Built In is a network of online communities that has quickly become the #1 recruitment solution for tech companies and startups in six major tech markets. We are our target market. We are a company of entrepreneurs building the largest network of communities for entrepreneurs.
By working at Built In you'll have the chance to work directly with the latest, and fastest-growing, technology companies all around the country. We help other companies solve their biggest pain points-talent and awareness with our Employer Branding & Recruitment solutions. We currently operate six sites: Chicago, Los Angeles, Colorado, Austin, NYC, Boston, and are headquartered in Chicago.
As a staff writer, you will be joining our editorial team. We are looking for someone who is a startup lovin’, analytical, tech-crazy writer with a fresh writing style. If you asked us to sum up the role in three bullet points, we'd say:
- Content creation and curation - Pitch and write at least 10-15 tech-focused stories a week. Built In covers: breaking news stories (fundings, exits), profile pieces, evergreen content and data-based trend stories. A story is not a story unless it has interviews with relevant companies/entrepreneurs and supporting stats. Use as many words as it takes to tell the story, but no one will probably read it if it’s more than 800 words and no one will respect it if it’s less than 500. You will always ask the most insightful questions during phone/Skype/in-person interviews with local entrepreneurs and will be so personable that local tech companies are just itching to send them the latest scoop.
- Deadlines - Create and quickly churn out error-free articles multiple times a day, five days/week.
- Research - You will be responsible for constantly consuming tech news and sifting through tech reports each day; conducting in-depth research for both quick turnaround and long-term features; identifying content relevant to Built In’s hyper-local audiences and produce original content through analysis or synthesis of existing stories; finding and articulate underlying stories in Built In’s own data reports and in other published tech reports; and Regularly attend tech and startup events to source the untold stories. You will also know how to navigate the local tech scene and be able to quickly pick out the best people to interview for stories and will know the best ways get in touch with them.
- You should be snappy, upbeat, clear writing voice a must
- You should have experience with social media preferred
- You should have knowledge of effective headlines
- Previous experience writing for a tech publication preferred
What We Value
- Flexible personality –You should thrive on change while remaining highly organized, optimistic, and coachable. High energy and contagious enthusiasm help too.
- Communication- You should have the ability to speak and write clearly, concisely, and compellingly. Honesty, transparency, and thoughtfulness are a must. You must be comfortable approaching and interviewing high-profile individuals and you must be a clear, professional and confident writer.
- Interest in the tech industry – You must be passionate about three things: (1) Startups (2) Building innovative tech products and services; and (3) Helping others. This is what we do.
- Willingness to work around the clock, or sort of – The job involves working some evenings and weekends, and responding to customers outside of work hours. If you are passionate about the company and what you are creating, this will not appear as a job but yet a combination of life and work.
- Culture fit – You will need to get along with our team (which isn’t too hard, we think!) as well as all the members vital to the community in which you are building. Humility, selflessness and strong work ethic are requirements.
- Education - While a journalism or communications degree is preferred, we value intelligence, personality, experience and overall fit over a degree.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive compensation, 401(k) stock options and benefits. We pay a really nice chunk of the cost of premiums for medical, dental, vision, and disability.
- Casual dress and flexible work hours. Come in your sweatshirt, jeans, college jersey. We don't care.
- Free food. We keep our kitchen stocked with free healthy snack foods.
- Fun work environment. We operate as a flat organization where everyone is responsible to self-manage and take ownership of their work. We are humble, hard working, honest and fun. And we regularly debate office pets.
- Open vacation & sick time. We let you take time away from work for vacation, personal or short-term sickness, as your good judgment and work load allow.
Built In is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.