About the Role
As a Maintenance Technician in our Family Hope Center at Bachman Lake, you make the work possible by creating a clean, safe space for our clients to come and receive services. This position combines preventative maintenance with general janitorial tasks and is responsible for the maintenance operations of the buildings, equipment and grounds. You will make the building shine so that the entire Buckner team can shine hope in the lives of our clients.
What You’ll Do
As a member of our team you will have an impact on our clients through accomplishment of the following responsibilities:
- Perform general maintenance functions including: changing light bulbs; replacing broken switch plates and outlet covers; unstopping toilets, sinks and drains; replacing blinds; handing window coverings, pictures, bulletin boards, etc.; touch up painting; checking and cleaning gutters; replacing doorknobs and strike plates, hinges, cabinet knobs, etc.; watering outside shrubbery as needed; and reporting other maintenance needs.
- Perform basic repairs to buildings and miscellaneous equipment or appliances, vehicles, and lawn equipment.
- Perform routine campus cleaning functions including, but not limited to: observing grounds; picking up debris or trash; maintaining maintenance building, storage areas, paint room, and other work areas in a clean and orderly manner; hauling items to the dump as necessary; maintaining areas behind buildings in a clean and orderly manner free of debris; and cleaning porches, outside windows and shutters as needed.
- Clean and service common areas, restrooms, and offices; dust furniture and equipment; clean windows, window sills, and light globes; empty trash baskets and remove trash; clean and polish sinks, mirrors, and similar items; replenish supplies of soap, towels, and cleaning supplies; clean and polish brass, glass panels, doors, partitions, and paneling; check and fill all dispensers- hand, soap, and paper.
- Conduct basic lawn care and landscaping on a regular basis, including any work needed in parking lot.
- Perform routine campus cleaning functions including, but not limited to: observing grounds; picking up debris or trash; maintaining building maintenance, storage areas, paint room, and other work areas in a clean and orderly manner; hauling items to the dump as necessary; maintaining areas behind buildings in a clean and orderly manner free of debris; and cleaning porches, outside windows and shutters as needed.
- Perform routine safety walk-through of all buildings; identify and report potential safety hazards.
- Ensure all routine maintenance needs of campus vehicles are completed monthly including oil changes, annual inspections, weekly checks and refueling.
- Direct/oversee janitorial and lawn work of volunteers and community service workers.
- Drive van to pick up and unload donations; sort donations.
- Keep utility storage rooms in good order by cleaning lockers and equipment, arranging supplies, and sweeping, vacuuming and mopping floor.
- Perform all duties in a courteous manner and maintain excellence in customer service including cheerfully greeting clients and visitors and exercising respect with co-workers.
What You’ll Bring to the Team
To be successful in this role and a great addition to our team we need you to come with the following:
- High School Diploma (or G.E.D.)
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English
- Minimum of 2 years prior related maintenance and janitorial experience;
- Good understanding of all phases of housekeeping operations including a basic knowledge of house cleaning devices, such as brooms, mops, cleaning agents and sanitation/cleaning requirements;
- Working knowledge of basic maintenance for facility upkeep;
- Ability to move cleaning and maintenance equipment throughout the facility on a daily basis;
- Ability to work outside in various weather conditions;
- Ability to recognize differences in sound generated by equipment or machinery which may indicate operating problems or safety concerns;
- Ability to adjust and operate electric-powered cleaning equipment; ability to work with hand tools;
- Ability to perform tasks with due consideration for clients and others in the area and ability to cooperate and work with other employees with a positive attitude and demeanor;
- Age 21 with a valid driver's license and a clean driving record so you can be insured on the Buckner insurance and so as to drive Buckner vehicles as needed;
- A professional commitment to Christian principles so as to perform tasks and responsibilities in alignment with Buckner’s mission, vision, and values;
- Self-motivation to guide daily work with only moderate supervision;
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to use tact and courtesy in interactions with coworkers, youth and their families;
In addition to the amazing qualifications and experiences listed above, if we had our say, we would also look for:
- Previous experience providing facility management and maintenance services in similar organizations.
At Buckner one of the ways we show value to our team members is by offering the following perks:
- Medical and Dental benefits for employees and their eligible dependents;
- Life insurance;
- Short Term and Long Term Disability benefits;
- Paid Time Off and Holidays;
- Paid Parental Leave;
- Retirement Savings Plan; and
- The 5Star Fun Benefit: encourages employees to spread good cheer to their co-workers and others, creating a happy, healthy environment for all!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Buckner is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Buckner.