BSR is a global nonprofit organization that works with its network of more than 250 member companies and other partners to build a just and sustainable world. From its offices in Asia, Europe, and North America, BSR develops sustainable business strategies and solutions through consulting, research, and cross-sector collaboration. Visit www.bsr.org for more information about BSR’s 25 years of leadership in sustainability.
We are proud to say that we have a team of some of the most talented and motivated people in the industry working in our global offices in Copenhagen, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, New York, Paris, San Francisco, Shanghai, and Tokyo.
The Human Resources (HR) Director will lead BSR’s human resources function and organizational development efforts. BSR is looking for an experienced, knowledgeable, and entrepreneurial individual to lead BSR’s core HR activities, including recruiting and developing talent, reinforcing organizational culture, driving all operational aspects of HR, and supporting the organization’s growth. This is an excellent opportunity to be part of a collegial, global, mission-driven organization that works to promote a more just and sustainable world.
BSR currently has approximately 140 employees in eight offices in North America, Europe, and Asia and has ambitions to continue to grow. BSR’s HR vision includes four focus areas:
- Ensuring strong HR practices in a global organization: BSR is a complex and evolving global organization, requiring systematic, lean HR processes that support our employees and business operations, comply with all laws and regulations where we do business, and ensure timely and accurate implementation of our strategy.
- Protecting and promoting our culture: BSR has a strong organizational culture that needs to be nurtured, reinforced, and celebrated across all our locations.
- Attracting, developing, and retaining talent: BSR attracts and develops committed, entrepreneurial, and globally-minded staff, creating a world-class team. We are committed to fostering sustainability leaders to deliver on our mission and provide top-notch service to our member companies.
- Enabling organizational growth: BSR has the current and future access to human capital it needs to perform effectively—the right people with the right skills, employed in the right place and at the right time to deliver on the organization’s objectives. Supporting the business in understanding skills and knowledge gaps and how these should be addressed is a part of this; it also entails considering how BSR’s structure should evolve as the organization grows so that it continues to deliver its services efficiently and effectively.
To support these priorities, the Director of HR will have a mix of strong business acumen, organizational development, and human resources expertise, as well as strength in collaborative leadership to guide and develop the HR function. The successful candidate will be adept at managing human resources and organizational development objectives in a global context, including different legal frameworks and cultures.
Working at both the strategic and tactical levels, the Director will partner across the organization with functional, industry, and geographic-area leaders and members of BSR’s executive team. The Director will oversee the core human resources team in San Francisco and also work with additional staff responsible for advancing elements of the human resources strategy and operations in our other offices.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Serve as the senior staff person at BSR responsible for organizational development and culture, playing a lead role in creating a work environment that reflects BSR’s values and makes the work experience at BSR productive, challenging, and fun.
- Collaborate with business leads to spearhead the development of HR strategies and approaches to attract, develop, and retain talent in the business.
- Provide leadership in developing, recommending, and implementing staff policies and procedures and managing employee relations that support the mission of the organization, balancing empathy with the need to apply organizational policy in a fair and consistent way.
- Maintain knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation and ensure the organization's compliance in accordance with applicable legislation in all of its global entities.
- Develop and manage employee performance accountability systems (goal-setting, performance evaluation, and promotions).
- Create, manage, and contribute to staff development programs and initiatives.
- Contribute to BSR’s overall goals, strategies, and operational effectiveness.
- Develop and oversee budget for HR and related functions; manage staff, vendors, and contractors globally.
- Work in conjunction with BSR’s Finance Department and outside payroll providers to manage payroll; maintain oversight of employee records.
- Administer benefits programs, such as life, health, and dental insurance, pension plans, vacation, sick leave, leave of absence, and employee assistance.
- Manage HR team and indirectly a number of support staff across the organization.
- Participate on committees (Safety and Security, Women’s Empowerment Principles) and special projects as needed.
- A minimum of ten years of work experience, of which at least three years include leadership responsibilities for a broad range of human resources functions, ideally in an organization known for its leadership practices in corporate responsibility.
- Experience in purpose-driven and/or professional services organizations strongly preferred.
- SPHR, SPHR-CA or GPHR preferred.
- Ability to see the big picture while also being a hands-on leader.
- Solid experience with HR policy and law in a global organization and across multiple countries, particularly locations where majority of BSR staff is based.
- Proven and successful ability to build, lead, and integrate effective and lasting people management programs within a business.
- A proven track record of internal change management and knowledge of organizational development.
- Demonstrated capacity to lead recruiting and staffing at senior levels.
- Exceptional skills assessing, coaching, and counseling senior managers and diverse employee groups.
- Demonstrated organizational and project management capabilities.
- Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity in a global context and helping to create a culture where differences are welcomed and respected.
- A strong commitment to high ethical standards and to a progressive workplace culture.
- Ability to persuasively present ideas to an executive team and obtain buy-in for key initiatives.
- High degree of adaptability and proven skills managing multiple responsibilities in a constantly changing setting.
- Outstanding interpersonal, facilitation, and oral and written communication skills.
- Highly motivated and effective team player.
- Ability and experience with conflict resolution processes.
- Ability to work across global time zones and undertake periodic business travel.
- Capacity to work and thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- High ethical standards and commitment to BSR core values of leadership, respect and integrity.
- Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation.
As part of our dedication to diversity, BSR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at BSR are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.