hardworking, honest and fun. And we regularly debate office pets.
- Open vacation & sick time. We let you take time away from work for vacation, personal or short-term sickness, as your good judgment and workload allow.