About the Role
As a Landscaper at Camp Buckner, you make the work possible by ensuring the growth and vibrancy of our plants, flowers, lawn, and garden are well maintained for our guests and program participants. In this role, you will perform a range of general lawn maintenance duties including; applying fertilizers, maintaining the landscape design, removing weeds and dead material, nourish plants by mulching, aerating, and watering. Assist with pool operations and other maintenance task as needed. Through your work, our guests and program participants will experience well maintained grounds and a safe space during their retreats and events, while making a positive impact on our team.
What You’ll Do
As a member of our team you will have an impact on our guest through accomplishment of the following responsibilities:
- Create and maintain Camp Buckner grounds, flowerbeds, trees, and landscaping.
- Mow, edge, rake, and trim shrubbery as needed, coordinate your work to ensure arriving guests have a great first impression of Camp.
- Ensure the grounds, sidewalks, walkways, trails, and gutters are clean and clear of debris.
- Trim trees during the appropriate time of the year including splitting wood, clearing, burn or haul brush and wood.
- Ability to operate ladders and hand tools safely and effectively.
- Ability to operate and maintain gas powered lawn care equipment such as lawn mowers, weed-eaters, chain saws, edging equipment and blowers.
- Perform routine pool maintenance, repair, cleaning, vacuum, and control water chemical balance. Have or be willing to obtain a Certified Pool Operators certificate.
- Assist with leak detection and repair of sprinkler systems and replacement of broken sprinkler heads.
- Apply fertilizers, pesticides and weed killers as directed.
- Receive and follow maintenance schedule/instructions from supervisor in accordance with established maintenance policies and procedures; perform unscheduled maintenance tasks as directed.
- Ability to safely maintain and operate heavy equipment such as the tractor, shredder, box blade and auger. Training is provided.
- Assist in moving equipment and furniture as needed.
- Ensure that work areas are cleaned and organized. Make sure that equipment, tools, and supplies are properly stored before leaving the work area. Keep work areas free of hazardous conditions (i.e. grease, oil spills, excess supplies, equipment, etc.) and ensure that all safety rules/regulations are followed at all times.
- Replace and repair broken indoor/outdoor light fixtures, light bulbs, and ceiling fans.
- Ability to assist in routine maintenance and repair on the facility, grounds, and equipment in a safe and serviceable manner including plumbing, plastering, electrical, carpentry, painting, mechanical, etc. as directed.
- Report all incidents/accidents to the supervisor or other appropriate personnel immediately.
- Wear protective clothing/devices as directed.
- Immediately turn in all found items to your supervisor.
- Maintain compliance with all Buckner policies, procedures, and requirements. Maintain compliance with all federal and state laws.
- Work successfully as part of a team and be responsible for developing and maintaining a strong working relationship with co-workers.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings and training as required.
- Work nights and weekends as directed to meet business needs.
- Perform other assignments and duties as requested.
- Monitor and maintain a safe campus environment for staff and guests
- Report issues of department equipment when it is not in good working condition in accordance with manufacturer’s operational standards. Detect and correct, or report, hazardous conditions that have a possibility of causing accidents or injuries to clients, employees, or visitors.
- Work successfully as part of a team and responsible for developing then maintaining strong working relationships with co-workers
What You’ll Bring to the Team
To be successful in this role and a great addition to our team we need you to come with the following:
- High School Diploma (or G.E.D.)
- Minimum 2 years prior related experience and/or training in landscaping required.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English, and communicate effectively.
- Working knowledge of basic maintenance for facility upkeep;
- Ability to work outside in various weather conditions;
- Ability to recognize differences in sound generated by equipment or machinery which may indicate operating problems or safety concerns;
- Ability to adjust and operate electric-powered equipment; ability to work with hand tools;
- Ability to perform tasks with due consideration for clients and others in the area and ability to cooperate and work with other employees with a positive attitude and demeanor;
- Age 21 with a valid driver's license and a clean driving record so you can be insured on the Buckner insurance and so as to drive Buckner vehicles as needed;
- A professional commitment to Christian principles so as to perform tasks and responsibilities in alignment with Buckner’s mission, vision, and values;
- Self-motivation to guide daily work with only moderate supervision;
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to use tact and courtesy in interactions with coworkers, youth and their families;
In addition to the amazing qualifications and experiences listed above, if we had our say, we would also look for:
- Previous experience providing landscape and lawn care services in a Camp or similar environment with various types of grass, shrubs, plants and trees.
At Buckner one of the ways we show value to our team members is by offering the following perks:
- Medical and Dental benefits for employees and their eligible dependents;
- Life insurance;
- Short Term and Long Term Disability benefits;
- Paid Time Off and Holidays;
- Paid Parental Leave;
- Retirement Savings Plan; and
- The 5Star Fun Benefit: encourages employees to spread good cheer to their co-workers and others, creating a happy, healthy environment for all!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Buckner is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Buckner.