BSR is a global nonprofit organization that works with its network of more than 250 member companies and other partners to build a just and sustainable world. From its offices in Asia, Europe, and North America, BSR develops sustainable business strategies and solutions through consulting, research, and cross-sector collaboration. Visit www.bsr.org for more information about BSR’s 25 years of leadership in sustainability.
We are proud to say that we have a team of some of the most talented and motivated people in the industry working in our global offices in Copenhagen, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, New York, Paris, San Francisco, Shanghai, and Tokyo.
The Manager, Women’s Empowerment will be part of BSR’s Women’s Empowerment team working on a range of advisory services and consulting projects, grant-funded projects, and collaborative initiatives. The Manager will work collaboratively across BSR’s industry and issue area teams, in particular with the HERproject, human rights, and inclusive economy teams.
BSR’s women’s empowerment practice works with our members to develop compelling and impactful women’s empowerment strategies that drive business success and women’s advancement. We provide a range of women’s empowerment solutions to global companies, including direct corporate consulting work to develop impactful diversity and inclusion strategies and programs; collaborative solutions that seek to address broader systemic challenges facing women workers, particularly in global supply chains; and direct capacity-building and access solutions for women workers. This position would contribute to all aspects of the practice, including working on our signature collaboration, HERproject, and managing the Business Action for Women program. This position will especially focus on work with the consumer products, apparel, food and agriculture, technology, and financial services sectors.
The manager will also be a part of the larger regional (New York or Paris) team and may support other sustainability projects beyond women’s empowerment as needed.
The position is full-time, based in New York OR Paris.
The successful applicant will be:
- Passionate about BSR’s mission and above-mentioned focus areas.
- Comfortable in a high-performing, fast-paced, entrepreneurial, and challenging work environment.
- Client ready, with significant experience in developing and delivering presentations to engage senior corporate clients.
- Experienced in working on gender and diversity projects/programs with companies.
- Structured and analytical in communication and work products.
- Experienced in managing several projects simultaneously.
Project Management (75% of total time):
- Managing several projects concurrently, including managing the Business Action for Women collaboration
- Working seamlessly across corporate consulting and grant-funded projects.
- Working seamlessly across issues facing women workers in advanced and developing economies and in both the workplace and factory setting.
- Leading the intellectual agenda for projects, shaping the direction for what the project should achieve and how to get there.
- Maintaining day-to-day client relationships.
- Preparing for and leading client workshops.
- Leading and guiding production of client-ready work products.
- Managing the project team of BSR colleagues (typically 2-4 people).
- Developing and managing to a clear project timeline and budget.
- Ensuring consistent delivery of best-in-class work products.
Business development and thought leadership (25% of total time):
The Manager will work with the Women’s Empowerment team and other Directors to grow the existing relationships and build new opportunities. This also includes contributing to BSR’s research, thought leadership, and external engagement. The Manager will also be responsible for building/maintaining relationships with the broader Women’s Empowerment and Diversity community and developing BSR’s network in these areas.
- Master’s degree in relevant discipline.
- Significant experience working on women’s empowerment and workplace related issues including gender equality, diversity and inclusion, supply chain responsibility, inclusive growth, human rights, or other related issue areas.
- Relevant experience could include experience implementing corporate women’s empowerment programs, consulting to companies on women’s empowerment/gender equality, working in civil society organizations on women’s empowerment in the context of the private sector, or undertaking and publishing significant research on women’s empowerment and workplace related issues.
- Consulting experience and/or proven ability to perform the key functions of a consultant, including: developing and maintaining client relationships; pursuing and creating business opportunities; and managing multiple projects under tight deadlines.
- Significant experience working closely with senior clients and funders.
- Well-developed leadership and people skills, including a demonstrated ability to enhance the skills and effectiveness of other team members
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (i.e. structured, concise, impactful).
- Willingness to undertake business travel
- Capacity to work and thrive in a growing, fast-paced entrepreneurial organization with a collaborative environment.
- High ethical standards and commitment to BSR core values of leadership, respect, and integrity.
- Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation
As part of our dedication to diversity, BSR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at BSR are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.