About the Role
As the Program and Activities Supervisor, you shine hope in the lives of our guests and participants by providing support to camp operations and leading activity staff, retreat staff and summer staff in all camp activities.
What You’ll Do
As a member of our team you will have an impact on our clients through accomplishment of the following responsibilities:
- Supervise year-round activity staff, retreat staff and summer staff for all groups being served at Camp Buckner for retreats and summer camp programs.
- Overseeing talent management practices, including recruitment, performance management, growth and development and continuous feedback.
- Assist, guide and support supervisors with employee, intern, and volunteer selection, reviews, evaluations, and terminations.
- Assist Campus Program Director in delivering and participating in staff training for activity staff, retreat staff, and summer camp staff.
- Assist Campus Program Director to ensure all activity areas as maintained appropriately and in compliance with safety standards.
- Assist Campus Program Director in managing summer staff, activity staff and retreat staff schedules, duties, and projects.
- Support the preparation and transition between groups arriving and departing Camp Buckner.
- Supervise and schedule staff to setup and breakdown meeting rooms as required.
- Ensure meeting rooms are setup appropriately and that all group requirements are met.
- Ensure activity areas are prepared appropriately and are functional for each specific group.
- Ensure that A/V equipment is in good working order and updated to meet all group requirements; manage inventory.
- Assist Campus Program Director in booking and coordinating groups.
- Assist in developing and managing budget effectively; manage program resources to ensure that are used efficiently and appropriately.
- Maintain compliance with all Buckner policies, procedures, and requirements. Maintain compliance with all state and federal laws and regulatory requirements.
- Work successfully as part of a team and responsible for developing then maintaining strong working relationships with co-workers.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings, management team meetings, and trainings as required; facilitate meetings and trainings as required.
- Cultivate and monitor relationships with outside service providers, consultants, agencies, and organizations to develop relationships to enhance the delivery of services to clients.
- Update records for company files, training materials, information, and other areas as required accurately and in a timely fashion.
- Perform general office tasks as required.
- Work nights and weekends as needed to meet business needs.
- Perform special assignments, projects, and other duties as required.
What You’ll Bring to the Team
To be successful in this role and a great addition to our team we need you to come with the following:
- An in-depth understanding of camp and retreat center activities and programs as well as staff management and supervision.
- High School Diploma (or G.E.D.) required plus the completion of one semester of college.
- Prior related experience managing, or supervising employees, interns or volunteers required.
- A current certification or the willingness to obtain and maintain a Level 1 & Level 2 and CCM challenge course certification from an ACCT (Association for Challenge Course Technology) accredited vendor.
- A current certification or the willingness to obtain and maintain certifications in Lifeguard Training Instructor (LGI), Lifeguarding and Waterfront Skills from a Nationally Recognized Certification Program.
- A current certification or the willingness to obtain and maintain certifications in CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and Health Care Providers and Responding to Emergencies: First Aid from a Nationally Recognized Certification Program.
- Requires a current certification or the willingness to obtain and maintain an Archery Instructor Training: Level 1 Certification provided by a certified trainer from USA Archery and the National Field Archery Association.
- Ability to speak in public and successfully communicate in a professional manner.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work nights and weekends as needed to meet business needs.
- Ability to work effectively with culturally diverse youth and families.
- Proficient working knowledge and understanding of the applicable regulatory standards and requirements governing programs and services.
- Ability to effectively manage employees; including staff selection, development, motivation, scheduling, and evaluation.
- Ability to perform tasks with little supervision.
- Ability to observe and make accurate assessments of situations and take proper action.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and respond in crisis/pressure situations; requires flexibility to meet changing business needs.
- A personality attuned to the requirements of meeting needs of clients and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public.
- Ability to speak, read and write English.
- Requires ability to speak clearly and make self-understood effectively in face-to-face
- Proficient working knowledge and ability to accurately and timely operate and perform computer related tasks with specific equipment and software applications required.
- A professional commitment to Christian principles and teachings to perform tasks and responsibilities in alignment with Buckner’s mission, vision, and values.
- Ability to drive assigned vehicle(s) or personal vehicle, with appropriate state license, following all laws applicable; must provide proof of liability insurance and must be eligible to be insured under Buckner’s insurance policy.
- Must be age 21 or older to drive on behalf of Buckner.
- Ability to use up to 50 pounds of force sporadically, and/or up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently to move objects and/or people.
- Ability to grasp, pull, push, carry or otherwise manipulate objects; ability to perform tasks requiring action of muscles or groups of muscles and foot and/or hand-eye coordination.
- Ability to walk, stand and sit, sometimes for prolonged periods of time.
In addition to the amazing qualifications and experiences listed above, if we had our say, we would also look for:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field preferred.
- Prior related experience managing camp or retreat staff preferred
At Buckner one of the ways we show value to our team members is by offering the following perks:
- The 5Star Fun Plan Benefit: encourages employees to spread good cheer to their co-workers and residents creating a happy, healthy environment for all!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Buckner is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Buckner.