About the Role
As the Manager of Missions located in the Rio Grande Valley (RGV), you shine hope in the lives of our program participants by providing leadership, oversight, and direction for mission projects in the United States and Internationally. Through your endeavors, you will be responsible for fueling the healthy housing and agricultural programs to make a lasting impact on families. You will also assist the Director with implementation of church and volunteer mobilization strategies to provide necessary resources to program participants.
What You’ll Do
As a member of our team you will have an impact on our clients through accomplishment of the following responsibilities:
- Provide leadership and management for mission projects, including construction and home builds in the Texas Rio Grande Valley (RGV)
- Oversee all project phases for the Health Housing program (home builds and healthy homes), agriculture program (AgriHope) and other programs and projects while ensuring effective results in alignment with our defined monitoring and evaluation plan
- Assist in developing construction management strategies that result in more effective and efficient execution of mission projects.
- Provide leadership and oversight for all activities and Buckner Missions team members related to humanitarian aid in the RGV and ensure humanitarian aid practices are consistent and aligned with Buckner strategic objectives.
- Work with Buckner Volunteer Engagement team to build and implement a local volunteer recruitment strategy in the RGV.
- Plan, develop, and coordinate mission trip experiences. This includes preparing and submitting application forms and materials for website postings, planning and communicating trip details with the contact person for each team, conducting mission trip orientations, and creating necessary budgets.
- Work with Buckner Church Engagement and Development teams to build and implement a mission team/group recruitment strategy to resource Buckner programs and projects. This includes building strong relationships with church or mission group contacts and donors; training participants who will be assisting with mission trips; and teaching, speaking, and participating in missions, social justice, and poverty conferences.
- Assist with the analysis of program needs to develop, modify, and implement changes to meet the changing needs of the programs.
- Assist in developing policies and procedures for specific programs/projects to promote safety for Buckner team members, interns, volunteers, and mission groups.
- Travel as needed to lead mission trips and help develop programs (typically 1-2 international trips per year).
- Source, hire, supervise, monitor, evaluate and provide direction to direct reports. Provide professional growth and development; develop and communicate goals and objectives. Monitor and provide constructive feedback; conduct annual performance evaluation. Ensure optimal job performance; identify issues, and direct corrective actions.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with Buckner team members, Board members, donors, and other stakeholders, as necessary. Promote positive internal relationships with all Buckner team members.
- Cultivate and monitor relationships with outside service providers, consultants, agencies, and organizations to develop relationships to enhance the delivery of services to clients.
- Serve as a liaison to the community and speak in public on behalf of Buckner.
What You’ll Bring to the Team
To be successful in this role and a great addition to our team we need you to come with the following:
- High School Diploma (or G.E.D)
- Minimum 5 years prior related missions experience.
- An in-depth understanding of missions, construction, humanitarian aid, and project management, and an in-depth knowledge of residential construction and project management.
- Proficient ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw conclusions dealing with abstract variables, and ability to conduct program development and outcomes measurement
- Prior related experience in international settings
- In-depth knowledge of social development and social change theory and practice, and knowledge of poverty alleviation strategies
- Knowledge of operations management, and ability to conduct program development and outcomes measurement
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing; and ability to speak, read, and write in English
- Ability to travel to various geographic locations with some overnight stays. Requires ability to secure and maintain current documentation necessary to travel internationally, including, but not limited to, a passport. Reliable transportation is required, including vehicle travel and airline travel to domestic and international locations.
- Requires the ability to drive assigned vehicle(s) or personal vehicle, with appropriate state license, following all laws applicable; must provide proof of liability insurance and must be eligible to be insured under Buckner’s insurance policy. Requires ability to rent vehicles both domestically and internationally using required documentation. Must be age 21 or older to drive on behalf of Buckner.
- Proficient working knowledge and ability to accurately and timely operate and perform computer related tasks with specific equipment and software applications, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook, required.
- Proficient working knowledge of budgetary management and development of policies and procedures, and an in-depth ability to plan, administer, and report budgets.
- Ability to work under pressure and remain flexible as priorities change; ability to work under minimal supervision; must be self-motivated and able to motivate others; and ability to exercise excellent professional judgment
- Ability to lead others, foster teamwork, relate well to others, and meet people with ease.
- Ability to use up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently and/or 10 pounds continuously to move objects.
- Ability to grasp, push, pull, carry, or otherwise manipulate objects and/or people. Requires the ability to walk, stand and sit sometimes for prolonged periods of time.
In addition to the amazing qualifications and experiences listed above, if we had our say, we would also look for:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field
- Experience in Latin America
- Prior experience in Strategic Management
- Bilingual; ability to speak, read, and write in Spanish
At Buckner one of the ways we show value to our team members is by offering the following perks:
- Medical and Dental benefits for employees and their eligible dependents;
- Life insurance;
- Short Term and Long Term Disability benefits;
- Paid Time Off and Holidays;
- Paid Parental Leave;
- Retirement Savings Plan; and
- The 5Star Fun Benefit: encourages employees to spread good cheer to their co-workers and others, creating a happy, healthy environment for all!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Buckner is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Buckner.