Everything we do at Buildout starts and ends with our people, and our customers and our product is an important part of our community of people.
In our company we value Team, Customers, Product, Improvement, and Profit. When we say we value the Product, it means that we commit to creating an exceptional product and experience for our customers. Our UX/UI Designers will work closely with our product managers and developers to take ideas from design to launch. You must be willing to painstakingly perfect every detail while maintaining the full picture and guiding everybody you work with toward delivering on the vision. Our efforts speak for themselves - we are one of the few SaaS companies that has negative net churn and we’ve been listed in Inc. 5000 three years in a row.
As a UX/UI Designer, you’ll join a talented, cross-functional team and deliver thoughtfully crafted products, interfaces and experiences that solve real problems for our customers. You'll use your skills and capabilities in UX, visual design, and prototyping to build empathy with our users and create & validate solutions that make an impact on their marketing and brokerage operations. You'll also contribute regularly during our meetings to push our practice forward, improving our processes from learnings and advocating for them across the organization.
We’re looking for a UX/UI Designer who has a proven track record of shipping thoughtful, well-executed web experiences and is able to build trust amongst the team, lead with a vision, create and drive focus, quality, balance and foster a collaborative environment.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about the user, visual design, and interaction design. If you love what you do, and want to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment that will challenge you to do your best, then check us out! This is an exciting role as your contributions will have a direct impact on the growth of the department and the company and you can bring your passion for great products to the table everyday.
What You’ll Bring to Buildout
- This is a highly valued role so you should have at least 3+ years of professional experience in UX/UI or as a a user experience designer, product designer, interaction designer with a strong portfolio of design projects including detailed descriptions of your design process
- You’ll have working knowledge of web technologies, platforms, and frameworks (and their constraints) and are passionate about creating complex systems and keeping them well maintained
- You’ll be comfortable leading and assisting in user research activities and workshops
- You should have experience with Sketch, InVision, and JIRA and be knowledgeable of UX/UI standards, protocols, and methodologies for both responsive and mobile app design to take incomplete requirements and produce consistent, usable wireframes and mockups
- Experience working in a startup is ideal but not required
What You’ll Do at Buildout
- You will work closely with our Product Managers and key stakeholders to make the complexities of marketing and brokerage operations easy to navigate and understand for
- You’ll work directly with Product Managers to help define product vision and strategy and conduct self-managed UX research to discover or validate the impact of a feature you are working on for our customers
- You’ll be responsible for being the voice-of-the-customer within your product focus, and clearly communicating your design decisions to stakeholder to help build user empathy throughout the organization
- You’ll craft useful and usable experiences through diagrams, sketches, wireframes, prototypes, visual designs that allow stakeholders to see the user journey through new product features & solutions then handoff to our software developers
Note: When applying, please share a link to a portfolio that showcases your recent work.
Of course what is outlined above is your ideal day-to-day, but things may shift based on business needs and other projects and tasks could be added at the discretion of your manager.
Due to the unprecedented situation of COVID-19, Buildout has decided to protect our current and future employees by managing our business remotely. This is inclusive of interviewing, onboarding and each role day-to-day. Please consider that our roles may not be remote long-term and may return to an office setting once we're safe to do so following the guidance of local health authorities and the CDC.
What We Value
- Team: We achieve more as a team than apart, so we wholeheartedly commit to listening, empathizing, and giving the benefit of the doubt to our team members. We commit to inclusion by accepting people as individuals and valuing who they are. Teamwork Makes the Dream Work™.
- Customers: We listen to and support our customers across our teams. We believe that customer service is in every job description and commit to delighting our customers.
- Product: We live by Q=PUE (n. pooh): Quality = Polish x Understanding x Engineering. We seek to empathetically Understand the problem and always ask “why.” We iteratively Engineer great solutions. And we patiently Polish the result to get to Buildout Quality.
- Improvement: We focus on making a significant impact by taking steps to improve ourselves, our company, and the lives of our customers.
- Profit: We effectively create value as a company, which brings in profit that practically powers our Team, Customers, Product, and Improvement.
More About Buildout
Buildout is the software used by top commercial real estate companies to power their marketing and brokerage operations. Learn more about who we are, what we do, and why we’re changing the face of CRE tech on our website: https://buildout.com/.
We also built a benefits program to match the quality of our team. This program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families, including fully paying your monthly premiums.
- Solid programs in some of the staples: transportation, disability and life insurance
- Beautiful and convenient offices in Downtown Chicago
- Most importantly, a wonderfully quirky culture with a committed and supportive management team invested in your growth and development
Buildout is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Below, you will be asked to complete identity information for the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). It is required by law that we ask these questions using the format provided by the EEOC. However, we want you to know that at Buildout, we understand that gender is not binary and welcome people of all identities. For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here to view our Equal Opportunity Employment Poster.