BSR is a global nonprofit organization that works with its network of more than 260 member companies and other partners to build a just and sustainable world. From its offices in Asia, Europe, and North America, BSR develops sustainable business strategies and solutions through consulting, research, and cross-sector collaboration. Visit www.bsr.org for more information about BSR’s 25 years of leadership in sustainability.
We are proud to say that we have a team of some of the most talented and motivated people in the industry working in our global offices in Copenhagen, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, New York, Paris, San Francisco, Shanghai, and Tokyo.
BSR seeks to hire a Manager within its Partnership Development team to support the development of concepts and proposals and engage with donors in pursuit of grant funding. BSR implements a wide variety of programs with support from foundations and bilateral/multilateral donors to further our mission of creating a just and sustainable world. Our grant funded projects are implemented globally and seek to harness the organizational, operational, technological, and financial acumen of the private sector, working with partners from civil society, the public sector, and others in the pursuit of more environmentally and socially sustainable development.
We seek to create projects that contribute to achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) through business action. As such, it is critical that the Manager thrives in an organizational environment that connects the private sector with the sustainability and development agendas.
The Manager will play a key role in analyzing business intelligence to design grant-funded projects, preparing project proposals, and partnering with the Directors of the Partnership Development team to secure funding from international donors.
This position is based in either New York or Paris.
Proposal Management and Preparation:
As the central element to this role, the manager will be responsible for managing the grant proposal preparation process, assembling the proposal team, and producing compelling proposals that align with the priorities of BSR membership and donors. This includes both technical and financial aspects and will also involve working with BSR’s area of expertise teams (e.g., climate change, women’s empowerment, human rights, and inclusive economic growth).
The Manager will work alongside team leadership to facilitate team problem analysis and ideation exercises with BSR’s area of expertise teams (see above) and to identify strategic solutions to solve sustainable development challenges and corresponding potential grant opportunities.
The Manager will regularly review the donor landscape and analyze the outputs of the donor intelligence system to identify priority donors for funding of specific projects. The manager will also partner with the co-Directors of the Partnership Development team to conduct outreach to new donors or strengthen existing relationships with governments and foundations as needed. This will include analyzing output from the donor business intelligence function, implementing donor engagement plans, and monitoring project reporting to donors. The Manager will work in concert with the co-Directors of Partnership Development, based in New York and Paris, and donor account relationship managers to strengthen relationships.
The Manager will support the development of tools and templates and suggest and implement process improvements in the Partnership Development team. This could include, for example, improvements in proposal and budget templates, or the development of donor-facing materials such as one-pagers or PowerPoint presentations.
The Manager may be asked to contribute to the implementation of projects to a limited degree.
- Master’s degree in sustainable development, business administration, international relations, international law, environmental economics, environmental engineering, human rights, climate change, or related field.
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience, including extensive experience in developing and writing high quality grant proposals. Demonstrated expertise developing theory of change and logframes, budgets, and work plans for complex, multi-year and global projects.
- Good understanding of corporate sustainability and the private sector’s role in achieving the SDGs and/ or one of BSR’s Areas of Expertise
- Knowledge of the international donor landscape and trends, with demonstrable success in securing grant funding from a diverse group of donors including private and corporate foundations and governments.
- Ability to drive strategic work and engage colleagues around collective action/implementation.
- Fluent in written and conversational English; additional language skills are a plus.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills for managing diverse teams, including across diverse geographies and interacting with senior staff in donor organizations.
- Excellent presentation and facilitation skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office; experience with Salesforce and Microsoft SharePoint Online a plus
- Capacity to work and thrive in a growing, fast-paced entrepreneurial organization and collaborative environment.
- High ethical standards and commitment to BSR core values of leadership, respect, and integrity.
- Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation.
As part of our dedication to diversity, BSR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at BSR are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.