About the Role
As a Child Development Center Assistant Director work with the Director in developing, implementing, and directing all aspects of the child development program. Provide leadership and guidance to day care staff and serve as a mentor and role model. Serve as the person in charge per licensing requirements when the director is absent from the center. Responsible for inspecting, documenting, scheduling and completing all tasks required to maintain facility compliance regarding minimum standards, health, and safety. Perform administrative tasks to include external/internal reporting, billing, and customer communication functions at the director’s assignment.
What You’ll Do
As a member of our team you will have an impact on our clients through accomplishment of the following responsibilities:
- Provide, supervise, and ensure a safe and clean environment that is growth producing and stimulates self confidence and trust and respect for children, parents, and staff.
- Remain attentive to the physical, social, emotional, spiritual, intellectual, and cognitive development of the children. Ensure that the environment is age appropriate, culturally sensitive and allows for children's self-expression.
- Oversee maintenance of resource room, storage areas, front desk and supply inventories for each. Ensure that adequate supplies, equipment, and materials are available to childcare staff by coordinating supply requests between staff and director arrange for the prompt repair or removal of damaged equipment.
- Monitor and coordinate curriculum utilization in conjunction with the other program staff. Provide direct support to teachers and aides including but not limited to: lesson plans, and developmentally and spiritually appropriate activities. Continuously support the values of the child development program.
- Serve as the Administrator on duty in the Director's absence. And actively pursue director certification in accordance with succession planning for the center if not already complete.
- Assist with the administrative duties, including, but not limited to: Extended Reach reporting/compliance, ProCare (or other management software), CCS attendance, USDA records, EHS records and documentation requirements, daily report sheets, weekly reports, CQI, quarterly reports, incident reports, deposits, and petty cash.
- Assist with the ongoing monitoring of the center to ensure that the facility maintains compliance with all Federal, State, and local minimum standards, guidelines, and regulations as well as fire, health, and safety codes.
- Complete and document building and grounds checks and documentation as required.
- Document, schedule and complete any follow through required to maintain facility health and safety inspections and compliance records. Includes but is not limited to: the grease trap, fire marshal, gas pipe test, fire extinguishers, and fire alarm system.
- Daily report to supervisor any repair or maintenance needs.
- Assist with needed repairs to building, furnishings, toys, and equipment. Ensure children are protected from unsafe objects and areas while in care.
- Assist Director in maintaining staff records for training hours, background checks and certifications.
- Ensure staff/child ratios are maintained at all times. Provide direct supervision in order to maintain compliance with staff/child ratio as needed.
- A professional commitment to Christian principles so as to perform tasks and responsibilities in alignment with Buckner’s mission, vision, and values;
- Report to Director any special needs or problems of individual children or staff
- Maintain awareness of the needs of the children with openness and flexibility for creative program changes when necessary.
- Identify program needs and develop and implement program changes.
- Immediately report any suspected child abuse/neglect to the Supervisor, appropriate Law Enforcement agency and TDFPS.
- Work with a culturally diverse population of youth, adults, and families.
- Answer phone calls and take messages as needed. Communicate with director and staff promptly and effectively to ensure information flow. Promptly respond to requests for information.
- Maintain compliance with all Buckner policies, procedures, and requirements. Maintain compliance with Buckner performance standards, and federal, state, county and city policies and procedures as stated now or as amended. Maintain compliance with all regulatory requirements and laws as stated now or as amended.
- Maintain a positive attitude and approach when working with the children.
- Work successfully as part of a team by developing and maintaining healthy, professional relationships with coworkers.
- Handle discipline promptly and in accordance with stated policy on discipline and in coordination/consultation with supervisor.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings and training as required, including, but not limited to, CPR, First Aid, HHS training, staff meetings and supervisory conferences to develop and enhance skills.
- Annually obtain a clean tuberculin skin test or chest X-ray
- Perform general office tasks as required.
- Perform special assignments, projects, and other duties as required.
What You'll Bring to the Team
To be successful in this role and a great addition to our team we need you to come with the following:
- Equivalent to knowledge normally acquired through four years of high school. Ability to understand and carry out detailed oral and written instructions. High school diploma or G.E.D. required. Child Development Associate (CDA) or similar certification required. Associate Degree or higher in Early Child Development or related field preferred
- Requires ability to relate positively, influentially, and sensitively to a broad spectrum of persons in a variety of multi-tiered relationships and settings to include but not limited to cultural
- Requires proficient ability to speak, read and write
- Requires ability to handle and/or successfully interact with a variety of adults and children with a range of personalities and Ability to explain and enforce center policies and protocols while maintaining positive customer relations.
- Requires ability to understand and carry out detailed oral and written
- Requires ability to hear and receive verbal instructions; ability to remember verbal and written tasks/assignments from a period of a few hours to several days
- Requires ability to handle multiple tasks, work under pressure and remain flexible as priorities change; ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing and speak in front of a group of people; must possess outstanding interpersonal skills
- Requires ability to speak clearly and make self clearly understood in face-to-face interactions; articulate with accuracy when speaking on the phone
- Requires ability to observe and make accurate assessments of situations
- Requires ability to work with frequent interruptions; ability to respond appropriately in a crisis situation
- Requires ability to work under moderate supervision, exercising patience, initiative, and good judgment
- Requires the ability to grasp, push, pull, carry, and otherwise manipulate objects; ability to perform tasks requiring action of muscles or groups or muscles and foot and/or eye-hand coordination
- Requires proficient skills for attention to detail and ability to maintain a routine
- Requires excellent organizational skills.
- Requires ability to establish and maintain effective professional working relationships with co workers, employees, and outside representatives.
- Requires personality attuned to meeting the needs of children
- Requires the ability to recognize differences in sound, such as voices/noises that are loud and playful instead of angry and combative; and ability to differentiate tones and volumes in conversations.
- Requires ability to motivate people
- Requires ability to understand and relate to specific ideas one at a time and to the concepts behind specific ideas.
- Requires ability to maintain confidentiality; ability to work with moderate supervision exercising excellent professional judgment required.
- Requires proficient ability to exhibit detail-oriented skills necessary to understand and manage a wide-range of information
- Proficient working knowledge and ability to accurately and timely operate and perform computer related tasks with specific equipment and software applications required.
- Requires professional commitment to Christian principles and teachings so as to perform tasks and responsibilities in alignment with Buckner's mission, vision, and values.
- Requires ability to use up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently and/or 10 pounds continuously to move objects.
- Requires ability to walk, stand and sit, sometimes for prolonged periods of time.
- Requires sufficient good health to properly discharge duties. Employees shall not be permitted to work who have infectious disease or skin lesion for the duration of the communicability.
- Requires ability to learn and exhibit proper CPR and First
In addition to the amazing qualifications and experiences listed above, if we had our say, we would also look for:
- A willingness and desire to build and maintain awesome working relationships with your coworkers, volunteers, and the community served at Mary Jo Garden CDC.
- A commitment to your own professional growth and development to enhance CDC services.
At Buckner one of the ways we show value to our team members is by offering the following perks:
- Medical and Dental benefits for employees and their eligible dependents;
- Life insurance;
- Short Term and Long Term Disability benefits;
- Paid Time Off and Holidays;
- Paid Parental Leave;
- Retirement Savings Plan; and
- The 5Star Fun Benefit: encourages employees to spread good cheer to their co-workers and others, creating a happy, healthy environment for all!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Buckner is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Buckner.