BSR is a global nonprofit organization that works with its network of more than 250 member companies and other partners to build a just and sustainable world. From its offices in Asia, Europe, and North America, BSR develops sustainable business strategies and solutions through consulting, research, and cross-sector collaboration. Visit www.bsr.org for more information about BSR’s 25 years of leadership in sustainability. We are proud to say that we have a team of some of the most talented and motivated people in the industry working in our global offices in Copenhagen, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, New York, Paris, San Francisco, Shanghai, and Tokyo.
Reporting to the Communications and Marketing Manager responsible for Collaborative Initiatives (CIs), the Communications Associate, CI plays an important role in helping BSR to communicate its work on multiple private sector collaborations, which tackle systemic challenges related to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) such as climate change, economic inequity, and gender inequality.
The position sits within a larger global communications and marketing function charged with organizational branding and messaging, media relations, social media, content marketing, web content, design and collateral, and event marketing and production. The team is comprised of staff based in San Francisco, New York, Copenhagen and Paris. This position will be based in BSR’s Paris or New York office.
The Communications Associate, Collaborative Initiatives will work particularly closely with program leads from the HERproject, the Maritime Anti-Corruption Network, and the Clean Cargo Working Group, but will also offer support to other CIs within BSR’s portfolio for the planning and execution of communications and marketing campaigns.
- Serve as communications point of contact within the global BSR Collaborations team
- In partnership with the Collaborations Directors and with support from the Communications leadership team, develop annual communications plans for major collaborations including HERproject, MACN, and Clean Cargo Working Group
- Provide regular input and strategic guidance for CI portfolio communications, e.g. brief annual plans for existing CIs, launch plans for new CIs
- Serve as communications point of contact for CI teams and members, and develop strategic communications approaches and tactical workplans for major milestones.
- Design and manage collective brand engagement campaigns for HERproject
- Identify and pitch speaking roles for CI Directors at major external events and forums globally
- Support on the promotion and sometimes help with the execution of CI meetings, webinars, and events in various global locations
- Provide support to the Global Communications/Collaborations teams during the annual BSR Conference
- Maintain social media accounts and influencer lists, and regularly publish posts/ads for key CIs (HERproject, Clean Cargo, Building Responsibly, GBCAT, Railsponsible)
- Develop media pitches and lists of target reporters for key collaboration announcements
- Track and report on earned media hits for CIs
- Create engaging digital content for HERproject and CIs to use on social media, such as sample posts, visual cards, and videos
- Design and develop websites as needed for new CIs and manage regular updates of existing CI websites
- Oversee development of independent branding for high-profile CIs (logos, templates, messaging)
- Produce quarterly newsletters and special announcements by creating/editing and coding content in email marketing tool (Pardot)
- Copyedit editorial content such as blogs, decks, presentations, one-pagers, and reports supporting
- A bachelor’s degree in communications, media, journalism, or a related field
- 2-4 years of work experience in journalism, communications, or marketing function, with experience in one or more of the following subject matter areas: nonprofit communications/marketing, sustainable business, global development, climate change, human rights, women’s empowerment, or economic inclusion.
- Experience developing communications and marketing strategies and tactical plans
- Experience developing messages, including for social and digital media platforms, and segmented by topic/sector/audience.
- Solid understanding of editorial and story/content development
- Experience working within a team environment
- High ethical standards and commitment to BSR’s core values of leadership, integrity, and respect.
- Highly entrepreneurial and self-directed working style.
- Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation.
Additional skills which would be advantageous:
- Experience working with Content Management Systems such as Wordpress or Squarespace
- Basic familiarity with HTML and email marketing systems
- Familiarity with the Adobe Creative Suite
As part of our dedication to diversity, BSR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at BSR are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.