About Brunswick’s Japan Business
Brunswick has been advising on Japan-related issues for over a decade and today has a team of Japan specialists which spans Asia, Europe and the Americas. The firm helps many of Japan’s leading businesses to navigate critical situations such as crisis, M&A, activist campaigns, restructuring and litigation, including engaging effectively with institutional investors, regulators, the media, employees, shareholder activists, NGOs and other key audiences. Brunswick also helps many multi-national corporates to engage effectively in high-stakes situations with key audiences and stakeholders in Japan.
Brunswick formally opened its Tokyo office in 2020. Today, the global team comprises more than 15 multi-lingual, Japan specialists with diverse backgrounds who provide seamless, around-the-clock advice and support for clients in intense situations.
Brunswick Group is seeking an Executive to join the team in our Tokyo or London office. Executives are able to leverage their own specialized skills and backgrounds while operating in Brunswick’s generalist environment.
As an executive, you will deliver timely news updates and analysis–markets, media, political and broader stakeholder –and in doing so develop a strong understanding of clients’ businesses.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
Client Contribution & Handling
- Deliver high-calibre work and provide strong support to client teams
- Draft, proofread and edit documents and client ‘essentials’, playing a key role in research and analysis for document creation
- Day-to-day account logistics, such as agendas, briefing notes and action reports
- Market intelligence, such as corporate snapshots, bios and sector news
- Press releases, Q&A and key message documents
- Proactively demonstrate an avid interest in clients’ business and remain well-informed on all relevant sectors / media
- Provide research and analysis on media coverage, relevant trends, and events
- Identify and analyse news articles as it relates to clients and relevant industries
- Demonstrate a strong handle project logistics for media meetings, announcement days and other client events
Teams & Community
- Actively socialise ideas, knowledge, and recommendations to the wider team
- Actively pursue additional responsibility and take initiative on teams
- Ensure colleagues are continuously informed of project timelines and deliverables
- Demonstrate curiosity and awareness of current and relevant global issues in business, politics, and society
- Actively seek out professional growth by pursuing new client assignments that offer new learning opportunities
- Interested in continuous feedback and constructive criticism for improvement
- Attend and engage in internal learning opportunities and training sessions
- Write thoughtful, well-structured content; considering audience and tone
- Analyse and distil complex information
- Exhibit discretion with sensitive and confidential information
- Question and challenge in constructive ways; present ideas confidently and respectfully
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
At Brunswick, we look to hire smart, ambitious individuals who are dedicated to learning and growth. In addition to considering experience when reviewing talent, we look to see potential, strong work ethic, and excellent written and verbal communications skills. Standout candidates demonstrate the following:
- 1-4 years of relevant work experience (communications, media, financial, legal, etc.)
- Strong interest in business issues and communication strategy
- Ability to operate effectively in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment
- Exceptional written and verbal communication ability
- Energetic team player with strong self-motivation
- Ability to think strategically and creatively, with strong problem-solving skills
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to multitask in high-pressure situations
- Exhibit discretion with confidential client matters
- Ability to exhibit discretion with confidential client matters
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products and digital media tools
- Basic understanding of financial terminology
- Working knowledge of Factiva, Bloomberg, ThomsonOne, CisionPoint, Gorkana, EdgarPro, or other research resources
- Previous experience or internships in finance, media or PR, a plus
- A junior advisor with experience and / or deep interest in counselling clients on business-critical issues (e.g. crisis, M&A, financial situations, geopolitical, etc.)
- Adept at navigating and succeeding within high-performance, entrepreneurial environments
- Excellent communicator with strong emotional intelligence
- Entrepreneurial and collaborative spirit
- Terrific sense of humour
- Native-level Japanese and high proficiency in English
Brunswick is a strategic advisory firm focused on critical issues. Our purpose is to help the great value-creating organizations of the world play a more successful role in society.
We advise on critical issues at the center of business, politics and society, and help our clients – the leaders of large, complex organizations – understand and navigate these interconnected worlds.
Brunswick is one firm globally, operating as a single profit center. This allows us to respond seamlessly and effectively to clients’ needs wherever they are in the world.
Founded in London in 1987, Brunswick’s global partnership has grown organically to 27 offices in 18 countries. We began as a M&A and financial communications firm and, over time, expanded our capabilities and expertise to crisis communications and communications on other business critical issues. We invested in new offices, sectors and a wider variety of offers for clients such as public and regulatory affairs, major litigation, business and society, cyber, employee engagement and digital. Our in-house creative agency, Merchant Cantos, delivers creative, visual content for clients.
We rank number 1 in the world over the last five years by global deal value and global deal volume and were named Band 1 advisors in the U.S. and the UK earlier this year by Chambers and Partners, the legal rankings service, as one of the very top communications firms offering legal and litigation support work.
Our CEO is Neal Wolin, based in Washington, D.C. Our Chairman is Sir Alan Parker, based in London.