About the Role
As the Laundry Aide, you will impact the lives of Residents through cleanliness and care of all laundry and linens and for providing an adequate supply of clean laundry and linens at all times to meet the needs of the residents and control the spread of infections.
What You’ll Do
As a member of our team you will have an impact on our clients through accomplishment of the following responsibilities:
- Sort all dirty laundry by kind, soiled from contaminated laundry, in accordance with established procedures.
- Wash linens, garments, draperies, and other articles in an electrically powered washing machine.
- Weigh and load each washing machine appropriately in accordance with established procedures.
- Properly mix/dilute laundry detergents/chemicals and products according to instructions. Add detergent, soaps, bleach, bluing, and other chemicals as needed.
- Program each machine and adjust water temperature; record on laundry forms the required information.
- Transfer washed clothes and linen from drum to baskets to be taken to extractor or to dryer; damp-dry clothes or linens in extractor as appropriate.
- Iron garments with either an electric hand iron or an electronic machine ironer; adjust heat for proper temperature for each garment.
- Hang finished garments on hangers and place on appropriate racks as appropriate; fold and stack dry, clean garments and linen as directed.
- Label and timely deliver garments and linens to residents or storage as directed.
- Regularly check nursing unit and stock linens, towels, etc. as needed.
- Follow all infection control practices for the laundry in accordance with established policies and procedures. Follow all safety policies and procedures.
- Clean and organize work area before leaving work each day. Return empty laundry barrels to each building.
- Detect, correct and/or immediately report situations that have a possibility of causing accidents or injuries to residents or others. Report malfunctioning equipment and low levels of supplies.
- Observe and report resident symptoms, reactions and changes which may adversely affect the resident’s safety.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings and in-service training as required.
- Maintain compliance with all Buckner policies, procedures and requirements. Maintain compliance with all federal, state, and local laws as well as all agency regulatory guidelines and requirements.
- Assist with staff as needed to provide assistance to residents and/or support to facility operations.
- Pick up laundry from resident halls and other locations daily during shift.
- Perform other assignments and duties as requested.
What You’ll Bring to the Team
To be successful in this role and a great addition to our team we need you to come with the following:
- High School Diploma (or G.E.D.) preferred. Prior related experience in a long-term care setting preferred.
- Requires knowledge of procedures required to operate the Laundry in a clean, safe and sanitary manner. Requires knowledge of and ability to comply with established sanitation procedures.
- Requires ability to follow infection control practices that may vary to include universal precautions as well as isolation procedures.
- Requires proficient ability to speak, read, and write English; requires proficient ability to understand business documents and verbal and written instructions given in English.
- Requires ability to clearly communicate verbally with residents, families, visitors and co-workers. Requires ability to make self clearly understood by others.
- Requires the ability to understand and follow basic written and oral step-by-step instructions.
- Requires ability to operate or learn to operate laundry cleaning and related machines and equipment.
- Requires ability to change temperature and water levels as necessary; determine the load of a machine can carry efficiently and estimate amount of washing required for variety of items; control temperature of iron or ironer.
- Requires ability to perform routine, repetitive tasks on a continuous basis.
- Requires the ability to move laundry carts/equipment throughout the facility, using up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or a small amount of force continuously to move objects and/or people.
- Work deals mostly with objects, equipment and/or machines where the job is at or within arm’s reach. Depth perception and field of vision (peripheral) are of some importance.
- Requires sufficient strength, mobility and stamina to make frequent location and position changes, unload carts, load washers and push loaded carts up ramps.
- Requires ability to turn, stoop, kneel, crouch, reach, push, pull, handle, stand, and walk over 75% of shift.
- Requires the ability to recognize differences in sound, such as voices/noises that are loud and playful instead of angry and combative.
- Requires the ability to recognize differences in sound generated by equipment or machinery which may indicate operating problems or safety concerns.
- Requires the ability to learn to adjust and operate electric-powered laundry equipment.
- Requires the ability to perform tasks with due consideration for residents and co-workers in vicinity; ability to cooperate and work with other team players and teams.
- Requires the ability to work under limited supervision performing routine, standardized tasks.
- Requires commitment to Christian principles and teachings both professionally and personally.
- Requires sufficient good health to properly discharge duties. Employees shall not be permitted to work who have infectious disease or skin lesion, for the duration of the communicability.
- Requires ability to change duties quickly and to adapt to new projects.
At Buckner one of the ways we show value to our team members is by offering the following perks:
- Medical and Dental benefits for employees and their eligible dependents;
- Life insurance;
- Short Term and Long Term Disability benefits;
- Paid Time Off and Holidays;
- Retirement Savings Plan; and
- The 5-Star Fun Benefit: encourages employees to spread good cheer to their co-workers and others, creating a happy, healthy environment for all!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Buckner is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Buckner.