Hello, we’re Built In
We are a network of online communities for technology companies and startups. We connect talent to tech companies, cover local tech news and host events. Headquartered in Chicago, we currently operate in seven markets: Chicago, LA, NYC, Colorado, Austin, Boston and Seattle.
By working at Built In, you’ll have the chance to work directly with the latest and fastest-growing technology companies all around the country. We help other companies solve their biggest pain points — talent and awareness — with our employer branding and recruitment solutions.
We’re looking for a Staff Writer
We are looking for someone who is a startup lovin’, analytical, tech-crazy writer with a fresh voice and style. The role is based in Los Angeles but will collaborate daily with our teams in Chicago and across the country to help Built In grow and thrive. You will be joining our creative team, which is composed of writers, editors, designers, strategists and UX experts collaborating each day to develop high-quality content in support of the local tech and startup community. You’ll learn how to navigate the local tech scene and network with the right people. You’ll be a brand ambassador, helping the Built In team introduce new companies and users to our site and act as a local representative of our brand.
How you’ll contribute
Content Creation + Curation
Pitch and write at least 8-10 tech-focused stories per week. Built In writes: breaking news (startup fundings, exits, etc.), branded content (roundups that highlight various local offices, for example, or spotlights on a company’s leadership or team), and community content (profiles on startups and entrepreneurs, data-driven reports on market trends). A story is not a story unless it has interviews with relevant companies/entrepreneurs and supporting stats. Most of our stories are between 500 to 800 words, but some of our in-depth pieces can run longer.
Deadlines + Organization
Ideate and produce error-free articles multiple times each day, five days per week. Bonus points for the organized and process-driven among us.
Research + Collaboration
You will be responsible for working both independently and collaboratively to: sift through the latest tech news and reports each day; conduct in-depth research for both quick turnaround and long-form features; partner with account managers and editors to produce our suite of branded content products; identify content relevant to Built In’s hyper-local audiences and customers; produce original content through analysis or synthesis of existing stories; find and articulate underlying stories in Built In’s own data reports and in other published tech reports; and occasionally attend tech and startup events to source the untold stories.
What you need
- You’re an experienced writer, capable of producing both breaking news articles as well as paid-for, branded content designed to drive conversions or support company brands.
- Must be a digital native, capable of managing social media channels to drive organic growth and support the tech community.
- Previous experience writing for a tech publication preferred.
What we value
- Communication — You should have exceptional written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to establish credibility and trust. Honesty, transparency, and thoughtfulness are a must.
- Interest in and knowledge of the digital industry — You must be passionate about three things: (1) technology (2) building innovative digital products and services; and (3) helping companies grow. This is what we do.
- Getting the job done — You may need to work some evenings and weekends, and responding to customers outside of work hours. If you are passionate about the company and what you are creating, this will not appear as a job but yet a combination of life and work.
- Culture add — We treat each other and all members vital to the community with respect. Humility, selflessness and strong work ethic are requirements.
- Education — We value intelligence, personality, experience and overall fit over a degree.
Built In is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.