Built In is a network of online communities that has quickly become the #1 recruitment solution for tech companies and startups in six major tech markets. We are our target market. We are a company of entrepreneurs building the largest network of communities for entrepreneurs.
By working at Built In you'll have the chance to work directly with the latest, and fastest-growing, technology companies all around the country. We help other companies solve their biggest pain points-talent and awareness with our Employer Branding & Recruitment solutions. We currently operate six sites: Chicago, Los Angeles, Colorado, Austin, NYC, Boston, and are headquartered in Chicago.
As a Senior Content Editor, you will be joining our editorial team. We are looking for someone who is a startup lovin’, analytical, tech-crazy editor (and writer) to manage Built In’s content efforts and manage part of our awesome content writers in three of our six markets. You can edit and craft editorial and branded content that engages our tech-savvy digital audience, you can bring out the best in your writers and you can handle multiple projects with aplomb. You are passionate about serving and promoting the tech community and thrive in a fast-paced and collaborative startup culture.
Other responsibilities include:
- Concept, write, assign and edit engaging content, including branded content, of in-depth personality and company profiles, breaking news stories, listicles, infographics, video scripts and more.
- Elevate good storytelling into great storytelling, but with a firm pulse on prioritization and execution.
- Provide quick, thorough edits that align with our style guide, brand and tone.
- Mentor and manage a team of full-time writers and freelancers.
- Collaborate with editors, writers, designers, photographers, salespeople, SEO/product specialists and other team members on larger business objectives.
- Offer improvements to streamline the editorial process and, make us more effective and efficient.
- Maintain a keen eye on publishing schedules and editorial calendars, with a creative and collaborative approach to finding solutions.
- Help hire, train and mentor new members of the team.
- You should have experience promoting, tracking and distributing content via email, social channels, content partnerships, etc.
- You should have prior management experience
- You should have experience writing about tech or tech companies
- You should have some familiarity with Google Analytics/SEO
What We Value
- Flexible personality –You should thrive on change while remaining highly organized, optimistic, and coachable. High energy and contagious enthusiasm help too.
- Communication- You should have the ability to speak and write clearly, concisely, and compellingly. Honesty, transparency, and thoughtfulness are a must. You must be comfortable approaching and interviewing high-profile individuals and you must be a clear, professional and confident writer.
- Interest in the tech industry – You must be passionate about three things: (1) Startups (2) Building innovative tech products and services; and (3) Helping others. This is what we do.
- Willingness to spend the time to get the job done right and support our brand– You may need to work some evenings (putting the finishing touches on a story or attending events outside of work hours).
- Culture fit – You will need to get along with our team (which isn’t too hard, we think!) as well as all the members vital to the community in which you are building. Humility, selflessness and strong work ethic are requirements.
- Education - While a journalism or communications degree is preferred, we value intelligence, personality, experience and overall fit over a degree.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive compensation, 401(k) stock options and benefits. We pay a really nice chunk of the cost of premiums for medical, dental, vision, and disability.
- Casual dress and flexible work hours. Come in your sweatshirt, jeans, college jersey. We don't care.
- Free food. We keep our kitchen stocked with free healthy snack foods. We also have unlimited LaCroix, cold brew on tap and catered lunch (Monday - Thursday).
- Fun work environment. We operate as a flat organization where everyone is responsible to self-manage and take ownership of their work. We are humble, hard working, honest and fun. And we regularly debate office pets.
- Open vacation & sick time. We let you take time away from work for vacation, personal or short-term sickness, as your good judgment and workload allow.
Built In is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.