About the Role
As a Foster Home Developer, you will impact the lives of children and families by coordinating, supporting, and recruiting families to become Buckner foster parents while promoting Buckner Foster Care Services to the Community.
What You’ll Do
As a member of our team you will have an impact on our clients through accomplishment of the following responsibilities:
- Coordinate and implement recruitment of foster parents for the Foster Care Program.
- Recruit and develop foster homes by participating in public relations assignments targeted towards educating the community and identifying the foster care needs within the region. Participate in regional needs assessment processes by identifying and prioritizing foster/adoptive care needs at the local level.
- Review applications of potential foster parents and assist in the selection and screening process. Timely and accurately complete the required licensing assessment and support processes to ensure families meet licensing standards and are appropriately prepared to care for children. This includes completing home studies, making recommendations for utilization, introducing new families to field/adoptive staff for future utilization and amending individual licenses as appropriate.
- Maintain a supportive relationship with foster care resources by identifying on-going training and support needs, coordinating and assisting in obtaining such services along with other team members; and strengthening department relationships with foster parents.
- Monitor licensed foster or adoptive homes as required to ensure the home remains compliant with licensing standards and assist families in resolving any compliance issues.
- Maintain accurate records as required to include auditing family files on a regular basis to ensure all requirements are met, monitoring foster care payments for reimbursement, and completing reports, statistics, records and documentation of activities.
- Maintain contact with, and oversee foster children as required by licensing and Buckner policy and work with foster parents in coordinating visits with the placing agency and/or family for family visits and contact. Assist foster parents with age-appropriate therapeutic and leisure activities and transportation for family visits and other necessary appointments.
- Provide ongoing support to foster parents including pre-service and ongoing training programs to parents with monthly supervisory visits to foster homes.
- Work collaboratively with case managers to coordinate scheduling of placements and discharges with caseworkers.
- Consult with TDFPS staff with recommendations about selection of foster family resources that best meet the needs of children, which includes recommendations for support services. Conduct investigations relative to complaints about licensed foster/adoptive homes in accordance with TDFSP to identify issues and assist families in developing corrective action plans and making recommendations for licensing enforcement when appropriate.
What You’ll Bring to the Team
To be successful in this role and a great addition to our team we need you to come with the following:
- A Bachelor's Degree in behavioral sciences or education.
- Minimum one year prior related professional experience in a public or private social welfare agency required.
- An extensive knowledge of modern methods and techniques required for specialized training programs and knowledge of available literature in the social work field.
- Knowledge of social and economic problems of community and individual health, educational and recreational needs and community and State resources.
- Ability to maintain effective professional relationships with foster parents, staff and other disciplines, including the ability to deal with a variety of adults and children with a range of personalities and challenges.
- Excellent public speaking skills to successfully communicate with a multi-ethnic population base in the community and proficient ability to speak, read, and write English.
- A personality attuned to the requirements of meeting needs of clients, speak clearly to make yourself understood effectively in face to face interactions and articulate with accuracy and effectively motivate people.
- Ability to use professional discernment skills and maintain confidentiality, using analytical and innovative thinking to solve problems and present viable solutions.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and demonstrate a self-starter attitude by showing initiative, handling multiple tasks, and demonstrating effective organizational skills.
- Ability to perform child restraints as necessary, take CPR, first aid, and restraint training upon employment with Buckner, and participate as a trainer in these areas.
- Age 21 with a valid driver's license and a clean driving record so you can be insured on the Buckner insurance and provide transportation as needed. Requires personal transportation to provide services throughout the local community;
- Ability to work nights and weekends and be on-call as needed;
- A professional commitment to Christian principles so as to perform tasks and responsibilities in alignment with Buckner’s mission, vision, and values;
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to use tact and courtesy in interactions with coworkers, individuals and families.
In addition to the amazing qualifications and experiences listed above, if we had our say, we would also look for:
- Master’s degree with course work in behavioral sciences or education.
- Minimum one-year prior related professional experience in a public or private social welfare agency.
- A commitment to your own professional growth and development to enhance program services.
- A willingness and desire to build and maintain excellent working relationships with your co-workers, volunteers, and the community that we rely on to support our programs.
At Buckner one of the ways we show value to our team members is by offering the following perks:
- Medical and Dental benefits for employees and their eligible dependents;
- Life insurance;
- Short Term and Long Term Disability benefits;
- Paid Time Off and Holidays;
- Paid Parental Leave;
- Retirement Savings Plan; and
- The 5Star Fun Benefit: encourages employees to spread good cheer to their co-workers and others, creating a happy, healthy environment for all!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Buckner is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Buckner.