Everything we do at Buildout starts and ends with our people, and our customers and our product is an important part of our community of people.
In our company, we value Team, Customers, Product, Improvement, and Profit. When we say we value the Product, it means that we commit to creating an exceptional product and experience for our customers. Our software team works closely with our Product team to build and improve our industry-leading commercial real estate platform. You must be willing to painstakingly perfect every detail while maintaining the full picture and guiding everybody you work with toward delivering on the vision. Our efforts speak for themselves - we are one of the few SaaS companies that have negative net churn and we’ve been listed in Inc. 5000 four years in a row.
We’re building a diverse and collaborative team that gets results sustainably. Your contributions will have a direct impact on the growth of the department and the company and you can bring your passion for great products to the table every day.
What You’ll Bring to Buildout
- 3+ years of software development experience or the ability to demonstrate you’ve learned enough in less time to still be a great engineer and valuable team member
- Solid cross-team and cross-functional communication skills
- A love of software engineering, design, documentation, testing, and automation
- Pluses, but not required:
- Commercial Real Estate experience
- Cool personal projects you’d like to share and chat about
What are the technical skills that you’ll need to succeed?
We are looking for a full-stack engineer. However, “full-stack” can mean a lot these days, so here is what we’re looking for specifically:
Ruby/Rails: We’re a Ruby shop here at Buildout, so a deep knowledge of Rails is going to help you get up and running quickly. Our app uses all of the standard Rails goodness you know and love, as well as a lot of additional tools for design, business logic, and background jobs. If you like to learn new skills, you’re going to fit in really well.
Testing: Is testing a natural part of your process? If so, you’ll be appreciated here. We are actively building out our test suite and providing ample team resources to make sure that everything we create is tested and rock-solid. Our test suite uses RSpec for most of our Rails work.
Other Web Tech: We use git for source control, Slim for our view templates, lightly customized Bootstrap for our CSS, MySQL and AWS. If you’re really passionate about some new technology, we’d love to hear about it.
What You’ll Do at Buildout
- Build and launch excellent software by:
- Understanding our customers and their needs
- Engineering elegant and practical solutions
- Iterating on and polishing your work to meet the standards for Buildout Quality
- Help your team lead break large projects into smaller components and estimate that work
- Work with your team’s Product Manager and UX Designer to ensure everyone is on the same page and the user experience is consistently great
- Perform code reviews for your fellow team members
- Take part in our business hours on-call rotation
- Set and achieve Buildout sponsored personal and professional goals
Of course what is outlined above is your ideal day-to-day, but things may shift based on business needs and other projects and tasks could be added at the discretion of your manager.
Due to the unprecedented situation of COVID-19, Buildout has decided to protect our current and future employees by managing our business remotely. This is inclusive of interviewing, onboarding and each role day-to-day. Please consider that our roles may not be remote long-term and may return to an office setting once we're safe to do so following the guidance of local health authorities and the CDC.
What We Value
- Team: We achieve more as a team than apart, so we wholeheartedly commit to listening, empathizing, and giving the benefit of the doubt to our team members. We commit to inclusion by accepting people as individuals and valuing who they are. Teamwork Makes the Dream Work™.
- Customers: We listen to and support our customers across our teams. We believe that customer service is in every job description and commit to delighting our customers.
- Product: We live by Q=PUE (n. pooh): Quality = Polish x Understanding x Engineering. We seek to empathetically Understand the problem and always ask “why.” We iteratively Engineer great solutions. And we patiently Polish the result to get to Buildout Quality.
- Improvement: We focus on making a significant impact by taking steps to improve ourselves, our company, and the lives of our customers.
- Profit: We effectively create value as a company, which brings in profit that practically powers our Team, Customers, Product, and Improvement.
More About Buildout
Buildout is the software used by top commercial real estate companies to power their marketing and brokerage operations. Now offering database, pipeline reporting, and back-office tools—Buildout enhances your entire deal cycle in a single platform.
Learn more about who we are, what we do, and why we’re changing the face of CRE tech on our website: https://buildout.com/.
We also built a benefits program to match the quality of our team. This program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families, including fully paying your monthly premiums.
- Solid programs in some of the staples: transportation, disability and life insurance
- Beautiful and convenient offices in Downtown Chicago
- Great ways to take a break from the work day. Why choose between ping pong, pool, air hockey, puzzles, and even a music room if you can have them all?
- Snacks and drinks, including all the LaCroix you can drink.
- Most importantly, a wonderfully quirky culture with a committed and supportive management team invested in your growth and development
Buildout is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Below, you will be asked to complete identity information for the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). It is required by law that we ask these questions using the format provided by the EEOC. However, we want you to know that at Buildout, we understand that gender is not binary and welcome people of all identities. For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here to view our Equal Opportunity Employment Poster.