About the Role
As a member of the Camp Buckner Activities Staff you have the opportunity to impact the lives of retreat guests and group leaders. From set up to tear down you will learn how to plan, facilitate, lead and serve through camp ministry. You will be responsible for facilitating various activities including ropes course, canoeing/kayaking, archery, and life-guarding at the pool and the blob. Throughout each day’s tasks, you will be blessed with opportunities to serve as Christ served with all who enter Camp Buckner. As a Camp Buckner team member you are a part of an international ministry and will have the unique opportunity to minister to a variety of retreat guests.
Camp Buckner is an interdenominational, recreational, Christian retreat and conference center that offers services to churches, youth groups, businesses and other various ministries. We strive to bring glory to God in all things and provide a Christ centered atmosphere for each one of our guests.
We expect our staff to glorify God by exemplifying love, servant-hood, leadership, maturity, reliability, and dedication in all that they do. It is necessary for Camp Buckner Summer Staff to meet the physical demands of the camp atmosphere. This includes heightened physical activity and stamina. In addition, staff are expected to model a lifestyle that demonstrates Biblical standards and principles.
Check us out at www.campbuckner.org or call us at 512-756-7540 for more details about the job.
What You’ll Do
As a member of our team you will have an impact on our clients through accomplishment of the following responsibilities:
- Provide overall program support for retreat guests by safely leading and supervising programs and activities.
- Lead/assist during retreat activities; direct guests to activities throughout the day and participate in activities as required.
- Monitor guest safety in all activity areas on camp grounds.
- Facilitate challenge course, archery range, or life guarding as required for guests within your level of training.
- Provide leadership, supervision and direction during camp activities. Ensure that all participants are aware of and abide by all safety program guidelines and policies.
- Provide safety and program instruction to participants for assigned activities; teach the associated knowledge and/or skills to participants to ensure activities are performed safely.
- Participate in and facilitate games, programs, and camp activities.
- Encourage and motivate guests to participate in activities.
- Prepare daily activities.
- Assist in basic housekeeping and food service duties.
- Assist in maintenance and upkeep of activity areas on campus. Ensure equipment/supplies are organized, secured, and sufficient. Check all activity equipment for safety prior to use.
- Monitor and maintain safety records, incident reports, and activity equipment care.
- Serve as a positive role model for camp guests.
- Attend and actively participate in staff meetings and training.
What You’ll Bring to the Team
To be successful in this role and a great addition to our team we need you to come with the following:
- High School Diploma (or G.E.D.) required.
- A current certification or a willingness to obtain and maintain a Level 1 challenge course certification from an ACCT (Association for Challenge Course Technology) accredited vendor.
- A current certification or the willingness to obtain and maintain certifications in Lifeguarding and Waterfront Skills from a Nationally Recognized Certification Program.
- A current certification or the willingness to obtain and maintain certifications in CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and Health Care Providers and Responding to Emergencies: First Aid from a Nationally Recognized Certification Program.
- A current certification or the willingness to obtain and maintain an Archery Instructor Training: Level 1 Certification provided by a certified trainer from USA Archery and the National Field Archery Association.
- Ability to work outside in various weather conditions performing a variety of physical tasks.
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills to speak in front of large groups.
- Ability to drive camp vehicles when needed. Must be at least age 21 with a current, valid drivers license and a clean driving record to be covered under Buckner's fleet insurance policy and drive Buckner vehicles.
- A professional commitment to Christian principles so as to perform tasks and responsibilities in alignment with Buckner’s mission, vision, and values.
In addition to the amazing qualifications and experiences listed above, if we had our say, we would also look for:
- Past experience working at a summer camp or with a church youth group;
- Commitment to providing excellence in customer service.
At Buckner one of the ways we show value to our team members is by offering the following perks:
- The 5Star Fun Benefit: encourages employees to spread good cheer to their co-workers and others, creating a happy, healthy environment for all!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Buckner is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Buckner.