About the Role
As a member of the Camp Buckner summer staff you have the opportunity to impact the lives of campers and group leaders. From set up to tear down you will learn how to plan, facilitate, lead and serve through camp ministry. This role will include assisting housekeeping, food services, and grounds keeping. You will also be responsible for facilitating various activities including ropes course, canoeing/kayaking, archery, and life-guarding at the pool and the blob. Throughout each day’s tasks, you will be blessed with opportunities to serve as Christ served with all who enter Camp Buckner. Also, as a Camp Buckner Summer Staff Program participant you are a part of an international ministry and will have the unique opportunity to minister to at-risk children living in Buckner foster homes during our Buckner Children summer camp program.
Camp Buckner is an interdenominational, recreational, Christian retreat and conference center that offers services to churches, youth groups, businesses and other various ministries. We strive to bring glory to God in all things and provide a Christ centered atmosphere for each one of our guests.
Our summer camp program serves Church Youth Summer Camps who participate in traditional camp activities with a focus on Christian principles. We expect our summer staff to glorify God by exemplifying love, servant-hood, leadership, maturity, reliability, and dedication in all that they do. It is necessary for Camp Buckner Summer Staff to meet the physical demands of the camp atmosphere. This includes heightened physical activity and stamina. In addition, summer staff are expected to model a lifestyle that demonstrates Biblical standards and principles.
Check us out at www.campbuckner.org or call us at 512-756-7540 for more details about the job.
What You’ll Do
As a member of our team you will have an impact on our clients through accomplishment of the following responsibilities:
- Provide overall program support for summer camp guests by safely leading and supervising programs and activities.
- Lead summer camp guests to activities throughout the day.
- Monitor guest safety in all activity areas on camp grounds.
- Provide leadership, supervision and direction during camp activities. Ensure that all summer camp participants are aware of and abide by all safety program guidelines and policies.
- Provide safety and program instruction to summer camp participants for assigned activities; teach the associated knowledge and/or skills to participants to ensure activities are performed safely.
- Participate in and facilitate games, programs, and camp activities.
- Encourage and motivate summer camp guests to participate in activities.
- Prepare daily activities.
- Assist in basic housekeeping and food service duties.
- Assist in maintenance and upkeep of activity areas on campus. Ensure equipment/supplies are organized, secured, and sufficient. Check all activity equipment for safety prior to use.
- Monitor and maintain safety records, incident reports, and activity equipment care.
- Serve as a positive role model for summer camp guests.
- Attend and actively participate in summer staff discipleship program, mission projects, staff meetings, and training.
What You’ll Bring to the Team
To be successful in this role and a great addition to our team we need you to come with the following:
- Must be at least 18 years of age;
- This is a live in position; must remain on campus 24 hours a day and stay in Camp Buckner provided lodging;
- Successful completion of summer staff training and certification provided by Buckner;
- Ability to work outside in the Texas summer heat performing a variety of physical tasks;
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills to speak in front of large groups;
- Ability to drive camp vehicles when needed;
- A professional commitment to Christian principles so as to perform tasks and responsibilities in alignment with Buckner’s mission, vision, and values;
In addition to the amazing qualifications and experiences listed above, if we had our say, we would also look for:
- High School Diploma (or G.E.D.) plus successful completion of at least one semester of college;
- Past experience working at a summer camp or with a church youth group;
- Strong desire to learn.
At Buckner one of the ways we show value to our team members is by offering the following perks:
- The 5 Star Fun Benefit: encourages employees to spread good cheer to their co-workers and others, creating a happy, healthy environment for all!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Buckner is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Buckner.