About the Role
As a LVN/Assisted Living Director, you will impact the lives of Residents through developing, planning, organizing, staffing, directing, coordinating, reporting, budgeting, and managing facilities, programs, people, supplies and equipment in such a manner as to establish a meaningful Assisted Living and Memory Care Programs to render the optimum clinical and social care outcome. Coordinate resident care management and staff direction; provide direct nursing care to residents as required.
What You’ll Do
As a member of our team you will have an impact on our clients through accomplishment of the following responsibilities:Orient staff to philosophy and objectives of nursing services.
- Establish and implement objectives for the Assisted Living and Memory Care programs and the organizational structure for achieving these objectives.
- Guide Assisted Living and Memory Care personnel in the development of personal and professional objectives and in the setting of program goals consistent with those established by the Assisted Living and Memory Care departments.
- Interpret and implement administrative policies and standards as established by the governing authorities.
- Ensure compliance with state and federal regulations in all areas of Assisted Living.
- Develop and/or approve all Assisted Living policies.
- Conduct community tours for admission prospects and visitors; answer telephone inquiries about the community and admission requirements; process admissions in the absence of the marketing team. Refer all sales leads to the marketing team.
- Work with marketing staff, social worker, and other team members to coordinate facility admissions and discharges.
- Participate in pre-admission evaluation of prospective residents; provide feedback as required.
- Participate in assessments of resident functional status, social, psychological, and spiritual needs on an ongoing basis.
- Monitor programming and provide input regarding resident specific intervention as needed. Recognize significant changes in resident condition or appearance and immediately report such changes to appropriate disciplines for follow-up. Ensure appropriate interventions are implemented.
- Establish goals and action plans in alignment with company objectives to ensure continued enhancement and improvement of resident services as well as to maintain a competitive community in the market.
- Maintain high resident satisfaction through utilization of direct staff, resident, and family feedback as well as evaluation and response to annual survey results.
- Initiate action plans and family conferences to resolve problems identified by staff, residents or family members. Initiate follow-up communication with all parties involved to ensure completion of action plan.
- Establish and maintain open and effective communication with residents, families, direct care staff, and other team members to develop, promote, and maintain Assisted Living programs.
- Intervene in resident disputes or disruptive behavior, if necessary, to maintain proper community harmony and resident safety. Report issues according to facility policy and procedure.
- Develop guidelines and program principles/procedures for Assisted Living that promotes the feel of home, maximized independence, reduced behaviors, community freedom, resident family involvement/support, and community awareness, satisfaction, and outcome expectations to enhance Buckner programs across the system.
- Assist with community quality control by evaluating nursing care rendered through such means as resident visits, quality assurance programs, chart audits, and team conferences.
- Interpret nursing policy and procedures.
- Develop and perform employee orientation for licensed and unlicensed staff in the department. Orient staff to philosophy and objectives of nursing services. Focus on on-boarding, re-boarding, hospitality, CPR, clinical skill development, skill validation, clinical instructor, annual in-service and staff education records, safety compliance monitoring, employee TB and Hepatitis program, Vision, ADP, and other software.
- Plan, organize, and direct Assisted Living personnel in fulfilling their responsibilities for resident care. Direct nurses and nursing assistants in setting priorities of care.
- Lead and direct monthly resident council meetings for Assisted Living to enhance program outcomes and solve problems and concerns. Facilitate follow-up items and ensure they timely and appropriately address any concerns.
- Collaborate with the Medical Director, Infection Control Nurse and Quality Assurance Coordinator in the execution of the Assisted Living program.
- Assist in the development and management of the program budget. Prepare the budget for the department. Maintain budgeted allowances and cost containment procedures. Manage program resources to ensure they are used efficiently and appropriately.
- Oversee the recruitment process for Assisted Living department and assist in the process for nursing care; prepare interview questions, interview candidates, select and hire applicants for positions.
- Lead staff to meet goals and objectives of the program to ensure a quality program of activities to meet the social, cognitive, and spiritual needs of the residents.
- Document and monitor training for staff. Train and evaluate proficiency of staff in new procedures and techniques and operation of equipment and instructions. Provide documentation assistance and training to ensure accurate and appropriate charts, records, and data is created and maintained.
- Ensure basic daily service needs of residents are satisfied as determined by the individual service plans and in accordance with regulatory requirements for direct care, dietary, housekeeping, activities, and maintenance needs.
- Responsible for the completeness and accuracy of the residents’ service plans and the Resident Medical Records. Coordinate and oversee service plan reviews in accordance with regulatory requirements or as required upon change of resident condition.
- Assist in preparation of reports for Quality Assurance team meetings.
- Oversee record retention and documentation management including accurate chart records, timely documentation, and compliance with regulatory standards and company policies and procedures.
- Make daily rounds in the facility for visibility, assessment and evaluation of care; ensure living spaces and work areas are neat, orderly, and compliant with sanitation standards; ensure adequate staffing; monitor for quality of resident care.
- Responsible for activities and monitoring of the Antibiotics Stewardship Program.
- Effectively develop and maintain relationships with employees, agencies, and other entities. Cultivate and monitor relationships with outside service providers, consultants, agencies and organizations to develop relationships to enhance the delivery of services to clients.
- Liaison to community; speak in public on behalf of Buckner. Represent Buckner at meetings, conventions, and seminars. Serve on internal and external committees as required. Serve as a member of the Quality Assurance, Infection Control, Pharmacy, and Safety Committees.
- Maintain compliance with all Buckner policies, procedures and requirements. Maintain compliance with all state and federal laws and regulatory requirements.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings and training as required. Facilitate meetings and trainings as required. Conduct staff meetings regularly with direct reports.
- Supervise, monitor, evaluate and provide direction to direct reports. Ensure optimal job performance; identify issues, discuss with staff and direct corrective actions; assist, guide and support supervisors with employee selection, review, evaluation and terminations.
- Develop emerging leaders for Buckner Retirement Services through professional growth and development; develop and communicate annual goals and objectives; monitor and provide constructive feedback; conduct annual performance evaluation in a timely manner.
- Assist, guide and support supervisors with employee selection, review, evaluation and terminations.
- Develop emerging leadership through professional growth and development.
- Responsible for supporting and representing Buckner at special events, activities and other assigned functions.
- Travel as needed to monitor, assess and help develop programs.
- Perform general office tasks as required. Accurately prepare and proofread letters, memos, spreadsheets and other correspondence daily. Review and process mail and other correspondence daily. Complete accurate and timely documentation. Take and appropriately handle phone calls daily.
- Detect and correct situations that have a probability of causing accidents or injuries to residents or others.
- Timely and accurately respond to requests from various departments, facilities, and/or entities.
- Perform special assignments, projects, and other duties as required.
What You’ll Bring to the Team
To be successful in this role and a great addition to our team we need you to come with the following
In addition to the amazing qualifications and experiences listed above, if we had our say, we would also look for:
- Requires in-depth understanding of nursing services provided in a long-term care setting. This field of knowledge is normally associated with the attainment of a bachelor’s degree in a related field plus prior related experience. Minimum 2 years prior related experience in a long-term care facility and/or geriatric nursing required. Must complete and/or meet training and certification requirements of Buckner and the State of Texas. LVN or RN with a current licensure by the Texas State Board of Nursing.
- Requires ability to effectively manage personnel; requires administrative skills to include but not limited to staff selection, development, motivation, scheduling, and evaluation.
- Prior experience recording and maintain patient data using an electronic health records system required.
- Requires successful completion of assisted living manager program recognized by the State of Texas.
- Requires thorough working knowledge of State of Texas regulatory requirements for assisting living licensure and certified Alzheimer’s licensure.
- Requires basic knowledge of food service regulations, fire and safety procedures, human resources policies and procedures, and the aging process.
- Requires knowledge of general nursing theory and practice, including basic knowledge related to nursing, such as drugs, biological, physical, social, and medical sciences, and their application. Requires working knowledge of infection control, universal precautions and OSHA standards.
- Requires knowledge of principles and methods involved in in-service instruction of nursing and ancillary personnel, in demonstrating techniques and methods of patient-care services, and in instruction of patients’ needs. Requires ability to teach computer related tasks.
- Requires familiarity with medical diagnoses, procedures, and accepted medical treatment patterns. Requires knowledge of procedures and techniques necessary to administer medication and treatment as prescribed by physician; knowledge of medications and possible side effects.
- Requires ability to appropriately and professionally communicate verbally with residents, families, visitors, and co-workers. Ability to make self clearly understood by others required.
- Requires ability to exercise independent judgment under broad nursing case guidelines. Exercise initiative, patience, tact and confidentiality; demonstrate supervisory and leadership ability; and ability to analyze and evaluate objectively. Requires ability to work under minimal supervision.
- Requires ability to comply with Patient’s rights, all regulatory requirements, and all company policies and procedures as stated now and in the future.
- Requires proficient ability to speak, read and write English.
- Requires a strong sense of diplomacy and demonstrated success in developing strong collaborative relationships with organizational peers and outside colleagues. Requires ability to relate positively, influentially, and sensitively to a broad spectrum of persons in a variety of multi-tiered relationships and settings.
- Requires recognized ability to meet multiple deadlines by maintaining a high level of organization.
- Requires ability to maintain composure, positive attitude and awareness of priorities in an environment of stress and frequent interruptions.
- Requires ability to keep accurate, detailed records and timely prepare routine reports.
- Requires demonstrated strong assessment and analytical skills, including an ability to synthesize large amounts of information and to focus quickly on the essence of an issue; strong commitment to producing measurable results.
- Requires ability to function in a fast-paced, high volume, multi-faced, results-oriented work environment and to analyze issues, identify priorities, manage projects and make decisions expeditiously.
- Requires experience developing, directing and managing multiple projects and implementing strategic program goals.
- Requires ability to provide strategic and logistical planning and facilitate meetings, trainings, and presentations as required.
- Requires proficient conflict management and problem-solving skills. Requires proficient working knowledge and experience in conflict management and problem solving.
- Requires ability to travel to various geographic locations using various modes of transportation with some overnight stays.
- Requires ability to drive assigned vehicle(s) or personal vehicle, with appropriate state license, following all laws applicable; must provide proof of liability insurance and must be eligible to be insured under Buckner’s insurance policy. Requires ability to rent vehicles both domestically and internationally using required documentation. Must be age 21 or older to drive on behalf of Buckner.
- Requires ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Requires proficient ability to exhibit detail-oriented skills necessary to understand and manage a wide-range of information.
- Requires in-depth ability to plan, administer, and report budgets.
- Requires proficient working knowledge of budgetary management and development of policies and procedures.
- Requires ability to provide strategic and logistical planning and facilitate meetings, conferences, workshops, and retreats as required.
- Proficient working knowledge and ability to accurately and timely operate and perform computer related tasks with specific equipment and software applications, including electronic medical records, Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook, required.
- Requires professional commitment to Christian principles and teachings so as to perform tasks and responsibilities in alignment with Buckner’s mission, vision, and values.
- Requires ability to use up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently and/or 10 pounds continuously to move objects.
- Requires ability to walk frequently; occasionally stand for prolonged periods of time; occasionally required to squat, climb stairs, kneel and twist. Required to sit for prolonged periods of time, including extensive airline travel.
- Requires ability to speak clearly and make self-understood in face-to face interactions; to articulate with extreme accuracy and precisions to give directions speak on the phone, etc.
- Requires sufficient good health to properly discharge duties. Employees shall not be permitted to work who have infectious disease or skin lesion for the duration of the communicability.
- Requires ability to comply with Resident rights, all regulatory requirements, and all Company policies, procedures and guidelines.
At Buckner one of the ways we show value to our team members is by offering the following perks:
- Medical and Dental benefits for employees and their eligible dependents;
- Life insurance;
- Short Term and Long Term Disability benefits;
- Paid Time Off and Holidays;
- Retirement Savings Plan; and
- The 5-Star Fun Benefit: encourages employees to spread good cheer to their co-workers and others, creating a happy, healthy environment for all!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Buckner is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Buckner.