Brunswick is a strategic advisory firm focused on critical issues. Our purpose is to help the great value-creating organizations of the world play a more successful role in society. We advise on critical issues at the center of business, politics and society, and help our clients – the leaders of large, complex organizations – understand and navigate these interconnected worlds. Brunswick is one firm globally, operating as a single profit center. This allows us to respond seamlessly and effectively to clients’ needs wherever they are in the world. Founded in London in 1987, Brunswick’s global partnership has grown organically to 27 offices in 18 countries. We began as a M&A and financial communications firm and, over time, expanded our capabilities and expertise to crisis communications and communications on other business critical issues. We invested in new offices, sectors and a wider variety of offers for clients such as public and regulatory affairs, major litigation, business and society, cyber, employee engagement and digital. Our in-house creative agency, Brunswick Creative, delivers creative, visual content for clients.
Our CEO is Neal Wolin, based in Washington, D.C. Our Chairman is Sir Alan Parker, based in
Brunswick’s Japan Business
Brunswick has been advising on Japan-related issues for over a decade and today has a team of Japan specialists which spans Asia, Europe and the Americas. The firm helps many of Japan’s leading businesses to navigate critical situations such as crisis, M&A, activist campaigns, restructuring and litigation, including engaging effectively with institutional investors, regulators, the media, employees, shareholder activists, NGOs and other key audiences. Brunswick also helps many multi-national corporates to engage effectively in high-stakes situations with key audiences and stakeholders in Japan. Brunswick formally opened its Tokyo office in 2020. Today, the global team comprises more than 15 multi-lingual, Japan specialists with diverse backgrounds who provide seamless, around-the-clock advice and support for clients in intense situations.
Brunswick Group is seeking a Director with deep experience in planning and executing business strategy and organizational change, the Japanese financial industry (investment banking or asset management), business strategy development or stakeholder engagement, based in Tokyo. Directors are able to leverage their own specialized skills and backgrounds while operating in Brunswick’s generalist environment.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Deliver strategic advice to leadership or senior executives of clients (Japanese and multi-national corporations in Japan), drawing on business strategy, organizational change, financial communications, legal or corporate reputation, crisis and issue management, or other specialist expertise
- Work closely with global colleagues in Asia and other regions and help lead Global Japan Team (Tokyo, Hong Kong, London, Washington DC and San Francisco) to provide strategic advice and implementation support for the clients’ business and strategic communications issues
- As part of implementation support for clients, influentially engage with key stakeholders including the media, investors, regulators
- Keep the partner and other team members informed of account and project status
Business & Team Development
- Source new business opportunities; along with partners, apply knowledge and experience to lead pitch teams and drive the pitch preparation
- Assist in pitches for colleagues across regions and sectors
- Help to build Brunswick’s brand in Japan by maintaining strong external networks with bankers, lawyers, journalists, investors, academics, and other key influencers in Japan and beyond
- Foster development of team members’ skills and client handling ability by identifying and addressing challenges
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to think strategically and creatively, discuss complex issues in a constructive and solution-oriented way
- Highly structured logical and analytical thinking skills, write thoughtful, well-structured content
- Deep experience in an advisory role, equipped with a problem-solving skill set
- Good understanding of Japanese business, finance, journalism, government, legal or professional services industry
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and operate in fast pace, high stakes, client service environment
- Confidence in managing teams of five or more people
- Solid work experience in a business strategy consulting firm with executing more than a couple of strategic projects
- As a manager, able to organize issues, plan strategies, drive the preparation of materials, and lead client interactions while providing direction to staff
- Exceptional research and writing skills on Japanese business and financial issues
- Self-motivated, energetic team player
Building a Diverse, Equal and Inclusive Team
We are committed to embedding a culture and working environment that actively promotes diversity and inclusion and safeguards against discrimination and unfavourable treatment of our people in all aspects of employment including recruitment, promotion and training opportunities.
We recognise the differences that a diverse workforce can bring. We believe that we’re stronger and can serve our clients better when we draw upon the combined strength of all of our employees and we are committed to encouraging a working climate that respects and promotes equality.
We have a responsibility to ensure that there is no unlawful discrimination and that equal opportunities are available for all of our people