Bed-Stuy New Beginnings:
Bedford Stuyvesant New Beginnings Charter School is an elementary and middle school proudly serving the students in our neighborhood in Brooklyn, affectionately known worldwide as 'Bed-Stuy'. Opened in 2010, we serve more than 670 scholars in Kindergarten - Eighth Grade through the pursuit of 21st century learning, project based & service learning, and traditional coursework strategies, students will be prepared to succeed in academically competitive schools as well as become responsible citizens of the global community.
We offer you the opportunity to change the future: one scholar at a time. Each BSNBCS Scholar (present and future) deserves the chance to receive the quality education they need to help prepare them for academic success and growth. You also deserve to work in environment that is collaborative, fosters professional growth and development, and that empowers each staff member to take ownership of the learning environment in their classrooms or functional area. This is your chance to join a great team with the intent of teaching young minds, helping our scholars grow, work in key roles within the school, and to develop your career.
Our Elementary Associate Teachers:
Our Elementary Associate Teachers are a key component to our Lower School Team. These teachers are NOT teaching assistants. They are equal partners in a classroom co-teaching team. Our Associate teachers are teachers who are just beginning their careers or who are certified in other states and are pending their New York State Teacher Certification. Some have recently completed student teaching or may have been working in another capacity within a school environment and are completing their certification process. Our Elementary Associates are committed to receiving coaching to develop their instructional practice and turning elementary learning into exciting, engaging, and rigorous opportunities for each and every scholar.
We foster a culture of excitement about learning for our students by partnering together to create vibrant learning environments focused on project and inquiry based learning. We have a co-teaching model that allows our classroom teachers to partner together to ensure our scholars are engaged with rich and rigorous lesson material. We have a collaborative environment that is designed to help our scholars engage in their studies as well as in their natural curiosities and to embrace a culture that is based on restorative practices; allowing our scholars to feel connected, empowered, and respected.
A day in the life of our Elementary Associate Teachers:
- You will collaborate with your fellow teachers to ensure our curriculum meets and exceeds the common core standards of learning.
- You will partner with your lead teacher to create and implement creative lesson plans based on the needs of your scholars and that are in accordance with the BSNBCS Mission.
- Collaborate with other Associate Teachers to share best practices you can professional grow as a team
- You will work closely with your lead teacher to create and implement multifaceted unit and lesson plans across multiple subjects based on the needs of your scholars.
- You’ll regularly report student progress while maintaining accurate and up to date records related to scholars’ achievement and performance.
- You’ll take an active role in your professional development by identifying and creating opportunities that expand your skills as an educator.
- BSNBCS puts a big focus on our community, so you will need to take an active role in community outreach.
- You’ll need a strong understanding of and ability to implement the BSNBCS Mission, Vision and Values.
- Learning should be fun, so we want you to enjoy teaching and make every effort to make the learning environment engaging and exciting for your scholars!
What you need to bring to the table:
- You should have a valid and current New York State Teacher Certification. If you are not certified to teach in New York State, you must be actively working toward becoming certified to teach in New York via one of the NYS approved teacher certification pathways.
- You MUST have a Bachelor Degree in Education or related field
- You MUST clear a fingerprint background check to work in any school in NY, so we require all teachers to be cleared through IdentoGo prior to starting employment with us. This cannot be waived and must be complete PRIOR to starting employment with us.
- You should have at least 1-3 years of classroom teaching experience, preferably in an urban school.
What we offer you:
- A full-time position with a competitive salary that is commensurate with your experience and qualifications
- Amazing benefits! As a member of the team, your care and well being are a top priority. You will have a great benefits package that is not only affordable but includes all the perks and benefits you deserve!
- We offer all of our staff tuition reimbursement and reimbursement for professional fees associated with attaining NY State Teacher and Teaching Assistant Certifications.
- The opportunity to shape the future. Each of our scholars has the potential to do great things. All they need is you to help show them how they can succeed!
- A friendly and collaborative working environment: Our classrooms use a co-teaching model that encourages partnership and collaboration with your fellow teachers. We provide weekly professional learning community engagement and opportunities to participate in school wide activities!
- The chance to grow as a professional: You will be offered many opportunities to refine your skills and grow as a professional educator through quality professional development opportunities offered throughout the year!
- A learning environment that is innovative and creative: You will be empowered to be to take ownership of the learning environment in your classroom through 21st learning that is focused in project based, and inquiry based learning systems!
Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis. Once we have received your application, we will review your qualifications and experience as quickly as possible and get back to you within one week of submission.