About the Role
As the Life Skills Trainer at the Buckner Family Hope Center at Reed Road, you shine hope in the lives of our program participants by assisting in the daily operations of the teen program and facilitation of the Life and Leadership program for youth ages 13-15. You will have the opportunity to make a lasting impact on our program participants in our summer programs, after-school programs, during field trips, and our Saturday activities and events.
What You’ll Do
As a member of our team, you will have an impact on our program participants through accomplishment of the following responsibilities:
- Provide training for students ages 13-15 on various life skills, including leadership, communication, character development, goal setting and educational success.
- Plan and facilitate the curriculum to be used for the program including daily projects, workshops and guest speakers, evaluation tools.
- Provide environment that stimulates self-confidence, personal expression, culturally sensitivity, trust and a respect for others while remaining attentive to the physical, emotional, spiritual and academic growth of youth participating in program.
- Guide learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects to communicate objectives to students.
- Organize, schedule, and implement programs of study adapted to meet the individual needs, interests and abilities of the student population. You will utilize current and relevant subject matter, including curricula used by other community programs and organizations and adapt them to students’ identified needs.
- Monitor student learning and pace instruction according to maturity and interest level of the students ensuring expectations and standards are explained and understood by both students and parents.
- Provide ongoing evaluation for student progress through daily supervision, assignments, and pre-and post-testing.
- Conduct regular parent meetings and provide progress reports as required.
- Assist in developing and implementing policies and rules governing student performance and their conduct in the classroom.
- Encourage students to maintain appropriate standards of classroom behavior and apply those standards in a fair and consistent manner.
- Coordinate programming with other team members as needed to assist students in meeting learning objectives.
- Oversee the day-to-day program activities to ensure quality standards and a safe environment.
- Maintain accurate attendance and progress records for each student, and subsequently prepare and submit monthly reports.
- Maintain minimum attendance requirements and oversee client enrollment based on established eligibility guidelines.
- Identify and foster relationships with various youth-serving agencies, schools, and area businesses. Ensure their input, services, and support is considered in developing the curriculum and programming.
- Foster and ensure open, effective communication between parents and team members to improve student motivation and remove barriers to learning and development.
- Maintain an awareness of the needs of children with openness and flexibility for program changes when necessary and implement program changes as directed.
- Market the program and recruit new students as needed; create opportunities to publicize the program at school events as well as events in the broader community; and speak in public on behalf of Buckner to promote our programs.
- Plan and oversee purposeful assignments for volunteers assigned to the program.
- Maintain compliance with all Buckner policies, procedures, and requirements. Maintain compliance with state and federal laws and regulatory requirements.
- Work successfully as a part of a team and responsible for developing then maintaining strong working relationships with co-workers.
- Participate in professional development and training opportunities to increase competency and effectiveness.
- Travel as needed to monitor, assess, and help develop programs.
What You’ll Bring to the Team
To be successful in this role and a great addition to our team we need you to come with the following:
- High School Diploma or G.E.D
- Minimum of 2 years prior related experience working with children and families
- Prior related program experience
- Proficient ability to speak, read, and write in English.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to develop, implement and deliver curriculum-based training
- Working knowledge of, and ability to implement consistent classroom management techniques
- Working knowledge of budgetary management and development of policies and procedures
- Ability to drive assigned vehicle or personal vehicle with appropriate state license; must provide proof of liability insurance and must be able to be insured under Buckner’s insurance policy. Must be age 21 or older to drive on behalf of Buckner
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to exhibit detail-oriented skills necessary to understand and manage a range of information
- Working knowledge and ability to accurately and timely operate and perform computer related tasks with specific equipment and software applications.
- Ability to use up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently and/or 10 pounds continuously to move objects.
- Ability to walk, stand and sit, sometimes for prolonged periods of time.
- A professional commitment to Christian principles and teachings so as to perform tasks and responsibilities in alignment with Buckner’s mission, vision, and values.
In addition to the amazing qualifications and experiences listed above, if we had our say, we would also look for:
- An Associate’s Degree in education or a related field of social services
At Buckner one of the ways we show value to our team members is by offering the following perks:
- Medical and Dental benefits for employees and their eligible dependents;
- Life insurance;
- Short Term and Long Term Disability benefits;
- Paid Time Off and Holidays;
- Paid Parental Leave;
- Retirement Savings Plan; and
- The 5Star Fun Benefit: encourages employees to spread good cheer to their co-workers and others, creating a happy, healthy environment for all!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Buckner is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Buckner.