BSR is a global nonprofit organization that works with its network of more than 250 member companies and other partners to build a just and sustainable world. From its offices in Asia, Europe, and North America, BSR develops sustainable business strategies and solutions through consulting, research, and cross-sector collaboration. Visit www.bsr.org for more information about BSR’s 25 years of leadership in sustainability. We are proud to say that we have a team of some of the most talented and motivated people in the industry working in our global offices in Copenhagen, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, New York, Paris, San Francisco, Shanghai, and Tokyo.
The Director, Sustainability Management, will be responsible for building and leading BSR’s Sustainability Management work with companies headquartered in the U.S This role will work with companies across industry sectors, and will include sustainability strategy development, risk management, stakeholder engagement, reporting and disclosure, and supply chain management.
The Director will be part of BSR’s global Sustainability Management practice and work closely with the team to develop business opportunities and to deliver consulting projects that provide high value to BSR members as well as non-member companies interested in improving their sustainability performance.
This position is full-time, based in New York or San Francisco.
- Consulting Services and Project Directorship: The Director will play a leading role in delivering consulting services to member and non-member companies across a range of sectors in U.S. The Director will provide oversight—and often hands-on support—for the delivery of best-in-class consulting services to companies. The Director will typically oversee 7-10 ongoing projects at any one time, working actively with project teams, and providing thought partnership to project managers.
- Business Development and Member Engagement: The Director will be responsible for recruiting new member companies, deepening relationships with business leaders in U.S based companies, and developing new business opportunities across the region. The Director will be responsible for driving revenue generation in partnership with BSR’s global industry and area of expertise leaders. The Director will draw from an established set of BSR tools and cases to facilitate these business development activities.
- External Representation: The Director will represent BSR to external audiences in the U.S, by presenting at relevant industry conferences; demonstrating thought leadership through writing and publishing blogs, reports, etc.; forming beneficial external relationships and partnerships; and proactively working to create opportunities to raise the profile of BSR more broadly.
Note: ONLY candidates with these specific requirements will be considered:
- Master’s degree in business, law, public policy, environmental management, or other relevant discipline required.
- Track record of success in business development, client/relationship management, and exercising influence with senior leaders.
- Significant business / consulting experience (at least 12-15 years) required to perform the key functions of a consulting leader, including: developing and maintaining senior-level client relationships; pursuing and creating business opportunities; and overseeing multiple projects under tight deadlines.
- Existing network of contacts.
- Deep knowledge and experience in key sustainability management content areas, such as: sustainability management and strategy, risk management, stakeholder engagement, reporting and disclosure, and supply chain management.
- Knowledge and experience related to business processes such as strategic planning, organizational development, risk management, change management, etc.
- Proven leadership and people skills, including a demonstrated ability to mentor other team members to improve skills and effectiveness.
- Outstanding verbal, written, and facilitation skills.
- Capacity to work and thrive in a growing, fast-paced entrepreneurial organization with a collaborative environment.
- High ethical standards and commitment to BSR core values of Leadership, Respect and Integrity.
- Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation.
As part of our dedication to diversity, BSR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at BSR are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.