BSR is a global nonprofit organization that works with its network of more than 250 member companies and other partners to build a just and sustainable world. From its offices in Asia, Europe, and North America, BSR develops sustainable business strategies and solutions through consulting, research, and cross-sector collaboration. Visit www.bsr.org for more information about BSR’s 25 years of leadership in sustainability. We are proud to say that we have a team of some of the most talented and motivated people in the industry working in our global offices in Copenhagen, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, New York, Paris, San Francisco, Shanghai, and Tokyo.
The Director, Sustainability Consulting, EMEA will be responsible for building and leading BSR’s work with companies headquartered in EMEA, with a particular emphasis on French companies. This role may include a focus on working with companies in the following industries: financial services, industrial and utilities, manufacturing, and energy and extractives. The work will span across focus areas such as sustainability strategy, human rights, and inclusive economy.
The Director will be part of BSR’s global Sustainability Management practice and work closely with the team to develop business opportunities and to deliver consulting projects that provide high value to BSR members as well as non-member companies interested in improving their sustainability performance.
This position is full-time, based in Paris.
- Consulting Services and Project Directorship: The Director will play a leading role in delivering consulting services to member and non-member companies across a range of sectors in EMEA, with a particular focus on the French market. The Director will provide oversight—and often hands-on support—for the delivery of best-in-class consulting services to companies. The Director will typically oversee 7-10 ongoing projects at any one time, working actively with project teams, and providing thought partnership to project managers.
- Business Development and Member Engagement: The Director will be responsible for recruiting new member companies, deepening relationships with business leaders in EMEA-based companies, and developing new business opportunities across the region. The Director will be responsible for driving revenue generation in partnership with BSR’s global industry and area of expertise leaders. The Director will draw from an established set of BSR tools and cases to facilitate these business development activities. In addition, the Director will serve as an account relationship manager for 5-8 global companies headquartered in EMEA, most likely in the financial services, industrial and utilities, manufacturing, transportation, and/or energy and extractives sectors. The Director may also be required to provide services to companies in other sectors/locations according to business needs.
- External Representation: The Director will represent BSR to external audiences in EMEA, particularly in France, by presenting at relevant industry conferences; demonstrating thought leadership through writing and publishing blogs, reports, etc.; forming beneficial external relationships and partnerships; and proactively working to create opportunities to raise the profile of BSR more broadly.
Note: ONLY candidates with these specific requirements will be considered:
- Master’s degree in business, law, public policy, environmental management, or other relevant discipline required.
- Track record of success in business development, client/relationship management, and exercising influence with senior leaders.
- Significant business / consulting experience (at least 12-15 years) required to perform the key functions of a consulting leader, including: developing and maintaining senior-level client relationships; pursuing and creating business opportunities; and overseeing multiple projects under tight deadlines.
- Significant experience working with, or in, at least one of the following sectors: financial services, industrial and utilities, manufacturing and/or energy and extractives.
- Proven experience working with the French market, knowledge and understanding of French and European relevant regulation (e.g. Devoir de Vigilance), existing network of contacts.
- Deep knowledge and experience in key sustainability content areas, such as: sustainability management and strategy, human rights, or inclusive economy.
- Knowledge and experience related to business processes such as strategic planning, organizational development, training programs, performance management, change management, etc.
- Proven leadership and people skills, including a demonstrated ability to mentor other team members to improve skills and effectiveness.
- Outstanding verbal, written, and facilitation skills.
- Willingness to undertake business travel (~ 30% time).
- Language skills: Bilingual English and French. Other European languages a plus.
- Capacity to work and thrive in a growing, fast-paced entrepreneurial organization with a collaborative environment.
- High ethical standards and commitment to BSR core values of Leadership, Respect and Integrity.
- Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation.
As part of our dedication to diversity, BSR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at BSR are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.