BSR is a global nonprofit organization that works with its network of more than 250 member companies to build a just and sustainable world. From its offices in Asia, Europe, and North America, BSR develops sustainable business strategies and solutions through consulting, research, and cross-sector collaboration. Visit www.bsr.org for more information about BSR’s more than 25 years of leadership in sustainability.
We are proud to say that we have a team of some of the most talented and motivated people in the industry working in our global offices in Copenhagen, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, New York, Paris, San Francisco, Shanghai, and Tokyo.
The Human Rights Manager will join BSR’s team of 20+ human rights experts in supporting companies across industries to respect human rights and improve corporate human rights performance. Specific projects may include conducting human rights assessments, developing human rights risk prevention and mitigation measures and remediation plans, developing and reviewing human rights policies, developing human rights strategies, and supporting human rights reporting and stakeholder engagement efforts. The Manager will work with the Human Rights team and other industry directors to grow existing relationships and build new opportunities. This includes contributing to BSR’s research, thought leadership, and external engagement. The Manager will also be responsible for building and maintaining relationships with the business and human rights community internationally and locally.
The person in this position will work with companies across a range of industries with a focus on the following sectors: Consumer Products; Food, Beverage, and Agriculture; Energy and Extractives; Industrials; Financial Services; Healthcare; and/or Transport and Logistics. They will predominantly manage projects for companies based in the EMEA region, for this reason BSR’s Paris or Copenhagen office is the preferred location for the successful candidate.
Managers work collaboratively across BSR’s industry and practice teams on a range of consulting, grant-funded projects, and collaborative initiatives. Managers ensure exceptional project execution and high-quality engagement with BSR member companies and other partners.
- Project Management and Implementation: Assume responsibility for implementing consulting and grant-funded projects, which includes overseeing project scope, timeline, deliverable quality and budget; managing clients and project teams; providing subject matter expertise; conducting primary research, including leading stakeholder interviews; utilizing tools; and presenting at and facilitating client meetings.
- Member and Client Management: Maintain day-to-day client relationships; oversee member relationships; and support member recruitment and business development.
- Team management: Lead project teams to effectively execute project objectives, outcomes, and impacts; establish the standards by which the project will be guided, including managing senior team members; and support team members’ learning and skills development.
- Master’s degree in business, sustainability, human rights, or related field and 7 years of relevant professional experience from a top-tier consulting firm, NGO, or similar role in a consumer-facing company or equivalent education and experience.
- Significant experience working on business and human rights issues. This may include consulting to companies on human rights, working in NGOs and civil society organizations, implementing human rights programs in the field, or undertaking and publishing significant research on human rights issues in a business context.
- Experience in one or more of the following sectors: Consumer Products; Food, Beverage, and Agriculture; Energy and Extractives; Industrials; Financial Services; Healthcare; or Transport and Logistics.
- Proven track record of success in working with business in a client/customer-facing position. Well-developed interpersonal skills for high-level interaction with members and other companies.
- Experience managing multiple, disparate projects simultaneously.
- High degree of fluency in English, with fluency in a second language a plus.
- Excellent presentation and facilitation skills. Strong organizational skills.
- Passionate about human rights and BSR’s mission to advance human rights through its work with the private sector.
- Willingness to undertake up to 25% business travel post COVID.
- High ethical standards and commitment to BSR core values of leadership, respect, and integrity.
- Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation.
BSR is committed to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. As a global organization, BSR strives to represent a culmination of different perspectives, backgrounds, cultures, and ideas. BSR encourages employees to be themselves and share their unique stories, as these initiatives foster a global environment of creativity, forward thinking, and open-mindedness. These values drive the innovative work of our staff and support BSR’s overarching mission to build a just and sustainable world.
At BSR, discrimination because of age, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and/or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by regional laws, is not condoned. BSR strives to maintain a fair and inclusive working environment. Thus, these factors do not influence recruitment, performance management processes, and project assignments. BSR aims to support necessary accommodations and has a zero-tolerance policy for discriminatory behavior and retaliation in response to the needs of our employees.