BSR is a global nonprofit organization that works with its network of more than 280 member companies to build a just and sustainable world. From its offices in Asia, Europe, and North America, BSR develops sustainable business strategies and solutions through consulting, research, and cross-sector collaboration. Visit www.bsr.org for more information about BSR’s nearly 30 years of leadership in sustainability.
We are proud to have a team of some of the industry’s most talented and motivated people working on sustainability in our global offices in Copenhagen, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, New York, Paris, San Francisco, Shanghai, and Tokyo.
BSR partners with leading international organizations and companies to advance our major priorities, which include building net zero value chains and climate-resilient communities and increasing corporate leadership on sustainability. We catalyze business action by delivering insight, solutions, and collaborations.
Over the past several years, BSR has carried out leading work with businesses on climate change, focused on alignment with the Paris Agreement. Over the next 5 years we envision that implementation of net zero value chain goals will become ubiquitous, that implementation of the recommendations of the Task force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) will become ubiquitous, that some companies will act to support climate justice, and that companies will begin to formulate objective, science-based goals for non-climate environmental issues.
The Director, Climate Change, will join and co-lead a team committed to making this company action as impactful as possible. This includes developing and directing grant-funded thought leadership and research, new and existing collaborative initiatives, and consulting work with BSR’s over 280 member companies.
Together with leaders of BSR’s climate team, the Director will refine the team’s priorities, manage the team’s work and drive successful business development to achieve impact. This will demonstrate progress against BSR’s mission to work with business to build a just and sustainable world, create value for BSR members and other partners, and reach yearly objectives including those related to financial sustainability.
The Director will collaborate with BSR colleagues and with other partners in the ecosystem of climate and sustainability organizations, and will represent BSR at external events.
The role requires the successful candidate to partner effectively with BSR colleagues driving key industry relationships, and driving other areas of expertise such as business transformation, supply chain management, human rights, women’s empowerment and diversity, equity and inclusion. The Director will draw from an established set of BSR tools to facilitate business development activities, while continuing to innovate and evolve our approach.
- Project Direction: The Director will shape BSR’s delivery of grants, collaborative initiatives and advisory services on climate change. The Director will typically oversee 5-10 ongoing initiatives & projects at any one time, working actively with project teams and providing thought partnership to project managers. The Director will also more actively engage with projects of particular interest or where the Director has specific issue expertise.
- Thought Leadership and External Representation: The Director will represent both BSR and our Climate Change efforts to external audiences by presenting at industry conferences, writing publications, forming beneficial external partnerships; developing and maintaining strong relationships with key stakeholders, and creating other opportunities to raise the profile of BSR’s climate work.
- Internal Management: The Director will serve as a representative of the climate team in internal management meetings, strategy discussions and budget planning.
- Strategy Refinement: The Director will work alongside other climate directors to annually refine the team’s strategy to prioritize issues and initiatives where BSR can deliver maximum impact.
- Business Development: The Director will lead efforts to secure support for climate change engagements, building on a base of support already secured for this work. This will involve business development with BSR’s over 280 member companies, as well as private foundations, public sector funders, and others. The director is expected to build long-term, mutually beneficial relationships with member companies, funders and partners to advance our climate priorities.
- Degree, and strong preference for Master’s degree, in business, law, public policy, or other relevant discipline required.
- At least 10 years of experience in climate, non-profit organizations, or other relevant institutions required, demonstrating a strong understanding of the issues, ability to develop and maintain business relationships, generate business opportunities, and deliver on multiple projects under tight deadlines.
- Proven track record in developing financial support from business, private foundations, or public-sector funders to enable project implementation.
- Demonstrated expertise on how the private sector addresses climate change. . Expertise with emissions reductions in hard-to-abate sectors of the economy is a plus.
- Consulting experience and experience with company sustainability teams are a significant plus.
- Experience helping companies implement the TCFD recommendations is a plus.
- Proven leadership and management skills, including a demonstrated ability to mentor other team members.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent presentation and facilitation skills.
- Language skills: Fluent in English, with an additional major language strongly preferred.
- Willingness to undertake up to 25% business travel post COVID.
- Collaborative mindset and the intellectual agility to work with companies across various industries, and with colleagues who are expert on other sustainability issues.
- High ethical standards and commitment to BSR core values of Leadership, Respect and Integrity.
- Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation.
BSR is committed to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. As a global organization, BSR strives to represent a culmination of different perspectives, backgrounds, cultures, and ideas. BSR encourages employees to be themselves and share their unique stories, as these initiatives foster a global environment of creativity, forward thinking, and open-mindedness. These values drive the innovative work of our staff and support BSR’s overarching mission to build a just and sustainable world.
At BSR, discrimination because of age, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and/or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by regional laws, is not condoned. BSR strives to maintain a fair and inclusive working environment. Thus, these factors do not influence recruitment, performance management processes, and project assignments. BSR aims to support necessary accommodations and has a zero-tolerance policy for discriminatory behavior and retaliation in response to the needs of our employees.