Built In is a network of online communities that has quickly become the #1 recruitment solution for tech companies and startups in six major tech markets. We are our target market. We are a company of entrepreneurs building the largest network of communities for entrepreneurs.
By working at Built In you'll have the chance to work directly with the latest, and fastest-growing, technology companies all around the country. We help other companies solve their biggest pain points-talent and awareness with our Employer Branding & Recruitment solutions. We currently operate six sites: Chicago, Los Angeles, Colorado, Austin, NYC, Boston, and are headquartered in Chicago.
As the number of clients and satellite offices grow, we need a visionary leader who values revenue stream as much as the team they manage. As VP of Sales based in our Chicago office and reporting to our CEO, you will be a bold and visionary leader who can help us own and evolve our sales organization. You will be an expert in inbound and outbound sales strategies, funnels, processes, and organization building. You will work closely with the executive team to develop, launch, and expand our product offerings in new and existing markets. As Built In grows, you will help build, lead and scale our sales organization. Other highlights of the role include:
Strategy, Process and Planning
- Growth planning - setting individual, group and total sales targets for each market segment and creating an infrastructure and process wherein the team can meet and beat those goals.
- Sales process enhancement and improvement - you will own the playbooks for all of the teams and will be responsible for aligning our various groups – BDRs and AEs, inbound and outbound – through architecture, process, and controls.
- Deal structure and strategy – how we can optimize our offering for the market and coaching the team to do so effectively.
- Knowing our quickly evolving marketplace and customers inside and out so we’re always positioned to be helpful and to win.
- Establishing strong relationships with senior leadership at key clients and channel partners
- You will work with the CEO, VP of Content & Marketing and Head of Product to build unique messaging, value props, feature set enhancements, and pricing for effective market positioning.
- You will have a genuine passion for motivating and growing individual members of the Sales team, which includes Account Executives, Account Managers, and Sales Development Reps, all the while ensuring team communication and efforts come together seamlessly.
- You will be tasked with building, monitoring and improving comp plans, sales processes, sales productivity and training.
- You will lead and monitor the growth of all three teams based on metrics--SDR, AE and AM.
- Complex enterprise deals and negotiations are second nature to you, and you’re not afraid to try new techniques if it means unleashing higher levels of performance.
- You love data and are driven by process and metrics. You love to manage your team with data and metrics.
- You are the person who sees issues before they happen-highly intuitive, analytical, organized and execution driven. We are a startup so while we need a leader, we also need someone who can roll up their sleeves when needed and build out sales decks, processes and training.
- Ideally, you have led business development, inside sales and account management in an organization around 20-40 people (including remote team members) in size and have scaled that to an organization 100+ in size before and want to do it again.
What We Value
- Flexible personality –You should thrive on change while remaining highly organized, optimistic, and coachable. High energy and contagious enthusiasm help too. You also know when to roll-up your sleeves and when to leverage help from others.
- Communication- You should have the ability to speak and write clearly, concisely, and compellingly. Honesty, transparency, and thoughtfulness are a must. A bias towards action, seeking constructive feedback from customers, peers, and your team, and measurement and iteration are part of your natural process.
- Interest in the tech industry – You must be passionate about three things: (1) Startups (2) Building innovative tech products and services; and (3) Helping others. This is what we do. This is non-negotiable.
- Willingness to work around the clock, or sort of – The job involves working some evenings and weekends, and responding to customers and employees outside of work hours. If you are passionate about the company and what you are creating, this will not appear as a job but yet a combination of life and work.
- Culture fit – You will need to get along with our team (which isn’t too hard, we think!) as well as all the members vital to the community in which you are building. Humility, selflessness and strong work ethic are requirements.
- Education - Although a bachelor's degree and at least 7-10 years of experience are preferred, we value intelligence, personality and overall fit over a degree.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive compensation, 401(k) stock options and benefits. We pay a really nice chunk of the cost of premiums for medical, dental, vision, and disability.
- Casual dress and flexible work hours. Come in your sweatshirt, jeans, college jersey. We don't care.
- Free food. We keep our kitchen stocked with free healthy snack foods. We also have unlimited LaCroix, cold brew coffee on tap and catered lunch (Monday - Thursday).
- Fun work environment. We operate as a flat organization where everyone is responsible to self-manage and take ownership of their work. We are humble, hard working, honest and fun. And we regularly debate office pets.
- Open vacation & sick time. We let you take time away from work for vacation, personal or short-term sickness, as your good judgment and work load allow.
Built In is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.