About the Role
As a Evening Cook you will impact the lives of our members through serving meals that meet or exceeds Buckner quality standards.
What You’ll Do
As a member of our team you will have an impact on our clients through accomplishment of the following responsibilities:
- Prepare food items using Ventana standardized recipes and ensure that all food meets quality and service standards.
- Prepare meals based on menu requirements. Review menus and select appropriate ingredients and supplies in order to prepare for cooking meals, including selecting the appropriate amount of food for daily menus. Obtain necessary supplies from storage areas in adequate time for meal production.
- Cook breakfast, and/or lunch, and/or dinner meals that are nourishing, palatable and appetizing in appearance using standard recipes.
- Monitor quality of food items during production for taste, smell, appearance, and temperature.
- Prepare meals in a cost effective and efficient manner; utilize food items and equipment in a safe, efficient, and effective manner.
- Supervises line cooks
- Examines all plates to be served to ensure they meet the quality standards established by the executive Chef.
- Lead Cook is expected to review and inspect the cleaning done by culinary crew
- Provide training and coaching other cooks
- Oversee food handling and preparation throughout a kitchen.
- Monitor and evaluate staff and coordinate break schedules.
- Stock and maintain all food stations, ensuring hygienic work spaces.
- Answer guest questions about menu and preparation.
- Modify processes for routing and meeting orders according to time and quality standards.
- Writes Menus
What You’ll Bring to the Team
To be successful in this role and a great addition to our team we need you to come with the following:
- Work deals mostly with objects, equipment and/or machines where the job is at or within arm’s reach. Depth perception and field of vision (peripheral) are of some importance.
- Requires ability to safely utilize food service and preparation equipment and recognize differences in sound generated by equipment or machinery which may indicate operating problems or safety concerns.
- Requires ability to work under moderate supervision performing routine, standardized tasks.
- Requires ability to perform tasks with due consideration for residents and others in the vicinity and ability to cooperate and work with other employees.
- Requires ability to drive assigned vehicle(s) or personal vehicle, with appropriate state license, following all laws applicable; must provide proof of liability insurance and must be eligible to be insured under Buckner’s insurance policy.
- Requires ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Proficient working knowledge and ability to accurately and timely operate and perform computer related tasks with specific equipment and software applications required.
- A professional commitment to Christian principles so as to perform tasks and responsibilities in alignment with Buckner’s mission, vision, and values;
In addition to the amazing qualifications and experiences listed above, if we had our say, we would also look for:
- High school diploma or G.E.D. preferred. Minimum 1 year prior related experience required.
- Requires knowledge of food preparation, ingredients, recipes, and equipment used for dining facilities serving a minimum of 25 individuals.
- Requires knowledge of and ability to learn food serving, cleanliness and sanitation requirements.
- Requires ability to understand and follow basic written and oral step-by-step instructions.
- Requires proficient ability to speak, read and write English; ability to understand business documents which are written in English.
- Requires ability to communicate verbally in English with residents, families, visitors, co-workers, and others; ability to make self clearly understood by others in face-to-face interactions.
At Buckner one of the ways we show value to our team members is by offering the following perks:
- Medical and Dental benefits for employees and their eligible dependents;
- Life insurance;
- Short Term and Long Term Disability benefits;
- Paid Time Off and Holidays;
- Retirement Savings Plan; and
- The 5Star Fun Benefit: encourages employees to spread good cheer to their co-workers and others, creating a happy, healthy environment for all!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Buckner is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Buckner.