About the Role
The nursing supervisor is responsible for overall implementation of nursing services goals and objectives, and coordination of resident care management. This person also carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Buckner policies and applicable laws. Supervises staff and provides direct nursing care. Provides training and monitors staff compliance with training requirements. Responsible for infection control program and compliance.
What You’ll Do
- Performs timely and accurate resident assessments utilizing assessment tools, reports assessment to supervisor and charts in resident records. Monitor and ensure compliance with resident health care plan. Administers and supervises care prescribed by physicians. Participate in physician visits to residents, record visits in charts.
- Provides oversight of medication management to ensure MAR’s are correct and that the residents receive medications timely and accurately. Administers prescribed medication to residents. Works with consultant pharmacist as needed to ensure community maintains compliance. Manages pharmacy re-orders in ways that align with community policies and regulatory requirements..
- Makes daily rounds to observe delivery of services, resident status, meal service, meal service process and quality of care provided to residents. Engage in conversation with staff to share successes and opportunities for improvement, as needed. Demonstrate expected behaviors so staff have opportunities for visual and verbal learning.
- Maintain current proficient working knowledge of and comply with all local, state and federal licensing requirements; meet with managers regularly to review resident care. Maintain resident medical records and ensure charting is performed in a timely manner and in accordance with state regulations.
- Assist leadership in strategic planning and direction for nursing services operations; evaluate results, identify opportunities, initiate improvements, and measure performance against objectives.
- Administers intramuscular and subcutaneous injections; performs in-house testing procedures; takes and records vital signs.
- Assist in maintaining current health care plans according to a schedule rotation and documenting acute episodes or significant changes in resident status.
- Supervise nursing staff and aides in the performance of their duties by monitoring their work, providing feedback and redirection as needed; assign aides to residents, specifying break times and special duties to be completed. Participate in the performance review and evaluation process for nursing and aide staff. Set staff goals daily and at other frequency as needed. Participate in investigations following allegations of inappropriate behavior by staff. Learn about skills gaps through observation of work and conversations about areas for improvement. Assist associates to develop action plans to efficiently close skill gaps and to develop new skills. Provide constructive feedback to associates during conversations that support listening, learning, and successful outcomes. Assist associates to learn to exhibit 5STARS behaviors toward others.
- Provide support and provide care in Assisted Living and Memory Care as needed in addition to role in healthcare services including processing new admissions, blood sugar and insulin administration, and administration of narcotics.
- Provides timely and accurate communication to families to promote healthy relationships and to keep them informed about the resident’s condition and community events.
- Assist to create and plan work schedules for staff, assigning work duties while on shift and directing the work on a daily basis.
- Provide on-call backup to the community when not on duty. Responds to calls for assistance when not in the community. Maintains confidentiality of all HIPAA protected personal health information concerning residents and staff.
- Completes and ensures reports about incidents are promptly and accurately that state the matters related to the incident.
- Meet with director and participate in staff meetings to ensure staff perform at optimum level and incompliance with Buckner and regulatory requirements.
- Responsible for providing and/or ensuring staff are trained in CPR/BLS and certifications are current.
- Provide in-service training for staff for compliance with regulatory requirements. Monitor BOLD for staff compliance with training requirements. Immediately address non-compliance with appropriate leadership and staff.
- Responsible for infection control training and compliance management for all Buckner senior living locations.
- Receive and/or place all calls to physicians and follow through with physician’s orders timely and accurately. Make appropriate staff aware of physician orders. Chart physician orders timely and accurately.
- Responsible for supervision, direct management, and administration of accurate preparation and administration of prescribed medications.
- Responsible for pharmacy orders for newly prescribed medications. Administer initial dose of all new medications and chart it timely and accurately.
- Serve as liaison between community and physicians regarding resident condition, change in condition, medication management and other pertinent information regarding resident health status.
- Order and maintain nursing supplies, monitor condition of medication room, cart and refrigerator for compliance with Buckner standards.
- Responsible for detailed evaluation of assigned residents, detailed charting of resident condition, medication administered, physician orders, and other clinical matters. Direct charting in resident records in accordance with community standards and policies, and regulatory requirements. .
- Recognizes significant changes in the condition of the resident and takes necessary action as directed by Director of Nursing.
- Professionally communicate with resident families and respond to questions or concerns.
- Supervise serving of prescribed diets and fluid intake; report persistent unresolved problems to the physician and/or the Director of Nursing or appropriate discipline.
- Supervise the preparation of, or prepare, incident reports.
- Accurately and timely complete focused assessments and appropriate discharge documentation.
- Detect and correct situations that have a probability of causing accidents or injuries to residents or others immediately.
- Intervene in resident disputes or disruptive behavior, if necessary, to maintain proper facility harmony and resident safety.
- Accurately monitor nursing equipment, repairs, and/or replacement.
- Adhere to the Licensed Vocational Nurse practice standards as established by the Texas Board of Nurse Examiners.
- Maintain compliance with all Buckner policies, procedures, and requirements. Maintain compliance with all state and federal laws and regulatory requirements.
- Conduct staff meetings regularly with nursing services staff to convey information important to their job success, learning about activities occurring around the Buckner system and specific to the Ventana community. Attend and participate in staff meetings, training, and education seminars as required.
- Develop emerging leadership through professional growth and development.
- Cultivate and monitor relationships with outside consultants, agencies and organizations to develop relationships to enhance the delivery of services to residents and families.
- Work successfully as a part of a team and responsible for developing then maintaining health working relationships with co-workers.
- Works assigned schedules.
- Accurately and timely complete documentation.
- Perform general office tasks as required.
- Perform special assignments, projects, and other duties as required.
At Buckner one of the ways we show value to our team members is by offering the following perks:
- Medical and Dental benefits for employees and their eligible dependents;
- Life insurance;
- Short Term and Long Term Disability benefits;
- Paid Time Off and Holidays;
- Retirement Savings Plan; and
- The 5Star Fun Benefit: encourages employees to spread good cheer to their co-workers and others, creating a happy, healthy environment for all!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Buckner is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Buckner.