In 2010 Buildout pioneered commercial real estate (CRE) marketing automation. Today, with over 35,000 brokers and with 12 of the top 20 brokerages counted as customers, Buildout continues to be the leader in CRE marketing automation in addition to recently launching valuable, integrated back-office workflow and customer relationship management (CRM) solutions. Developed in close collaboration with our customers, Buildout allows brokerages to bring their expertise to every stage of their deals all from within one platform. Our vision is that CRE dealmaking will be tech-powered, but human-led. We have a “some-nonsense” culture that embodies nerds and humor. Learn more about who we are, what we do, and why we’re changing the face of CRE tech on our website: https://buildout.com/.
We’re looking for a UX Team Lead who has a proven track record of shipping thoughtful workflows and experiences curated through meticulous user research (qualitative, quantitative, ethnographic) and is able to build trust amongst the team, lead with a vision, drive quality, and foster a collaborative environment. If you love what you do and want to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment that will challenge you to do your best, then we’d love to hear from you! Your contributions will have a direct impact on the growth of the department and the company and you can bring your passion for great products to the table everyday.
What You’ll Do at Buildout
- You will design thoughtful user experiences that make the complexities of broker and brokerage operations easy to navigate and understand
- You’ll help us establish UX related practices and processes
- You’ll work directly with Product Managers to help define product vision and strategy and conduct self-managed UX research to discover or validate the impact of a feature you are working on for our customers
- You’ll be responsible for being the voice-of-the-customer within your product focus, and clearly communicating your design decisions to stakeholder to help build user empathy throughout the organization
- You’ll craft useful and usable experiences through diagrams, sketches, wireframes, prototypes, and visual designs that allow stakeholders to see the user journey through new product features & solutions, then handoff to our software developers
- You’ll help us build/maintain relevant personas for your product(s) and leverage research to review them periodically
- You’ll participate in weekly UX meetings to share ideas and exchange feedback
- You’ll mentor and manage a small team of UX and Product Designers
- You’ll participate in hiring for new team members as needed, training and upskilling, performance conversations, and directing and prioritizing work
What You’ll Bring to Buildout
- 5+ years of professional experience in UX/UI as a user experience designer, product designer, or researcher with a strong portfolio of design projects including detailed descriptions of your design process
- Experience with a SaaS product portfolio
- Experience managing or mentoring team members, or a desire to step into a management path
- You’ll have a strong knowledge of web technologies, platforms, and frameworks (and their constraints) and are passionate about creating complex systems and keeping them well maintained
- You’ll be comfortable leading and assisting in user research activities and workshops
- You should have experience with Sketch, InVision, Figma, and be knowledgeable of UX/UI standards, protocols, and methodologies for both responsive and mobile app design to take incomplete requirements and produce consistent, usable wireframes and mockups
- You are comfortable embracing uncertainty and challenging the team with new ideas
- Experience working in a startup is ideal but not required
- Commercial Real Estate experience is ideal but not required
When applying, please share a link to a portfolio that showcases your recent work!
We know there are great candidates who won’t check all of these boxes, and we also know you might bring important skills that we haven’t considered. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
We are based in Chicago, but this is a remote-friendly role open across most of the US.
The salary range for this position starts at 110,000.
Perks & Benefits
We built a benefits program to match the quality of our team. This program includes:
- Impactful insurance and benefit options, including covering 100% of employee health insurance premiums, FSA plan, STD, LTD, life insurance, and telemedicine
- Policies that support a healthy work/life balance, including generous PTO, paid parental leave, and give back days
- 401(k) with 4% company match and immediate vesting
- An office in Chicago those who prefer an office setting, plus a monthly remote work reimbursement
- Challenging problems to solve with a committed and supportive team who are invested in your growth and development
- A wonderfully quirky culture where you’re encouraged to bring your whole self to work
Buildout is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information and we will consider your request.
Below, you will be asked to complete identity information for the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). It is required by law that we ask these questions using the format provided by the EEOC. However, we want you to know that at Buildout, we understand that gender is not binary and welcome people of all identities.