BSR is a global nonprofit organization that works with its network of more than 250 member companies and other partners to build a just and sustainable world. From its offices in Asia, Europe, and North America, BSR develops sustainable business strategies and solutions through consulting, research, and cross-sector collaboration. Visit www.bsr.org for more information about BSR’s 25 years of leadership in sustainability. We are proud to say that we have a team of some of the most talented and motivated people in the industry working in our global offices in Copenhagen, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, New York, Paris, San Francisco, Shanghai, and Tokyo.
The Manager will be responsible for supporting BSR’s work with companies as part of the Infrastructure team with a specific focus on Energy & Extractives. This person will have significant responsibility and autonomy in developing client relationships and managing the consulting projects.
BSR’s global consulting work with Energy and Extractives companies covers a range of sustainability topics and encompasses a range of work, such as stakeholder and community engagement and development efforts; assessing human rights impacts, risks, and opportunities; sustainability strategy development; developing risk mitigation strategies, policies, and impact management plans; supporting sustainability and human rights reporting; and addressing human rights in the supply chain.
The position is full-time to be based in BSR’s San Francisco (preferred) or New York offices.
The successful applicant will be:
- Passionate about BSR’s mission to create a just and sustainable world through its work with the private sector.
- Comfortable in a high-performing, fast-paced, entrepreneurial, and challenging work environment.
- Client ready, with significant experience in developing and delivering presentations to engage senior clients.
- Structured and analytical in communication and work products.
- Experienced in managing several projects simultaneously.
The Manager will assume responsibility for managing member relationships and projects. This will require:
- Managing several projects concurrently.
- Leading the intellectual agenda for projects, shaping the scope, methodology, and approach.
- Maintaining day-to-day company relationships.
- Preparing for and leading workshops.
- Leading and guiding production of company-ready work products.
- Managing multiple project teams of BSR colleagues (typically 3-4 people).
- Developing and managing to a clear project timeline and budget.
- Ensuring consistent delivery of best-in-class work products.
- Working with the Energy and Extractives team to grow existing relationships and build new opportunities. This includes contributing to BSR’s research, thought leadership, and external engagement.
Candidates with the below specific requirements will be considered:
- Master’s degree or advanced study from top-tier program in human rights, sustainability, or related discipline is not required, but is preferred.
- At least 5-10 years of relevant professional experience in a high-performing, fast-paced, and challenging work environment e.g. consulting firm or civil society organization.
- Experience (at least 5+ years) working with, or in, the energy & extractives industry.
- Demonstrated consulting experience specifically in developing and maintaining client relationships; pursuing and creating business opportunities; and managing multiple projects under tight deadlines strongly preferred.
- Deep content knowledge and experience in human rights, supply chain, environment, or sustainable development.
- Experience in developing CSR-related methodologies such as: human rights risk assessments, sustainability reporting, social/environmental risk assessment, strategy design & implementation, or social/environmental impact indicator development.
- Well-developed leadership and people skills, including a demonstrated ability to enhance the skills and effectiveness of other team members.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Willingness to undertake international business travel up to 25%.
- Language skills: Fluent in English. Fluency in Spanish strongly preferred.
- Capacity to work and thrive in a growing, fast-paced, entrepreneurial organization with a collaborative environment.
- High ethical standards and commitment to BSR core values of leadership, respect and integrity.
- Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation
As part of our dedication to diversity, BSR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at BSR are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.