BSR is a global nonprofit organization that works with its network of more than 250 member companies and other partners to build a just and sustainable world. From its offices in Asia, Europe, and North America, BSR develops sustainable business strategies and solutions through consulting, research, and cross-sector collaboration. Visit www.bsr.org for more information about BSR’s 25 years of leadership in sustainability. We are proud to say that we have a team of some of the most talented and motivated people in the industry working in our global offices in Copenhagen, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, New York, Paris, San Francisco, Shanghai, and Tokyo.
The Manager, Sustainability Management Practice, will play an important role in BSR’s Sustainability Management practice, which incorporates BSR’s approaches to strategy, corporate governance, stakeholder engagement, and sustainability reporting. The Manager will deliver consulting and grant-funded projects that provide high value to BSR members, and assist with development of BSR’s point of view on the future of sustainability management at companies. The Manager will work collaboratively across BSR’s industry and area of expertise teams, and with colleagues based in all of BSR’s offices.
This position is full-time, based in New York or San Francisco, though Paris and Copenhagen will also be considered.
The successful applicant will be:
- Passionate about BSR’s mission and above-mentioned focus areas.
- Comfortable in a high-performing, fast-paced, entrepreneurial and challenging work environment.
- Client ready, with significant experience in developing and delivering presentations to engage senior clients.
- Structured and analytical in communication and work products.
- Experienced in managing several projects simultaneously.
Project Management (50% of total time): The Manager will assume responsibility for managing member relationships and projects. This will require:
- Managing several projects concurrently
- Leading the intellectual agenda for projects, shaping the direction for what the project should achieve and how to get there
- Maintaining day-to-day client relationship
- Preparing for and leading client workshops
- Leading and guiding production of client-ready work products
- Managing the project team of BSR colleagues (typically 3-4 people)
- Developing and managing to a clear project timeline and budget
- Ensuring consistent delivery of best-in-class work products
Business development and thought leadership (50% of total time):
The Manager will work with the Sustainability Management Team and other BSR Directors to help establish a BSR point of view on the future of sustainability management, taking into consideration the ambition required to achieve BSR’s mission, lessons learned from 25 years of sustainability management practice, and emerging global business and sustainability trends. Topics might include:
- Methods for the integration of sustainability into business strategy.
- Perspectives on the integration of sustainability into corporate governance, including board governance and the relationship with ethics, integrity, and anti-corruption.
- A refreshed BSR materiality methodology, tool, and process
- Perspectives on the future of sustainability reporting and disclosure
- Stakeholder engagement strategies
This point of view will be used to develop BSR tools and methodologies, and support the development of new project opportunities. This approach could include assisting with and/or leading proposal writing, publications, staff training, marketing collateral, and an overall go-to-market plan.
The manager will also be responsible for building/maintaining relationships with relevant sustainability management organizations, such as the various reporting framework organizations.
Candidates with the below specific requirements will be considered:
- Master’s degree from top-tier program in public affairs, international development, business, law, or other relevant discipline.
- Significant experience (at least 5 years) in a high-performing, fast-paced and challenging environment.
- Experience working on sustainability management issues, which could include consulting to companies on sustainability reporting, strategy, materiality, governance, ethics, or stakeholder engagement.
- Experience working with one or more BSR industries.
- Consulting experience and/or proven ability to perform the key functions of a consultant, including: developing and maintaining client relationships; pursuing and creating business opportunities; and managing multiple projects under tight deadlines.
- Significant experience working closely with senior clients.
- Well-developed leadership and people skills, including a demonstrated ability to enhance the skills and effectiveness of other team members
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (i.e. structured, concise, impactful).
- Willingness to undertake business travel (~ up to 25% time)
- Capacity to work and thrive in a growing, fast-paced entrepreneurial organization with a collaborative environment.
- High ethical standards and commitment to BSR core values of Leadership, Respect and Integrity.
- Spanish, French, Chinese, Japanese, and/or other language skills are a plus.
- Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation.
As part of our dedication to diversity, BSR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at BSR are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.