BSR is a global nonprofit organization that works with its network of more than 250 member companies and other partners to build a just and sustainable world. From its offices in Asia, Europe, and North America, BSR develops sustainable business strategies and solutions through consulting, research, and cross-sector collaboration. Visit www.bsr.org for more information about BSR’s 25 years of leadership in sustainability.
We are proud to say that we have a team of some of the most talented and motivated people in the industry working in our global offices in Copenhagen, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, New York, Paris, San Francisco, Shanghai, and Tokyo.
The Consumer Sectors Manager will be part of the team working with companies in BSR’s Consumer Sectors (CS) cluster in the U.S., including in the consumer products (fashion, retail, beauty) and food, beverage, and agriculture sectors. The Manager will partner on BSR’s work with consumer sectors globally, but will focus on developing and executing projects with the sector in this region.
The Manager will work closely with BSR directors and managers to deliver consulting and grant-funded projects that provide high value to BSR members and other leading companies that are interested in improving their sustainability performance, as well as lead in ensuring high-quality engagement with BSR member companies and support business development efforts. This position is full-time and based in New York.
- Consulting/Member Engagement and Services: The Manager will play a key role in delivering consulting services to member and non-member companies in CS. The primary areas of focus will be supply chain sustainability and responsible sourcing—and broad sustainability management, including sustainability strategy development, CSR reporting, and business integration—but the Manager will be responsible for understanding and servicing clients across all areas of expertise.
- The Manager may be required to provide services to companies outside of CS or the U.S. according to business needs. In addition, the Manager will manage several key member relationships and provide member support to drive recruitment and retention for the sector.
- Business Development: The Manager will have responsibility for developing new business opportunities across BSR’s CS portfolio.
- Project Implementation: The Manager will assume responsibility for designing and implementing advisory services projects with members and non-members. The role includes budgeting and forecasting; people management; industry expertise; primary research, including industry stakeholder interviews; solution development; and presentation and facilitation skills. The Manager role requires keen data analysis and synthesis to develop client-specific recommendations. The Manager should expect to allocate up to 70 percent of her/his time to project implementation.
- Collaborative Action: The Manager will support collaborative action initiatives in the U.S. and globally, helping to drive innovative approaches to creating business and social value for participating companies.
- External Representation: The Manager will represent BSR and the CS practice to external audiences, especially in U.S., by presenting at industry conferences, writing publications, forming beneficial external partnerships, and creating other opportunities to raise the profile of BSR more broadly.
The ideal candidate must be able to thrive in an international and entrepreneurial environment, working at the nexus between business and society. The candidate must be able to plan, execute, and continuously improve his/her work independently and/or in close collaboration with colleagues, as appropriate.
The candidate is expected to have demonstrated excellence in business development and project management within a sustainability context, either from within a corporation or in a consulting position.
- Master’s degree in business and/or sustainability/CSR preferred.
- Subject matter expertise across focus areas, including sustainability management, supply chain, and consumer-facing sectors. Additional expertise in one of BSR’s areas of expertise a clear advantage (i.e., human rights, climate change, inclusive economy, women’s empowerment).
- 7-10 years of relevant professional experience from a top-tier consulting firm; NGO working with business (implementation role); or a CSR/sustainability, corporate affairs, business development, or similar role in a consumer-facing company.
- Proven and demonstrated track record of success in working with business in a client/customer-facing position.
- Experience managing multiple, disparate projects simultaneously.
- Fluent in both written and conversational English; fluency in Spanish, French, or other language a plus.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills for high-level interaction with members and other companies.
- Excellent presentation and facilitation skills.
- Capacity to work and thrive in a growing, fast-paced, entrepreneurial organization with a collaborative environment.
- Ability to undertake business travel 25 percent of the time or more.
- High ethical standards and commitment to BSR core values of leadership, respect, and integrity.
- Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation.
As part of our dedication to diversity, BSR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at BSR are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category