About the Role
As our Director of Business Services you will supervise all functions of the Business Office including, accounts receivable and accounts payable. Manage and oversee all community resource functions for Ventana by Buckner.
What You’ll Do
As a member of our team you will have an impact on our clients through accomplishment of the following responsibilities:
- Accurately prepare and bill all Private Pay, Medicare, other insurance carriers, and coinsurance amounts monthly in accordance with CMS guidelines and Ventana by Buckner policy.
- Participates as an active member of the Triple Check team to ensure CMS compliance and accuracy of billing information in accordance with regulatory requirements.
- Monitor and manage the aging of Private Pay, Medicare, and other insurance carriers, and coinsurance accounts receivables.
- Review all accounts receivable and accounts payable for accuracy.
- Prepare monthly A/R aging list for review by Director of Financial Planning and Analysis.
- Prepares and submits required documentation for any needed write-offs.
- Prepares and submits requests for entrance fee refunds with supporting documentation and processes approved requests.
- Creates and maintains the monthly spend down record to guide department leaders in managing their budgets.
- Reviewed monthly financials in detail for errors in coding and prepares all necessary journal entries for monthly accrual as well as adjustments and other corrections as needed.
- Accurately and timely manages the monthly business cycle including month end close and ensures all charges from other systems including Orbits, Fullcount, and credit card transactions are accurately downloaded to the billing system.
- Communicate with administrative staff, Executive Director and Healthcare Billing Specialist regarding collection efforts, payments, and payment postings.
- Timely and accurately provide information and support to staff and clients including but not limited to insurance verifications, checking common working file to verify Medicare days, verifies applicants meet financial qualifications and communicates results to the Executive Director or designee.
- Accurately update and maintain resident records including admission, discharge, and transfer information; maintain residents’ insurance information and Medicare and coinsurance supporting documentation files.
- Sets up new vendors in the accounts payable system and ensure appropriate records are maintained including certificates of insurance.
- Accurately completes required information for insurance applications.
- Manages the contract approval process with the Buckner Support center for new vendor relationships.
- Manage tasks and projects assigned by supervisor; research, analyze data, and produce statistical reports as required.
- Leads the annual budgeting process for the community and provides support to department directors in the development of their respective department projections.
- Exercise excellent discernment skills to identify, analyze, and determine effective management of all issues, concerns, and day-to-day communication in office independently, one-on-one with supervisor and as a team; make independent decisions in accordance with guidelines.
- Research issues and assist to resolve issues in accordance with policies, procedures, and regulatory requirements.
- Coordinate and lead training sessions for all staff according to required policies, state, and federal regulations, and for the purpose of staff growth and development. Work with department leadership to develop and maintain ongoing training specific to departmental needs.
- Track data and establish benchmarks for ongoing comparative analysis of various operational metrics including retention, market wages, overtime utilization, FTE utilization, and other reports as requested.
- Accurately and timely respond to internal and external requests.
- Maintain a neat and orderly work environment within an assigned area.
- Perform all duties in a courteous manner and maintain excellence in customer service including but not limited to cheerfully greeting residents and visitors with a smile and exercising respect with co-workers.
- Source, hire, supervise, monitor, evaluate and provide direction to direct reports, as needed. Provide professional growth and development; develop and communicate goals and objectives. Monitor and provide constructive feedback; conduct annual performance evaluation.
- Respond to questions from facility personnel accurately and timely.
- Accurately prepare and proofread memos, letters, spreadsheets and other documents and correspondence as required. Complete accurate and timely documentation.
- Review and accurately process mail, faxes, emails, and other correspondence in a timely manner.
- Answer phones, take messages, and respond to requests timely.
- Assist management to maintain compliance with all applicable state and federal laws and regulatory requirements.
- Oversee management of SDS binders in accordance with established guidelines. Identify errors and make corrections.
- Maintain compliance with all Buckner policies, procedures, and requirements. Maintain compliance with all federal and state laws. Maintain compliance with all agency regulatory guidelines and requirements.
- Attend and participate in trainings and staff meetings as required.
- Develop emerging leadership through professional growth and development.
- Responsible for supporting and representing Buckner at special events, activities, and other assigned functions.
- Work successfully as a part of a team and responsible for developing then maintaining strong working relationships with co-workers.
- Perform general office tasks as required.
- Perform special assignments, projects, and other duties as required.
What You’ll Bring to the Team
To be successful in this role and a great addition to our team we need you to come with the following:
- Requires in-depth understanding of comprehensive and current field of knowledge in business office functions including Medicare and third-party billing, normally associated with the attainment of a bachelor’s degree. High School Diploma (or G.E.D.) required; Bachelor’s Degree in business management preferred. Minimum 3 years prior related experience including experience in payroll, accounts payable and accounts receivable required.
- Requires proficient ability to speak, read and write English professionally. Proficient ability to speak, read and write Spanish preferred.
- Requires job holder to work nights and weekends as requested.
- Work deals with areas such as preparing and reading data and figures, correspondence, emails, and visual inspection involving small details. Visual work is primarily close to the observer. Depth perception and field of vision (peripheral) are not as critical as the ability to distinguish small details and markings very near to the observer.
- Requires the ability to grasp, push, pull, carry, and otherwise manipulate objects; ability to perform tasks requiring action of muscles or groups or muscles and foot and/or eye-hand coordination.
- Requires ability to work with frequent interruptions; maintaining flexibility and dealing with change; takes initiative.
- Requires the ability to communicate clearly and make self understood in face to face situations.
- Requires ability to hear and receive verbal instructions, answer phones, communicate; articulate with accuracy to speak on the phone.
- Requires proficient skills for attention to detail and ability to maintain a routine.
- Requires excellent organizational skills.
- Requires ability to establish and maintain effective professional working relationships with co-workers, employees, and outside representatives.
- Requires excellent interpersonal skills; excellent public professional presentation skills required.
- Requires ability to understand and relate to specific ideas one at a time and to the concepts behind specific ideas; ability to remember verbal and written tasks/assignments from a few hours to several day periods.
- Requires ability to relate positively, influentially, and sensitively to a broad spectrum of persons in a variety of multi-tiered relationships and settings.
- Requires ability to provide strategic and logistical planning and facilitate meetings, conferences, workshops, and trainings as required.
- Requires ability to effectively manage personnel; requires administrative skills to include but not limited to staff selection, development, motivation, scheduling, and evaluation; ability to hold other accountable for work completed; provide training, development and feedback to staff.
- Requires ability to travel to various geographic locations and some overnight stays.
- Requires ability to drive assigned vehicle(s) or personal vehicle, with appropriate state license, following all laws applicable; must provide proof of liability insurance and must be eligible to be insured under Buckner’s insurance policy. Must be age 21 or older to drive on behalf of Buckner.
- Requires ability to maintain confidentiality; ability to work with moderate supervision exercising excellent professional judgment required.
- Requires proficient ability to exhibit detail-oriented skills necessary to understand and manage a wide-range of information.
- Proficient working knowledge and ability to accurately and timely operate and perform computer related tasks with specific equipment and software applications required; ability to use other office machinery including telephones, typewriter, copy machine, fax machine, and adding machine.
- Requires commitment to Christian principles and teachings both professionally and personally.
- Requires ability to use up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently and/or 10 pounds continuously to move objects.
- Requires ability to walk, stand and sit, sometimes for prolonged periods of time.
- Requires sufficient good health to properly discharge duties. Employees shall not be permitted to work who have infectious disease or skin lesion for the duration of the communicability.
In addition to the amazing qualifications and experiences listed above, if we had our say, we would also look for:
- Position requires bending, stooping, twisting, turning, reaching, lifting, carrying, pulling, pushing, climbing, kneeling, walking, and standing over 75% of shift.
- Requires ability to recognize differences in sound, such as voices/noises that are loud and playful instead of angry and combative.
- Requires ability to exercise independent judgment under broad nursing case guidelines. Exercises initiative, patience, tact, and confidentiality; demonstrates administrative and leadership ability; ability to analyze and evaluate objectively. Works under little direct supervision.
- Requires ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, elders, prospective elders, vendors, donors, families and the public. Ability to be assertive in dealing with vendors and media, and proactive with elders in seeking decisions about facility admissions. Ability to meet emotional and physical demands of patients (and to help insure their dignity) and staff on the unit.
- Requires ability to maintain composure, positive attitude and awareness of priorities in an environment of stress and frequent interruptions.
At Buckner one of the ways we show value to our team members is by offering the following perks:
- Medical and Dental benefits for employees and their eligible dependents;
- Life insurance;
- Short Term and Long Term Disability benefits;
- Paid Time Off and Holidays;
- Retirement Savings Plan; and
- The 5Star Fun Benefit: encourages employees to spread good cheer to their co-workers and others, creating a happy, healthy environment for all!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Buckner is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Buckner.