BTIG seeks an Associate Equity Research Analyst to join our Healthcare/Life Sciences team on the Diagnostics and Life Sciences Tools team in New York. The associate will conduct fundamental research and analysis of publicly traded companies in the diagnostics, life science tools, labs, next-generation sequencing, personalized medicine, and animal health industries.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The associate’s main responsibility will be for the writing of equity research reports and financial modeling and financial statement analysis of companies under tight deadlines. Over time, the candidate will grow into the Senior Analyst’s trusted partner, assisting with all aspects of the franchise. Primary responsibilities:
- Writing – Write equity research reports on specific healthcare companies and take the lead in writing broader initiation reports and themed white papers in healthcare. Candidates must possess very strong writing skills and demonstrate the ability to write research reports using clear, precise language.
- Modeling – Update financial models of covered companies; build financial models of new companies and assist in financial forecasting. Candidate should possess experience creating financial statements and demonstrate knowledge of the valuation analysis of stocks, with a strong working knowledge of a variety of common financial statement analysis metrics and methodologies.
- Research and track coverage of company products, strategies, catalysts, and competitors, as well as relevant healthcare industry events and trends. Candidates should have a thorough and rigorous analytical process and be comfortable with the distillation of large volumes of disparate financial and industry data points.
- The associate must be comfortable engaging with various stakeholders in the healthcare sector, including clinicians and executives. The associate must be willing to occasionally travel to attend industry conferences.
- Candidate must possess strong oral communication and interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to clearly and simply communicate company-specific investment theses, stock trading concepts, and financial recommendations, in a tight, cogent manner.
- Assist in the communication of Senior Analyst’s stock recommendations and analysis with internal equity sales/trading staff initially, and with time/when ready, externally with institutional investors. Assist with interaction and help build relationships with coverage/sector company management teams.
- Candidate must have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment, often under tight time constraints, and be able to multi-task.
- Candidate will assist the senior analyst in building relationships with both public and private company executives and interact with these executives on a daily/weekly basis.
- Passionate about stocks and the financial markets. Some experience investing is preferred.
- Four year bachelor's degree from a leading university.
- Strong written and oral communication skills. Highly qualified candidates will be asked to provide one or more writing samples.
- Financial modeling skills. Highly qualified candidates will be asked to provide modeling examples of at least one public company stock in Excel.
- Candidate must have an exceedingly strong work ethic, be highly self-motivated, highly organized, proactive, simultaneously manage multiple tasks, and have a strong attention to detail. Ideal candidate will be quick on their feet, a fast learner and highly responsive.
Requirements & Qualifications:
- One to three years' experience in equity research, investment banking, or finance, or related internships. Strong preference to candidates with relevant work experience or internship experience in equity research (buyside or sellside). Candidates with industry experience in life sciences also will be considered.
- Superior writing, quantitative, and analytical skills.
- Preferred candidates will hold a Bachelor's degree in Finance, Economics, Biotechnology, Biology, Engineering or Accounting. Healthcare industry experience is a plus, but is not required.
- Completion of or progress towards a Master’s in Finance or CFA preferred, but not required.
- MBA's and/or Ph.D.'s in Biomedical Engineering or equivalent will be considered.
- Series 7, 63, 86, 87 exams will be required soon after starting the position, but are not prerequisites
- BTIG offers competitive compensation and is required by law to include an estimate of the salary range for each role. Salary range is based on a variety of factors including, but not limited to, location, years of applicable experience, skills, qualifications, licensure and certifications, and other business and organization needs.
- The current base salary range for this role is $90,000 - $130,000 per year. Please note that certain positions are eligible for additional forms of compensation such as discretionary bonus.
- Must be authorized to work full time in the U.S., BTIG does not offer sponsorship for work visas of any type
- No phone calls please, the applicant will be contacted within two weeks if successful
BTIG is a global financial services firm specializing in institutional trading, investment banking, research and related brokerage services. With an extensive global footprint and more than 750 employees, BTIG, LLC and its affiliates operate out of 23 cities throughout the U.S., and in Europe, Asia and Australia. BTIG offers execution, expertise and insights for equities, equity derivatives, ETFs and fixed income, currency and commodities (futures, commodities, foreign exchange, interest rates, credit, and convertible and preferred securities). The firm’s core capabilities include global execution, portfolio, electronic and outsource trading, investment banking, prime brokerage, capital introduction, corporate access, research and strategy, commission management and more. https://www.btig.com/Disclosures.aspx
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. BTIG is an equal opportunity employer Minorities/Females/People with Disabilities/Protected Veterans/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.