Middle School Math Instructional Coach (6-8)
Bed-Stuy New Beginnings:
Bedford Stuyvesant New Beginnings Charter School is an elementary and middle school proudly serving the students in our neighborhood in Brooklyn, affectionately known worldwide as 'Bed-Stuy'. Opened in 2010, we serve more than 670 scholars in Kindergarten - Eighth Grade through the pursuit of 21st century learning, project based & service learning, and traditional coursework strategies, students will be prepared to succeed in academically competitive schools as well as become responsible citizens of the global community.
We offer you the opportunity to change the future: one scholar at a time. Each BSNBCS Scholar (present and future) deserves the chance to receive the quality education they need to help prepare them for academic success and growth. You also deserve to work in environment that is collaborative, fosters professional growth and development, and that empowers each staff member to take ownership of the learning environment in their classrooms or functional area. This is your chance to join a great team with the intent of teaching young minds, helping our scholars grow, work in key roles within the school, and to develop your career.
Our Math Instructional Coach:
Our Math Instructional Coach is a key player in the development of our learning environment. You will provide vital teacher and instructional support by coaching and mentoring our teachers in instructional technique, lesson planning and delivery, and classroom management. Experienced in driving student success and achievement, you must be able to model the effective learning and instructional techniques that will foster growth in both our teachers and our scholars.
As the Math Instructional Coach, you will work with the Middle School Director to ensure each member of the instructional staff for grades 6-8 is receiving the coaching, mentoring, observation, training and support they need to help their professional development and improve the learning environment in their classrooms. You will need to be collaborative and patient with your coaching techniques and mentorship style. You will must be able to set the example while being an open-minded learner who is devoted to the evidence-based practices that promote student achievement and teacher development.
A day in the life of our Instructional Coach:
- Research and provide staff support that will improve teaching and learning – including: conceptual understanding teaching strategies, assessment of math skills, interpretation, and use of assessment results, etc.
- Research, prepare materials, and identify resources for use by the district, teams, schools, and teachers – including: teaching strategies, assessment of math skills, and interpretation and use of assessment results, etc.
- Provide information and guidance regarding a range of effective and innovative math practices through various activities such as: individual discussions (informal and formal), coaching sessions, demonstration lessons with pre- and post- discussion/analysis, study groups, staff meetings, and professional development programs.
- Provides support and assistance to all classroom teachers in the full implementation of the school’s adopted math program through data analysis/interpretation.
- Conducts demonstration lessons to ensure that all teachers have been trained to an advanced level of delivery and are using the instructional materials as designed.
- Provides on-site staff development to ensure that teachers are knowledgeable about program components and understand the instructional design of how the program meets the standards (alignment).
- Assists teachers in building an interactive classroom and assures that recommendations for improvement are implemented.
- Serves as a resource in identifying appropriate instructional strategies and interventions to improve student achievement for all students.
- Assists teacher in preparation pacing for instruction.
- Participation in collaborative grade level meetings and Professional Learning Communities to assist in the analysis and utilization of assessment data to improve the focus of instructional planning and student achievement.
- Assists grade level teams in setting goals for improved instruction and RTI implementation.
- Meets regularly (weekly) with the assistant principal to review benchmarks and established data points to assess student progress towards established instructional goals.
What you need to bring to the table:
- You MUST have a valid and current New York State Teacher Certification in Elementary, Middle School or Special Education (or equivalent).
- You MUST clear a fingerprint background check to work in any school in NY, so we require all teachers to be cleared through IdentoGo prior to starting employment with us. This cannot be waived and must be complete PRIOR to starting employment with us.
- Five years recent experience teaching math in grades 6-8
- A deep level of understanding of the Common Core State Standards for Math
- Participation in comprehensive math training
- You MUST have 1-3 years of experience coaching teachers in a professional setting
- You must have a measurable and proven track record of teaching success in a NY District or Charter School
- Evidence of strong planning and organizational skills
- Evidence of successful leadership in reading and writing content at a grade level, building level or district level
- Experience in conducting math development; Experience in mentoring/coaching teachers
- In-depth knowledge of a variety of reading and writing instructional strategies necessary to support the Common Core State Standards for Math
- A strong commitment to team collaboration through Professional Learning Communities Performance Responsibilities
What we offer you:
- A full-time position with a competitive salary that is commensurate with your experience and qualifications
- Amazing benefits! As a member of the team, your care and well-being are a top priority. You will have a great benefits package that is not only affordable but includes all the perks and benefits you deserve!
- The opportunity to shape the future. Each of our scholars has the potential to do great things. All they need is you to help show them how they can succeed!
- A friendly and collaborative working environment: Our classrooms use a co-teaching model that encourages partnership and collaboration with your fellow teachers. We provide weekly professional learning community engagement and opportunities to participate in school wide activities!
- The change to grow as a professional: You will be offered many opportunities to refine your skills and grow as a professional educator through quality professional development opportunities offered throughout the year!
- A learning environment that is innovative and creative: You will be empowered to be to take ownership of the learning environment in your classroom through 21st learning that is focused in project based, and inquiry based learning systems!
Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis. Once we have received your application, we will review your qualifications and experience as quickly as possible and get back to you within one week of submission.