In 2010 Buildout pioneered commercial real estate (CRE) marketing automation. Today, with over 35,000 brokers and with 12 of the top 20 brokerages counted as customers, Buildout continues to be the leader in CRE marketing automation in addition to recently launching valuable, integrated back-office workflow and customer relationship management (CRM) solutions. Developed in close collaboration with our customers, Buildout allows brokerages to bring their expertise to every stage of their deals all from within one platform. Our vision is that CRE dealmaking will be tech-powered, but human-led. Ask us about our company meetings for an example, and learn more about who we are, what we do, and why we’re changing the face of CRE tech on our website: https://buildout.com/.
Headquartered in Chicago with employees distributed across the country, we’re a fast-growing tech company that achieves our vision through our commitment to our Team, our Customers, our Product, and the continuous pursuit of Quality. It is our intention to create exceptional, easy to use, high quality products that lead the Commercial Real Estate industry into the future and delight our customers.
To achieve these intentions, our software teams work closely with their product team members to build and improve our industry-leading commercial real estate CRM products. We are looking for someone to:
- Create the next generation of CRM software within Commercial Real Estate
- Build and maintain elegant and easy-to-use integrations between our marketing platform and existing CRM options (Rethink, Apto, Lite CRM)
How You’ll Contribute at Buildout
- Consistently and quickly build and launch excellent software by:
- Understanding our customers and their needs
- Engineering elegant and practical solutions
- Iterating on and polishing your work to meet the standards for Buildout Quality
- Help your team lead break large projects and requirements into smaller components and estimate that work so everyone can easily work on them. Long, costly and wasteful IPMs are not encouraged here.
- Work with your team’s Product Manager and UX Designer to ensure everyone is on the same page and the user experience is consistently great
- Coach and mentor your more junior team mates by performing thorough and timely code reviews, pairing on difficult issues to share knowledge and drive accountability, and delivery excellent software on a timely basis to lead by example
- Set and achieve Buildout sponsored personal and professional goals with your team lead and the VP of Engineering
What You’ll Bring to Buildout
- 2+ years of product software development experience within a SaaS company, or the ability to demonstrate you’ve learned enough in less time to still be a great engineer and valuable team member
- Solid cross-team and cross-functional communication skills
- A love of software engineering, design, documentation, testing, and automation
- Pluses, but not required:
- Commercial Real Estate experience
- Cool personal projects you’d like to share and chat about
What are the technical skills that you’ll need to succeed?
We are looking for a full-stack engineer. However, “full-stack” can mean a lot these days, so here is what we’re looking for specifically:
Ruby/Rails: We’re a Ruby shop here at Buildout, so a deep knowledge of Rails is going to help you get up and running quickly. Our app uses all of the standard Rails goodness you know and love, as well as a lot of additional tools for design, business logic, and background jobs. If you like to learn new skills, you’re going to fit in really well.
Testing: Is testing a natural part of your process? If so, you’ll be appreciated here. We are actively building out our test suite and providing ample team resources to make sure that everything we create is tested and rock-solid. Our test suite uses RSpec for most of our Rails work.
Other Web Tech: We use git for source control, Slim for our view templates, lightly customized Bootstrap for our CSS, MySQL and AWS. If you’re really passionate about some new technology, we’d love to hear about it.
We know there are great candidates who won’t check all of these boxes, and we also know you might bring important skills that we haven’t considered. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
We are based in Chicago, but this is a remote-friendly role open across most of the US.
The salary range for this position is $96,000 to $131,000.
Perks & Benefits
We built a benefits program to match the quality of our team. This program includes:
- Impactful insurance and benefit options, including covering 100% of employee health insurance premiums, FSA plan, STD, LTD, life insurance, and telemedicine
- Policies that support a healthy work/life balance, including generous PTO, paid parental leave, and give back days
- 401(k) with 4% company match and immediate vesting
- An office in Chicago for those who prefer an office setting, plus a monthly remote work reimbursement
- Challenging problems to solve with a committed and supportive team who are invested in your growth and development
- A wonderfully quirky culture where you’re encouraged to bring your whole self to work
Buildout is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information and we will consider your request.
Below, you will be asked to complete identity information for the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). It is required by law that we ask these questions using the format provided by the EEOC. However, we want you to know that at Buildout, we understand that gender is not binary and welcome people of all identities.