About the Role
As a Certified Medication Aide you will inspire happiness in the community through excellence in customer service while pouring, administering and recording medications under the direct supervision and guidance of a licensed nurse.
What You’ll Do
As a member of our team you will have an impact on our clients through accomplishment of the following responsibilities:
- Assist with the accurate implementation of the prescribed health care plan.
- Accurately and timely administer medications to residents according to prescribed schedule.
- Accurately administer and timely document regularly prescribed medications, as permitted, after personally preparing (setting up) the medications.
- Accurately administer PRN medications if authorized by the charge nurse.
- Accurately and timely document all PRNs according to state standards in all areas of the chart.
- Observe and report to supervisor any reactions and side affects of medication administered.
- Take and record vital signs of residents, as required, prior to administration of medications which could affect or change the vital signs.
- Apply specifically ordered ophthalmic, optic, and nasal medications, as instructed; administer oxygen per nasal canula or a non-sealing facemask, in an emergency.
- Count narcotics, give all routinely prescribed narcotics, document it on Individual’s sheet and medication sheet- at discretion of supervisor.
- See that the medication room, med cart, and refrigerator are kept clean and orderly at all times.
- Accurately log refrigerator temperature on a daily basis.
- Report incidents, as directed, on medication errors, accidents, or unusual events, on residents, visitors, or employees; and, as directed, chart some resident conditions or other pertinent information.
- Restock med cart with ample supplies; check expiration dates on all medication.
- Perform other tasks in support of your team including: staff nursing station and answer phones as needed; assist in dining room with meal serving and feeding as needed; and work schedules, assignments and units as requested including performing Nurse Aide resident care duties.
- Follow the Buckner 5STARS of customer service and timely respond to requests for assistance of information.
What You’ll Bring to the Team
To be successful in this role and a great addition to our team we need you to come with the following:
- Current Medication Aide Certification
- CPR/First Aid certified
- Professional knowledge of basic health care practices and procedures including infection control
- Basic understanding of the uses, results, and dispensation of medications
- Ability to perform the physical requirements of the job including bending, stooping, twisting, turning, reaching, lifting, carrying, pulling, pushing, climbing, kneeling, walking, and standing over 75% of shift
- Attention to detail is critical as an error could have life threatening consequences
- Ability to exercise patience, tact, initiative, judgment, and confidentiality (following established guidelines)
- Ability to recognize changes in a resident’s appearance, attitude, and condition
- Personality attuned to the requirements of meeting the needs of the infirm and aged, and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers and others
In addition to the amazing qualifications and experiences listed above, if we had our say, we would also look for:
- High School Diploma (or G.E.D.) plus a minimum of 1 year prior experience as a nursing assistant
- Prior experience in customer service
At Buckner one of the ways we show value to our team members is by offering the following perks:
- Medical and Dental benefits for employees and their eligible dependents;
- Life insurance;
- Short Term and Long Term Disability benefits;
- Paid Time Off and Holidays;
- Retirement Savings Plan; and
- The 5Star Fun Benefit: encourages employees to spread good cheer to their co-workers and others, creating a happy, healthy environment for all!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Buckner is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Buckner.