About the Role
Responsible for overseeing the therapeutic and recreational activities for geriatric groups. This position will be responsible for planning, coordinating, directing and evaluating residents activity programs in the Assisted Living and Memory Care departments.
What You'll Do:
As a member of our team you will have an impact on our clients through accomplishment of the following activities:
- Oversee the activities in both Assisted Living and Memory care by developing a plan, and implementing the social, recreational, educational, and spiritual activities for residents in health care.
- Maintains activity programming in Assisted Living.
- Conducts ongoing evaluation of programming with activity directors/ coordinators to assess effectiveness, resident participation and needs for change or addition of new programming according to the desires of the resident. Reports information back to Administrator and Assisted Living Director.
- Works successfully as a part of a team and responsible for developing and maintaining strong working relationships with other activity directors.
- Motivates residents and creates excitement for utilization and participation in established and new programs.
- Cultivate and maintain positive networking contacts with vendors and community resources and volunteers.
- Reports programming success, challenges, changes and new ideas to the Administrator and Assisted Living Director.
- Reports concerns or issues for the skilled nursing activity director to Administrator. Reports concerns or issues for the Activity Coordinator in the Harbor to the Director of Assisted Living.
- Maintains compliance with all Buckner policies, procedures, and requirements. Maintains compliance with all federal and state laws. Maintains compliance with all agency regulatory guidelines and requirements.
- Assists and facilitates with other activity directors to organize parties, games, trips, and other departmental activities in which residents participate in Healthcare.
- Participates in Resident Council meetings in both Assisted Living, Skilled Nursing and Memory Support.
- Maintains orderliness and cleanliness of activity room, storage areas and offices personally and through cooperation with staff.
- Posts daily activities and special events; coordinates seasonal decorating in coordination of other activity directors
- Detects, corrects or reports situations that have a possibility of causing accidents or injuries to residents or other
- Observes and reports resident symptoms, reactions and changes.
- Participates in in-service training.
- Performs other assignments and duties as requested.
What You'll Bring to the Team:
- Requires basic understanding of a specialized area of knowledge normally acquired through four years of high school, G.E.D. or equivalent.
- Must meet one of the following criteria:
- Has two (2) years of experience in a social or recreational program within the last five (5) years, one of which was full time in a patient activities program in a health care setting;
- Ability to use up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a small amount of force continuously to move objects and/or people.
- Bending, stooping, walking, standing, and frequently pushing and pulling movements over 75% of shift.
- Work deals mostly with areas such as preparing and reading data and figures, client records, medical orders, visual inspection involving small details, using measurement devices. Visual work is primarily close to the observer. Depth perception and field of vision (peripheral) are not as critical as the ability to distinguish small details and markings very near to the observer. Color perception for some tasks is important.
- Ability to recognize differences in sound, such as voices/noises that are loud and playful instead of angry and combative.
- Ability to drive 12-passenger van or similar vehicle, with current appropriate state license, following all laws applicable.
- Ability to encourage dignity and self-esteem in residents, utilizing basic knowledge of human behavior and basic knowledge of physical/emotional needs and modalities of the elderly.
- Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with other employees and the public. Ability to exercise tact, courtesy and confidentiality. Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to plan, promote, and direct community service programs in the interest of the residents. Ability to evaluate and assign volunteer workers to appropriate jobs.
- Ability to work under flexible and busy schedules. Moderate supervision received.
- Knowledge and skill in recreation, creative arts, crafts, music, and drama activities for the elderly; and ability to plan, organize and direct sessions with a wide variety of well and impaired residents.
- Knowledge of basic health care practices and procedures; familiarity with counseling and education techniques in health care field.
- Commitment to Christian principles and teachings both professionally and personally.
- Sufficient good health to properly discharge duties. Employees shall not be permitted to work who have infectious disease or skin lesion, for the duration of the communicability.
In addition to the amazing qualifications and experience listed above, if we had our say, we would also look for the following:
- A preferred qualified therapeutic recreation specialist who is licensed or registered by the State of Texas; and is eligible for certification as a therapeutic recreation specialist, therapeutic recreation assistant or an activities professional.
- We prefer if the incumbent have completed an activity director training course approved by the National Certification Council for Activity Professionals or the National Therapeutic Recreation Society.
- Is a qualified occupational therapist or occupational therapy assistant
At Buckner one of the ways we show value to our team members is by offering the following perks:
- Medical and Dental benefits for employees and their eligible dependents;
- Life insurance;
- Short Term and Long Term Disability benefits;
- Paid Time Off and Holidays;
- Retirement Savings Plan; and
- The 5-Star Fun Benefit: encourages employees to spread good cheer to their co-workers and others, creating a happy, healthy environment for all!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Buckner is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Buckner.