The Senior QA Analyst role involves ensuring all QA tasks (as assigned by the QA Manager, Lead QA Analyst, Production, or other Development staff) are disseminated down to the QA Analysts and Game Testers. The results of these tasks are tracked and reported back to the relevant parties and any risks/concerns/high level issues are raised with the Lead QA Analyst and QA Manager.
A Senior QA Analyst also needs to ensure that the area of the game that they are responsible for is comprehensively tested, and issues are accurately reported into the bug reporting database. They should also, closely monitor the database and ensure that all bugs are being reported as per the current guidelines, all tickets that require QA attention are actioned upon and results fed back to the relevant parties. Compile and update comprehensive test plans, ensure that they are accurately run on a regular basis and that the results are disseminated to the relevant parties.
Mentoring of Junior staff is also a big part of the Senior QA Analysts role. They should continuously be monitoring and giving guidance to more junior staff, to furnish them with the knowledge and tools to do their job effectively. They will also be tasked with giving feedback and/or evaluating the performance of QA Analysts/Game Testers. They may, from time to time, be tasked with deputising for members of staff during busy periods, or during periods of absence.
An aptitude for technical disciplines, including exposure to bug reporting databases, experience of handling builds as well as using QA and/development tools and excellent knowledge of MS office packages etc.
This will be a varied role that will involve being focussed, and creative in your approach to QA, how it functions and how we can run the department effectively and efficiently.
The successful candidate will have a positive outlook, a professional manner and possess the ability to focus on tasks whilst being agile and able to prioritise when multiple requests are made of them.
A genuine passion for the video games industry is a must, as well as experience of playing a diverse range of game genres on a variety of formats.
- Effectively monitor the performance of QA Analysts and Game Testers assigned to their area of the game.
- Mentor more junior members of the QA department.
- Monitor tickets being entered into the bug reporting database, to ensure current policies are adhered to, all relevant fields are populated correctly and all necessary attachments are included.
- Monitor tickets being entered into the bug reporting database, to ensure that spelling mistakes and grammatical errors are kept to a minimum.
- Continually evaluate processes and procedures and suggest improvements to QA Manager and/or Lead QA Analysts.
- Accurately enter bugs into the database, ensuring all relevant information is correct and all required attachments are included.
- Ensure all areas of the game, features and assets, are tested, including those areas off the critical path.
- Compile documentation to verify the state of new content/features as and when requested.
- Ensure relevant documents are created and maintained to allow staff to reference and have the most up to date and accurate information.
- Ensure all bug tickets and tasks in the database are acted upon/addressed accurately and in a timely manner.
- Create and distribute test plans to ensure that your area of the game and all related features and assets are tested effectively.
- Ensure the game is evaluated for both quality and functionality and ensure all information is gathered, compiled, and fed through to the relevant parties.
- Comprehensively test your assigned area of the game for both success as well as fail conditions, to test and stress all outcomes.
- Accurately fulfil all task assigned by senior members of the QA team and the wider development team as required.
- Work closely with other members of the QA team to ensure multiplayer modes and features are comprehensively tested.
- Perform comprehensive sweeps of game areas and feedback results as and when requested.
- Gather information on and escalate any risks/serious issues to the relevant parties as soon as they are identified.
- Complete any ad hoc requests for tasks from senior members of the QA team as well as the wider development staff as and when required.
- Proven Quality Assurance experience (ideally from within the games industry).
- Experience of supervising junior QA staff.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office applications.
- Ability to give constructive feedback to more junior members of staff to allow them to continually improve their performance.
- Understanding of the importance of morale within a QA department and how to build and maintain it.
- Technically proficient and able to learn new systems quickly.
- Strong extrapolation skills and understanding of cause and effect.
- Self-motivated, positive attitude and driven to creatively solve problems.
- Able to work in a fast paced and dynamic environment whilst always keeping focus.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, and comfortable working with multiple disciplines.
- Respectful and professional manner to all members of staff, including those in more junior roles.
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Able to work on own initiative when needed.
- Proactive mindset.